Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grain-loving mom just got diagnosed with diverticulosis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Grain-loving mom just got diagnosed with diverticulosis

    Hi all,

    My mom was recently diagnosed with diverticulosis. She and I don't get along very well, but I still care about her. Part of the reason we don't get along is because she has bought into CW 110% and thinks my lifestyle (high fat, high protein, low carb, grain and dairy free) is dangerous.

    She eats TONS of grains. I'm almost 100% convinced that this is what caused her problems in the first place. Is there any way I can convince her to lay off the muesli breakfasts and the sandwiches for lunch (on bread that makes nice claims on the package but is full of nasty shit, which, if I point that out to her, she tells me I need to relax, a little bit of something's not gonna kill me, etc.)?

    I've tried explaining to her that living in a perpetual state of carb-burning is not a good idea, but she insists that eating a lot of fat is even worse. If I try to press her as to why she thinks that or where she got her info, she'll shut me down, say she's not trying to have a debate, things like that.

    She's one who thinks all diseases can be cured with "fiber," thus the grain-eating. She's still doing some processed grains, too, like Cheerios and "whole wheat flour"... Thinks organic food is a "hoax"...

    Is there anything I can do to convince her to cut down on grains? Any articles linking overconsumption of grains to diverticulosis or other intestinal disorders?

    Thanks guys!
    Last edited by 2ndChance; 09-26-2012, 10:23 AM.

  • #2
    I have not read it but perhaps the book Fiber Menace should be on the reading list.

    Comment


    • #3
      There is nothing you can do, except to keep your own eating habits healthy.

      As much as you may care about her (I too have a fat unhealthy mother) she won't change unless she wants to, and my guess is that most people don't want to. Change is difficult for people because it means venturing into the unknown, and sometimes for them, "the devil they know is better than the devil they don't."
      Female, age 51, 5' 9"
      SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

      Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
      2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

      Comment


      • #4
        Wow! Are we the same person? My mother is having horrible colon issues, of course, the Dr.s have told her to up fiber and even prescribed a extra strength metamucil. Of course, she is still miserable. Poor thing, 73 goes #2 10-12 times a day. I discussed with her laying off the gluton, but she only has one kidney with minimal function, so she feels the extra vegetables (potassium) would be dangerous.

        She has told me with tears in her eyes how she feels my brother and I (both primal) will develop diverticulitis because there is no way to get enough fiber. The good Drs give her "great information on increasing grains". She has lost well over 100 pounds in the last 6 years, by eating less. However, she has lost a kidney, her gall bladder, increasing colon problems... Funny, she takes the Drs advice while in the same breath stating she doesn't trust them. She see's my brother and I regularly enough to know we are healthy.

        Sorry to go rant on your post, but I think this is part of becoming adult children, we are set up to now worry about our parents.
        Primal since 4/7/2012

        Starting weight 140
        Current weigh 126

        www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

        Jennifer

        Comment


        • #5
          Yeah, my parents think I'm weird. Even though my dad will get on any gimmick to lose weight.
          "Though she be but little, she is fierce!" - William Shakespeare

          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post964333 (My journal)

          Comment


          • #6
            Elsevier

            This is only an abstract ... you'd have to pony up $30 to read the whole study, but the conclusions are noted on the abstract.

            Conclusions
            A high-fiber diet and increased frequency of bowel movements are associated with greater, rather than lower, prevalence of diverticulosis. Hypotheses regarding risk factors for asymptomatic diverticulosis should be reconsidered.


            p.s. ... as a parent of adult children, I know how hard it is to take "direction" and/or counsel from some one you diapered. Especially when we had to endure the years where said child knew it all so well encyclopedias were not necessary in the house. The best thing you can do is wait patiently for her to ask you. She knows you are doing something different and eventually, hopefully, she will come to the conclusion that if she keeps doing what she's always done, her outcome will not change. She will need to want to change. Let her ask you.

            In the meantime, is there someone mutually acquainted with the both of you who could help you reach her ... without her knowing it's you behind the "intervention"?
            Last edited by HilaryJ; 09-26-2012, 01:20 PM. Reason: to add the ps

            Comment


            • #7
              I have diverticulosis, my GE Dr. said I have the gut of an 80 year old man. I am 60. It was discovered in a colonoscopy. But I've never had an attack of diverticulitis. Since going primal my gut feels and performs a lot better. Before I had bloating and constipation occasionally to the point of discomfort. I tried the recommended high fiber approach and it only made things worse. Something like metamucil would feel like a block of concrete was passing through my gut. This is part of what led me to search for another way. Primal is much lower bulk and now everything works out just fine, so to speak. TMI maybe, but to paraphrase, insanity is doing the same thing again and expecting a different result. Sometimes you have to try something new, and sometimes (like primal) it works.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by JennGlob View Post
                Wow! Are we the same person? My mother is having horrible colon issues, of course, the Dr.s have told her to up fiber and even prescribed a extra strength metamucil. Of course, she is still miserable. Poor thing, 73 goes #2 10-12 times a day. I discussed with her laying off the gluton, but she only has one kidney with minimal function, so she feels the extra vegetables (potassium) would be dangerous.

                She has told me with tears in her eyes how she feels my brother and I (both primal) will develop diverticulitis because there is no way to get enough fiber. The good Drs give her "great information on increasing grains". She has lost well over 100 pounds in the last 6 years, by eating less. However, she has lost a kidney, her gall bladder, increasing colon problems... Funny, she takes the Drs advice while in the same breath stating she doesn't trust them. She see's my brother and I regularly enough to know we are healthy.

                Sorry to go rant on your post, but I think this is part of becoming adult children, we are set up to now worry about our parents.
                "I can't see the forest for the trees"....... unfortunate but not within your control....
                ----------------------------------------
                F, 48, 5'10"
                Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
                Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

                Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Tercio View Post
                  I have diverticulosis, my GE Dr. said I have the gut of an 80 year old man. I am 60. It was discovered in a colonoscopy. But I've never had an attack of diverticulitis. Since going primal my gut feels and performs a lot better. Before I had bloating and constipation occasionally to the point of discomfort. I tried the recommended high fiber approach and it only made things worse. Something like metamucil would feel like a block of concrete was passing through my gut. This is part of what led me to search for another way. Primal is much lower bulk and now everything works out just fine, so to speak. TMI maybe, but to paraphrase, insanity is doing the same thing again and expecting a different result. Sometimes you have to try something new, and sometimes (like primal) it works.
                  I have diverticulosis, as do most N.A. adults. But it wasn't till I tried an Atkinized low carb diet that I ended up with an attack of diverticulitis that almost landed me in hospital. Why? Apparently I was also celiac, and divesting myself of grains removed roughage and took me from a 3xdaily BM to once every 3-4 days. It took time for my dying body to adapt, but in a year I lost 80 lbs and felt more like living. I regained 20 lbs., but kept off most for 11 years. Then I recently discovered primal, which corresponded to my life instincts. And got diverticulitis again while following the leptin reset. This time I feel our contaminated village water contributed hugely to my problems, even tho' we now buy bottled water. So primal is not necessarily a defense against continued diverticulosis, but it sure beats being celiac and maybe being dead already!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by 2ndChance View Post
                    She's one who thinks all diseases can be cured with "fiber," thus the grain-eating. She's still doing some processed grains, too, like Cheerios and "whole wheat flour"... Thinks organic food is a "hoax"...


                    Bear in mind that anyone going from high carb to minimal carb needs to transition from one to the other s-l-o-w-l-y.

                    Just my two cents. YMMV

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Funny how people think this is a no-fiber lifestyle when many foods we eat have plenty of fiber:

                      Raspberries
                      Pears
                      Apples
                      Strawberries
                      Sunflower seeds
                      Almonds
                      Pistachios
                      Artichokes
                      Broccoli
                      Greens
                      Brussell sprouts
                      AVOCADO

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Funny - I'm tired of hearing from all these folks complaining about their mothers; I'm a 60 something+ "paleo/primal" mother, whose sons and daughters don't want to listen to her. I can't make my kids buy into what I think, anymore than you young'uns can make your moms buy into what you think.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I think that is a bit harsh, we are concerned about a parent and want to discuss in a like minded place. Clearly, we cant make anyone do anything, but I think venting and discussion can be helpful for us.
                          Primal since 4/7/2012

                          Starting weight 140
                          Current weigh 126

                          www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

                          Jennifer

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            But Liza is right too, and so are you JennGlob. I am in the middle with a fat mother, and two adult children who also think I'm a bit nutty. It's good to vent, and it's good to recognize that all of us have people at either end - roommates, friends, family, coworkers, and in lots of different situations who could use PB, but don't want to for whatever reason.
                            Female, age 51, 5' 9"
                            SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

                            Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
                            2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X