Looking beyond what everyone else says

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking beyond what everyone else says

I had a bone marrow transplant and thank God vigorously every day that I'm still alive. yay!

Now the aftermath.

Short and sweet, I need carbs because they help me digest my food (my digestion is terrible and it's not uncommon to see totally undigested food in my poop. nuts, spinach, rice, etc..) So after probably a decade of trying to fix said digestive system (by staying away from carbs almost entirely) I'm realizing I just digest better with them.

I've always eaten TONS of fruit and had a real healthy liver, but since I've got a donor immune system my liver has gone a bit haywire and I'm trying to figure out what I can do to help it out until my new immune system stops misbehaving.

thoughts? cut out those awesome fruits? it's not THAT much fructose but I'd like to know how it all breaks down. A banana, maybe 4-5 tablespoons of maple syrup throughout the day, 1/2 cup frozen berries, 2 handfulls of grapes; all eaten daily.

Doesn't seem like a lot, and there's ALWAYS fiber with it. I just worry about my liver being so rowdy.

First thought was how long do you chew before swallowing? Digestion begins in the mouth~ it's possible you do have digestive issues but it's also possible that thorough chewing could help.

Comment

That actually is quite a bit when I check it on Cronometer. Well over 100 grams of almost straight fructose. You probably don't need to cut the fruit out entirely, but you could easily stand to lower it a bit. I'd start with just the berries for a while, see how you do, and then add back in more (very, VERY slowly though), to see where your acceptable tolerance level is.
      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

that fruit intake sounds delicious. fear not the fructose in fruit. it aint a bottle of coke. people around here get crazy...

Comment

Originally posted by jakey View Post
          that fruit intake sounds delicious. fear not the fructose in fruit. it aint a bottle of coke. people around here get crazy...
          Not everybody reacts to fructose in exactly the same way. You can't make an umbrella statement like "fructose is fine for everybody."

This is why I recommend everybody experiments with fruit for themselves to determine their own tolerance levels.
          "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
            You can't make an umbrella statement like "fructose is fine for everybody."
            phewh, good thing i didn't say that!

if you don't react well with fructose (malabsorption issues), don't eat it. but i refuse to believe that anyone has gotten non-alcoholic fatty liver disease from eating a banana, a 1/2 cup of frozen berries and a couple of handfuls of grapes every day. get real.

Comment

Originally posted by jakey View Post
              phewh, good thing i didn't say that!

if you don't react well with fructose (malabsorption issues), don't eat it. but i refuse to believe that anyone has gotten non-alcoholic fatty liver disease from eating a banana, a 1/2 cup of frozen berries and a couple of handfuls of grapes every day. get real.
              My problem is that I react to the sugar craving from fruit. I can't eat just a little. When I eat fruit, the sugar triggers a reaction in me and I eat more and more and more and more. It's not a malabsorption issue, but a lack of being able to control my intake to a reasonable level. And then you might run into issues if you're eating THAT much on a daily basis.

Sugar triggers binging for me. I've known this for years, even from fruit, so I personally, try to avoid it as a result. Other people might want to do the same for similar reasons. Malabsorption is not the only reason (though it can be ONE) some people choose to avoid fructose you know.

Comment

Add bone broth, fat and probiotics.
                Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Originally posted by bobsbarricades View Post
                  I had a bone marrow transplant and thank God vigorously every day that I'm still alive. yay!

Now the aftermath.

Short and sweet, I need carbs because they help me digest my food (my digestion is terrible and it's not uncommon to see totally undigested food in my poop. nuts, spinach, rice, etc..) So after probably a decade of trying to fix said digestive system (by staying away from carbs almost entirely) I'm realizing I just digest better with them.

I've always eaten TONS of fruit and had a real healthy liver, but since I've got a donor immune system my liver has gone a bit haywire and I'm trying to figure out what I can do to help it out until my new immune system stops misbehaving.

thoughts? cut out those awesome fruits? it's not THAT much fructose but I'd like to know how it all breaks down. A banana, maybe 4-5 tablespoons of maple syrup throughout the day, 1/2 cup frozen berries, 2 handfulls of grapes; all eaten daily.

Doesn't seem like a lot, and there's ALWAYS fiber with it. I just worry about my liver being so rowdy.
                  You had a bone marrow transplant and you are asking a bunch of nutjobs on the Internet for advice?
                  Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                    You had a bone marrow transplant and you are asking a bunch of nutjobs on the Internet for advice?
                    This was my first thought as well. Everyone's pretty much talking out of their asses on this one since I don't think anyone has had a bone marrow transplant or has had occasion to give nutritional counsel to someone who has. I could be wrong on that I suppose. If you are sure it's carbohydrate that helps your digestion then maybe think about cutting back on the fruit a little and replacing it with some sweet potato or other safe starch? Just playing around with where the CHO comes from might make a difference. The other thought I had was to try a digestive enzyme. They seem to be helpful for many with digestive issues.

And you aren't kidding about yay for being alive! Good job on that. Amazing! Continued good health and long life.

Comment

hahaha, it was 18 months ago with a relapse, chemo, and 2 acute-leading-to-chronic-GVHD. I take anything online with a grain of salt. I need information to make decisions and this fructose thing is new to me but might help out my liver.

My body is complicated, and has always been needy so I have been keeping track of everything myself with little help from doctors (I may be the only person to ever have his neuropathy consistenyl worsen while taking fluconazole) as they just know one way; my onc now is super awesome because he listens to me and guages what he knows with what I know about my body.

The fructose (minus sprinklings of maple syrup in other things like milk/quinoa/soup) all comes from the same meal. Ever hear of Dr Budwig? I get 3 tablespoons of flax seed oil I grind myself and make it water soluble...mmmm. Fat+fiber are everywhere in my diet. For years it's been "If God didn't make it, I'm not going to eat it" but I am learning I have issues with saturated fat and land-meats (been grass fed or nothing for about 6 years now?), now possibly fructose?

Anyway I came here more for ideas on where to get fast carbs to help digestion. I will look at how much I chew as I have had that issue in the past. I eat so slow now (usually meals take 1-2 hours) I might not be paying attention.

Buckwheat, quinoa, and mung beans are already on my list. [edit - Thanks! add sweet potatoes; I forgot about those gems.]

Comment

Fast carbs not listed, but primal approved are yams, all squash and zucchinis, and even carrots.

Note the connection that these are all starchy root vegetables and that should put you on the right track.

Damn, now you've got me drooling over the thought of a good plate of mashed butternut squash. *drools*

Comment

This is where Robb Wolf would say to try some now foods super enzymes. Undigested food in the stool is a sign that your system is not doing it's job. It could be a result of your other health issues, but I would give the digestive enzymes a shot to see if it helps. If you got your digestion working better, maybe you could lower your carb intake in the long term.

Comment

I have recently started taking some digestive enzymes (not NOW, but a good one, can't remember; however I am aware that everyone reacts differently to different kinds? These seem to be working but they might be doing some funny business with my stool - investigating).

It's not that I eat a lot of "dedicated-carb" even as is; that flax thing is the biggest contributor. Everything else is veggie of some sort or fish. It gets real complicated because if I eat too much protein my kidneys start complaining when I lay down at night.

Comment

is there any place online that will show me the glucose vs fructose content of various fruits? I know honey is almost 50/50 but that's about the only one I know, and it's not a fruit.

Comment

Working...
                              X