Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad reaction to too much coconut oil, flax meal, high carbs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad reaction to too much coconut oil, flax meal, high carbs?

So, yesterday I was baking N'Oatmeal cookies to take with us when we go camping. I had not had much to eat yet (late afternoon) and bit by bit ended up eating 7 (yes SEVEN!) of the cookies. And then all hell broke loose! I was getting other stuff ready for the camping trip and started to feel super dizzy, could barely even crawl to my room. Kept feeling like I was going to pass out even though I was lying down, the slightest movement was horrible. Extreme nausea, felt like I was going to get diarrhoea, short of breath, super thirsty, dry mouth and lips. I just looked at the macros for the 7 cookies and it is a boatload of fat and carbs ...872 calories, fat 62 g, carbs 63 g (I am usually under 50g) and protein 11 g. I had more than half of my usual macros in one shot. And that was a lot of carbs I know. Just, what on earth happened? In the old days I used to be able to gorge myself on all kinds of junk and I never, ever had a reaction like that! I felt bad, yes, but not like I might die (dramatic I know but that was how it felt!!)

I never did throw up or get diarrhoea ... insight anyone?
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 221.4 lbs
    Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Coconut oil can give you the trots. I just read a book about Alzheimer's and coconut oil (the author recommends 5 tablespoonfuls of coconut oil a day), and there they mention to start with a small amount. Once I made a primal chocolate pudding using a can of coconut milk, cocoa and gelatin. It was so good that I ate it all in one sitting - and hardly got out of the bathroom that afternoon ...

The other explanation that comes to mind is an allergy. Did the cookies have anything that you don't usually eat? I have seen my daughter (peanut allergy) several times with an allergic shock, and dizziness, nausea, shortness of breath were part of this.

Comment

I have gotten that kind of reaction from too much coconut oil (feeling completely and utterly ill), though I did end up...expelling it.
      Depression Lies

Comment

The first time I used coconut milk was in a shake. I got soooooo sick! I used about half a can?
        "Though she be but little, she is fierce!" - William Shakespeare

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post964333 (My journal)

Comment

i'm betting on the nuts as the culprit, but who knows? stay away from the baked goods, there's nothing remotely good about using almond flour that way.

Comment

I am totally fine now, but had a couple of the cookies today just to see and didn't feel good - nowhere near as bad as the reaction the other day! I am just going to steer clear of them altogether for the moment. I often eat almonds - small amounts, have never had a reaction to them. But, I think there is something to the coconut oil and not being used to it. I hardly ever eat it, and usually feel a little nasty afterwards when I include it in smoothies etc ... so I tend to not use it....
            Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
            Primal low: 186 lbs
            Current weight: 221.4 lbs
            Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

Working...
            X