Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pareto Primal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pareto Primal

    Hi

    I know some paleo books talk about the 80/20 rule saying as long as you are paelo 80% of the time, you should get the benefits. That to me feels like a bit of a misapplication of the 80/20 rule. My read of the 80/20 rule as Pareto formulated it, was that 20% of the elements are responsible for 80% of the benefits.

    Just as food for thought, I am wondering if anyone has thought about applying the pareto principle to the primal blueprint. In other words what is the 20% of the blueprint that gives 80% of the benefits?

    In the area of diet, could it be as simple as giving up just grains and eating more protein and vegetables?

    In the area of exercise, could it be as simple as just getting more activity a week by either walking for 5 hours a week or changing to a standing workstation?

    What do you think?

    thanks, Caprica
    Last edited by caprica; 09-22-2012, 05:02 PM.

  • #2
    Great question.. in my opinion, these are the things that seem to have given me the most benefits.

    1. Giving up grains and processed foods.
    2. Adding Big Ass Salad in daily.
    3. Moving slowly but frequently.. walking 10,000 steps per day
    4. Focus on getting quality and quantity of sleep

    For weightloss AND feeling great - making sure I'm eating lots of fish each week also helps.

    Comment


    • #3
      Giving up vegetable oils, since that would require eliminating the vast majority of grain and sugar-based crap foods.
      “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

      Comment


      • #4
        I think the crap oils and the refined carbs. Not so much for the things they cause you to eliminate, but on their own, these two things do the majority of the damage.
        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

        Comment


        • #5
          To me the biggest differences are giving up processed rubbish. I include most grains as processed rubbish, as well as sugar (and, of course, vegetable oils fit in this category too). If you concentrate on eating REAL food that looks like food, you'll get the vast majority of benefits!

          So to me, "eat real food" is the biggest difference you can make in your life! You just need the wisdom to recognise what "real" food actually is and not assume that something like bread is "real food" lol.

          Comment


          • #6
            #1: No Grains/Soy

            #2: Real saturated fats (from grass-fed sources, mostly)

            #3: High quality protein

            I was a vegan so I was already eating things like Big Ass Salad, and lots of dark leafy greens.

            Comment


            • #7
              That to me feels like a bit of a misapplication of the 80/20 rule.
              I think Pareto's Principal is unrelated to the 80/20 rule of the Primal Blueprint. They both happen to involve the figure "80%", but as you said the principal is different. The PB allowance is basically that small deviations won't undermine the whole effort.

              I don't think there is a critical 20% of the Primal Blueprint that will give you 80% of the results.

              Comment


              • #8
                Too many variables.
                Crohn's, doing SCD

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Iron Fireling View Post
                  To me the biggest differences are giving up processed rubbish. I include most grains as processed rubbish, as well as sugar (and, of course, vegetable oils fit in this category too). If you concentrate on eating REAL food that looks like food, you'll get the vast majority of benefits!

                  So to me, "eat real food" is the biggest difference you can make in your life! You just need the wisdom to recognise what "real" food actually is and not assume that something like bread is "real food" lol.
                  Agreed.
                  Changing to primal for me seemed like a mere tweak at the time - eliminating grains. I was already eating real meat and veges and eggs, etc and was avoiding obvious junk such as processed products (don't want to even call them food now).

                  Now my diet seems normal to me, is a breeze to follow because it works and makes me feel good (and I feel bad when I deviate from it) but it looks radically different from what is probably the norm for most people.

                  So for me, that step of ditching grains especially wheat would be the 20% that gave the 80% return.

                  I like this thread for causing me to look at it this way. But I also like the principle that you haven't lost everything if you deviate by a few percentage points. I try to eat primal all the time but the 80/20 feels like a safety net for if I miss sometimes.
                  Annie Ups the Ante
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by mike_h View Post
                    I think Pareto's Principal is unrelated to the 80/20 rule of the Primal Blueprint. They both happen to involve the figure "80%", but as you said the principal is different. The PB allowance is basically that small deviations won't undermine the whole effort.

                    I don't think there is a critical 20% of the Primal Blueprint that will give you 80% of the results.
                    I agree with Mike on this. Primal is not a tweak or a hack or a trick. It's an across the board, full spectrum lifestyle change.

                    Mark's 80/20 principal is about not beating yourself up if there are things in your diet or fitness that are beyond your control like dinner at the boss' house or not getting your exercise because you are traveling for work. It was never intended to be an excuse to only aim for 80% compliance. It is about aiming for 100% but not freaking out if life gets in the way sometimes. And it certainly wasn't about some 20% quick fix.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by mike_h View Post
                      I don't think there is a critical 20% of the Primal Blueprint that will give you 80% of the results.
                      Good point. Do all ten of the primal blueprint laws make an equal contribution to the outcome or are some laws more important than others?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by caprica View Post
                        what is the 20% of the blueprint that gives 80% of the benefits?
                        Eliminate wheat, white sugar and vegetable oils.

                        Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                        I think the crap oils and the refined carbs. Not so much for the things they cause you to eliminate, but on their own, these two things do the majority of the damage.
                        Twins!
                        Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

                        Griff's cholesterol primer
                        5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                        Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                        TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                        bloodorchid is always right

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by caprica View Post
                          Good point. Do all ten of the primal blueprint laws make an equal contribution to the outcome or are some laws more important than others?
                          The most focus often gets put on the dietary aspects of PB with exercise running a distant second and everything else kinda gets short shrift.

                          But it ALL matters. If you are not sleeping well and getting enough vitamin D from the sun and stressing out too much due to not making time for play, all the perfect eating and fanatic exercise in the world can be completely derailed. It all has to work together.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                            The most focus often gets put on the dietary aspects of PB with exercise running a distant second and everything else kinda gets short shrift.

                            But it ALL matters. If you are not sleeping well and getting enough vitamin D from the sun and stressing out too much due to not making time for play, all the perfect eating and fanatic exercise in the world can be completely derailed. It all has to work together.
                            Hmmm, interesting - I do know what you mean (i.e. it all matters). But, I get the sense that most people on the forum focus on about 2.5 of the 10 rules (mainly rule 1, part of rule 2 and either rule 3 or 4), and still feel like they are getting pretty good results (i.e. greater than 25% of the outcome).

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              i think many come here at this point for weight loss and eliminating grains causes that quickly for most.

                              it may take longer to stick with it, really clean house -- diet-wise-- and get other aspects going like sleep, play, regular movement and learning to safely reduce your stress levels. then it's remarkable how much better you can feel and look. light years better than what happens when you just give up bread but are still eating primal treats and splurging on pizza once a week.
                              Last edited by noodletoy; 09-23-2012, 07:16 PM.
                              As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

                              – Ernest Hemingway

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X