Dates...the sugary fruit...not the evening out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dates...the sugary fruit...not the evening out

I eat damn clean paleo. No dairy, no grains, no sugar, no crap....but I crave dates and once I start eating dates it is harder than hard to stop. I rather eat dates than chocolate any day. Most days the only fruit I eat are dates...I try to stick to three or a single serving but then there are days like today when I ate the dates until they were gone and then walked around looking for something like a date...thankfully nothing to be found.

Am I missing some ingredient...some food group....what the hell makes me want all these dates. I have looked on the internet and sweet cravings can be caused my magnesium deficiency...but I get lots of magnesium...as my doc has me supplementing it.

I have been told that I need to do AI paleo but I can't get a grip on the dates...and I feel like I need to get some control over that so I can do the AI.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ab

First world problems, hah. Dates are delicious. You'll probably grow out of the obsession. I went through a similar thing with figs for a few months

Comment

Dates make you eat more maybe? Damm when I buy a package of 15, I usually eat them all in a day..
      well then

Comment

From here: Calories in Dates, Domestic, Natural And Dry | Nutrition Information Facts and Data Analysis

An 8.3 gm date (about a third of an ounce), has 23 calories.
        Of that, 6.2 gms are carbohydrate.
        Of the carbohydrate, 5.3 grams are sugars. (5.3 gm x 4 cal/gm of carb/sugar = 21.2)

So, 21.2 out of every 23 calories comes from sugar. This is a whopping 92%.

So, while dates are primal, they are almost all sugar. If you're sensitive to sugar or carbs, it's no wonder they are your binge food.
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I went through a similar thing with figs for a few months
          Going through the fig love right now. Wrapped in bacon and baked they are AMAZING. Mmmmmm...figs.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
          Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Same here -- eat them until they are gone. Between the delicious texture and taste...yeah. Don't buy them, don't eat them. No control available.
            The Sedition of Sisyphus: Go Find Another Rock

Griff's Cholesterol Primer

Comment

Is eating dates causing you problems? Moodiness, fatigue, weight gain, etc.? If not, then don't worry about it and enjoy them.

Comment

Originally posted by tarek View Post
                Is eating dates causing you problems? Moodiness, fatigue, weight gain, etc.? If not, then don't worry about it and enjoy them.
                Great point!

I would also ask if you're eating any starchy carbs? When I'm not eating enough starchy stuff I seem to crave something sweet.

Comment

My husband and I also loves dates. He especially will eat them until they are gone. If I buy them, I don't get very many of them They are definitely our sugary treat, and not purchased regularly.

Comment

I have been craving figs and dates as well recently. Luckily I have had the willpower to restrain most times as I am VLC-ing. I find fig spreads with cheeses like brie to be so yummy

Comment

I don't eat any starchy carbs, I love the damn dates...it is easiest to leave them at the grocery store. I have auto immune issues up the yang and so shouldn't be eating them. I can't lose weight...ok...not can't but it takes a hell of a lot of effort and not eating dates would probably help. It is more that I don't like the loss of control when they are around. I was a diet coke addict for years and had my last one 4 years ago...I hate not having control.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts...yup it is a 1st world problem...and a delicious one.

Comment

I can eat a few at a time as long as I don't gorge on them. What I've been doing lately is for every date I eat I pop two macadamia nuts in my mouth at the same time and chew them up together. It's datey, buttery, creamy goodness and I'm good with two-three as a snack.
                        Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

Dates are amazing, but the sugar content is staggering, its like 60g sugar/100g of dates.
                          http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Comment

Thank goodness it's not just me. I'm the same, I buy them and eat them until they're gone! Now I just rush past the date shelf in the store.
                            The Paleo Strongwoman - A site dedicated to strength, and feeding strength.

Comment

There's a vendor who sells organic dates by the pound at a nearby farmer's market. I sampled one and pretty much ran away. It was so damn good that I wanted to buy the pound and just eat all of it at once =.= But seriously, way better than any dates I could get at Whole Foods.
                              My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Working...
                              X