Weakness - What to do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weakness - What to do?

It's day 7 of going primal. I'm due to do my workout but I'm weak all over. This morning walking my dog it was tough climbing a hill, and now I've just picked my kids up from school I feel really exhausted.

I don't think i've been getting much carbs this week. Should I eat a couple of bananas or something to get some energy for this workout?

PS: My last workout was Saturday, and that was fine.

Could be a that transition phase from high-carb to low-carb that people refer to as the "low-carb flu". It might make you feel weird for a few days (listless, hungry, foggy-headed, even achy). Walk plenty, but don't worry about working out hard until you feel better. If your carbs have been below 50g/day for a while, try bumping it up closer to 100g/day and see if it helps.

Comment

Thanks Danielle, I would have thought the transition would be done by now!

Yesterday for example I had:

* bacon + eggs
      * banana/apple/spinach green smoothie
      * Cream of chicken soup (home made, large chunks of chicken, lots of cream)
      * A few small bites of fruit

Today:

Cheese omelette + parma ham / 3 slices of melon
      Left over chicken soup
      (yet to come) Fish + low carb veggies (probably carrots/brocolli)

I have not been measuring the carbs, but that does seem quite low when I look at some of the charts available online...

Comment

Originally posted by Chorlton View Post
        Thanks Danielle, I would have thought the transition would be done by now!

Yesterday for example I had:

* bacon + eggs
        * banana/apple/spinach green smoothie
        * Cream of chicken soup (home made, large chunks of chicken, lots of cream)
        * A few small bites of fruit

Today:

Cheese omelette + parma ham / 3 slices of melon
        Left over chicken soup
        (yet to come) Fish + low carb veggies (probably carrots/brocolli)

I have not been measuring the carbs, but that does seem quite low when I look at some of the charts available online...
        The transition can take up to a few weeks for some people. You'll make the transition faster if you lower carbs, raise fat, and power through it. But also, now that I see your menu sample, it also looks like you may not be eating enough. Do you feel hungry, or just weak? Your sample menu for yesterday could be one meal for me, especially on a workout day. Try tracking your intake for a couple days and make sure you're getting enough calories and that roughly 60-70% of them are from healthy sources of fat. Hope that helps!

Comment

Well I feel pretty ravenous in the morning because I am also doing 16hr IF --I have a headache till I eat as well. Looking at ti you're right it does not look like a lot. I will have to find some way to increase it like you say...

If Im having fish in a cream sauce + carrots/broccoli though, I can't immediately think of a way to increase the calories unless I just have "more" - is that generally what people do, just eat way more?

Comment

Drink a cup or two of bouillon. I use the cubes in hot water. Some of the exhaustion is caused by rapid fluid loss leading to an electrolyte imbalance. This is my go to cure for the "carb flu"
            Primal since 9/24/2010
            "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
            MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

Hot bone broth or coffee with cream or tea with butter & salt helps. While fueling up on the easy carb source like a banana will immediately make you feel better, at least in my case it leads to endless cycle, while sticking to low carbs eventually flips the energy switch.

You might want to drop fruit for 2-3 weeks to ease the adaptation, because it might be messing things up and keeping you from completely going to fat-burning.
              My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
              When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Great. Will do that now, thanks Pebbles! Im going to do my workout anyway and just see how it goes I think

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
                  Hot bone broth or coffee with cream or tea with butter & salt helps. While fueling up on the easy carb source like a banana will immediately make you feel better, at least in my case it leads to endless cycle, while sticking to low carbs eventually flips the energy switch.

You might want to drop fruit for 2-3 weeks to ease the adaptation, because it might be messing things up and keeping you from completely going to fat-burning.
                  Thanks for this Leida. I'd really like to make the breakthrough so it would seem toughing it out is the way to go!

Comment

Just seconding the broth/salt part of this! When you make the switch from processed foods to unprocessed foods, you end up cutting your salt intake dramatically, which is not the good thing CW would have us all believe. So supplementing by salting your foods and adding in the salty broth helps a lot with balancing your electrolytes and staving off the lo-carb flu!

Comment

Originally posted by merryish View Post
                      Just seconding the broth/salt part of this! When you make the switch from processed foods to unprocessed foods, you end up cutting your salt intake dramatically, which is not the good thing CW would have us all believe. So supplementing by salting your foods and adding in the salty broth helps a lot with balancing your electrolytes and staving off the lo-carb flu!
                      Hi Merrryish

I get your point of course. As a matter of interest however I'm coming at this from a mostly vegetarian diet. I've also been vegan, and big on the green smoothies... although our food is almost never processed (my wife and I can both cook well) it has always erred on the high-carb-low-fat side.

I can tell you flat out that I do not respond well to vegan or even vegetarian however. Mrs Chorltan thrives on it, but I just feel hungry all the time and my sugar cravings are just insane!

The best I've ever felt was a few years back when I ate a lot of lean meat and did crossfit. I didn't get the paleo thing then though and still ate a lot of bread/rice/musli etc etc. I hope this time round I'll really get some energy once more. Seems a very long time ago I felt like I really had ENERGY!

Comment

unless you have specific reasons not to, double check your total intake. switching to primal/paleo/keto isnt about reducing caloric intake.

most people i have met/talked to simply drop a class of macronutirent and leave the others unchanged and wonder why they are hungry/weak/light headed/ etc

are you certain you are eating enough?
                        Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
                        Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
                        Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

Hi Quelson.

That's a very good point. Im not sure about that at all. I am going to start adding my calories starting tomorrow, at least until I get a handle on this stuff. How many calories should I consume? I'm male, 41 and fairly slim bar a little extra body fat around the waist (but not much). Is the PB recommendation the standard 2500 for the average man?

Comment

i can only tell you what I use as a baseline.

the harris benedict equation no multipliers. that is a minimum

then i take that caloric value and apply my own macro ratio to it.

when people ask me that question that is my answer.

English BMR Formula
                            Women: BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )

Men: BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) - ( 6.8 x age in year )

so for me that is... 66 + ( 6.23 x 318 ) + ( 12.7 x 71 ) - ( 6.8 x 41 ) = 2670.04 Kcals daily

break that up into my personal macro ratio of 70%f 25%c 5%c and you get. 1869 kcal from fat, 534 Kcal from Protein, and 133 Kcal from carb. do the math to get grams.... 207g fat 133g protein, 33g carbs

your macros may vary.

ps in full disclosure i am not currently following this rule. I am eating far less. however i have been capable of maintaining my weight using this logic.
                            Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
                            Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
                            Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Chorlton View Post
                              Well I feel pretty ravenous in the morning because I am also doing 16hr IF
                              Dumping carbs, working out, and IF-ing too? If you're still in transition, perhaps you should hold off on the IF-ing until you're sure you're a fat burner. One thing at a time. Let your body heal.
                              5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Working...
                              X