Weakness - What to do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oxide View Post
    Dumping carbs, working out, and IF-ing too? If you're still in transition, perhaps you should hold off on the IF-ing until you're sure you're a fat burner. One thing at a time. Let your body heal.
    Truth. IF is useful, but is mostly recommended as a something for the last few pounds/%BF. It adds stress to your body, and you want everything in line before you start it.

Comment

Okay everyone, here's what Im doing:
      • Eating breakfast!
      • Tracking calories!
      • Eating more!
      • Drinking stock cube tea!

So far breakfast added up to just over 600kcal. I'm using the livestrong calorie tracking app on the "maintain current weight" setting as a guide (so it deducts calories spent exercising etc) and will see how this goes

Thanks for all the great advice. I will update this thread when there's something interesting to say...

Comment

I've been doing the eat-only-when-hungry type of fasting. I intend to get to a more regular fasting schedule, but I've found this to be a good stepping stone. You sound like a pretty motivated dude, but just be careful you aren't taking on too much at once.

Dropping the carbs can be a big blow for the system. I had about 3-4 days where I actually felt clinically depressed. The world-is-against-me thoughts were going through my head the whole time; I've never had that before so I felt pretty horrible indeed. It passed though, and I attributed it to carb flu. I couldn't imagine trying to do the fasting while going through that. If you find that it is a bit too much for you, my non-expert, purely anecdotal experience would suggest you put the fasting on hold until you get all the other changes you're making in good working order.

Permanent lifestyle changes towards the better ftw. Not sudden dramatic changes that wreck you.

Comment

Whoa, Chorlton. I didn't realize you were male. Definitely back to my original statement that you need to eat more food. I'm a 120-lb female and that menu looks sparse to me. I hope that helps. Please keep us updated!

Also, I agree with the sentiment that you might want to wait a while before you start fasting. I didn't even try to fast until I had been eating pretty strictly primal (including plenty of fat) for 4-5 months.
          Last edited by Danielle5690; 09-20-2012, 06:52 AM. Reason: thought of something else

Comment

Thanks Thrakk. I've dropped the fasting for the time being!

Daniel I weighed myself for the first time in years today: 65.2kg (144lb) before breakfast.

Im working on this, but im struggling to find food sources with enough calories (that I feel i can eat..) for e.g.. i had 4 fresh sardines for lunch with salad and it still only came to 550kcal or so. Im just not used to large portions...

Maybe i should start a new thread on tips for getting enough calories

Comment

Originally posted by Chorlton View Post
              Thanks Thrakk. I've dropped the fasting for the time being!

Daniel I weighed myself for the first time in years today: 65.2kg (144lb) before breakfast.

Im working on this, but im struggling to find food sources with enough calories (that I feel i can eat..) for e.g.. i had 4 fresh sardines for lunch with salad and it still only came to 550kcal or so. Im just not used to large portions...

Maybe i should start a new thread on tips for getting enough calories
              An easy way to add more calories and to help your body make the switch to fat-burning is to add more saturated fat to your meals. Butter, clean animal fat, and coconut milk/oil are good choices. I've noticed that you tend to choose very lean foods, which is great if you're following CW, but if you're eliminating carbs you need to add more fat in or you'll feel hungry and listless all the time.

Comment

Right! Well im making goan prawn curry tonight (with coconut milk + "cauliflower rice") so there's a good excuse to add a few tbsp's of coconut fat... I have been having a tbsp or more with each meal/snack and recording it but man, so much fat!

Comment

Originally posted by Chorlton View Post
                  Right! Well im making goan prawn curry tonight (with coconut milk + "cauliflower rice") so there's a good excuse to add a few tbsp's of coconut fat... I have been having a tbsp or more with each meal/snack and recording it but man, so much fat!
                  I know, it's going to seem excessive to you for a while, especially coming from a vegetarian background, but your body needs it, and you'll find that once you adapt it makes you feel pretty fantastic. And you probably need even more fat than you think you do (shoot for at least 65% of your total calories).

Comment

Hi everyone,

just a small update: it may be a bit early to start celebrating but from around lunchtime today I started feel like I suddenly had a fair bit more energy. So much so that I just completed a light-medium workout with pushups, kbell swings and one-arm rows and feel great!

I have been stuffing myself with fat. About 6-700kcal per meal with 6-700kcal in almonds/coconut oil etc for snacks. I guess I'll need a few more days to really get a feel for this but if nothing else the advice from Danielle and others to up my total calories has certainly worked. Im hoping it's not just that and that I've started to make the switch to fat burning of course...

Im reading PB right now, and looking forward to the sample diets and specific recommendations as I still feel im eating way to much actual meat (if i need 1g protein per lb lean body mass i must be eating 4x that!). but for right now im just concentrating on making the switch.

thanks everyone,

Comment

Glad to hear you are feeling better!
                      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                      When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Glad to hear it! Good plan - for now just eat so that you feel satisfied and energetic, and once you get through reading you can start to tweak things to your specific needs.

Comment

Working...
                        X