Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mineral Problems? Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I would be careful with the iodine supplementation. Of course, everyone's body differs, but when I went a little snack happy with dried lavers and seaweeds, I felt so fatigued I was barely able to get out of bed. From several trials and processes of elimination, I figured it was the excessive seaweed: iodine is great, just don't overdo it or you migh screw up your thyroid.

    I second the magnesium supplementation. I take mag citrate, 800mg a day. I don't take it for cramping, but I understand that most people do take it for that purpose and citrate seems to be more easily absorbed by the body than oxide and malate, from my admittedly limited knowledge of biochemistry.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

    "I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

    Comment


    • #17
      Yea, I wasn't planning on going crazy with the iodine, I'll be adding it slowly to find an adequate level.

      Comment


      • #18
        I started doing the salt and lemon juice in my water after reading primalgirlDotcom's post (2/28/11) about it. She was suffering a variety of symptoms(one of which were cramps) and after ending up in the hospital, was told her electrolytes were slightly low. They recommended Gatorade. She did some research, and made her own primal version.

        Her explanation goes into it more, but basically, the combination of sea salt and lemon juice provides the four basic electrolytes your body needs: potassium, sodium, chloride, and bicarbonate(manufactured by your body from potassium). Obviously, there are other things your body needs for good balance, but this is an easy, first step to try before you go crazy with trickier things.

        She doesn't feel the amount of lemon juice in water is anything to worry about, but I don't know how much is considered detrimental to your teeth.

        The recipe I use is: 8C water, juice of one lemon, 1tsp salt-I use a mix of regular/sea salt/Himalayan, half a packet of stevia sweetener. I have gradually reduced the amount of sweetener as my tastes have changed. (I did NOT have good results with honey- I would avoid that!) I alternate a glass of it, with a glass of regular water, throughout the day. I find drinking it makes it easier to drink more water, and for myself, I can feel a difference in how my body feels when I have drunk plenty(for me 12+ glasses per day). Never noticed it 'rushing through' (personal experience).

        .
        Last edited by Sabine; 09-20-2012, 09:26 AM.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Damiana View Post
          I would be careful with the iodine supplementation. Of course, everyone's body differs, but when I went a little snack happy with dried lavers and seaweeds, I felt so fatigued I was barely able to get out of bed. From several trials and processes of elimination, I figured it was the excessive seaweed: iodine is great, just don't overdo it or you migh screw up your thyroid.
          Yes, taking to much iodine will shut down the thyroid. This is why high dose iodine is sometimes used to treat hyperthyroidism (excessive thyroid function).

          And high iodine has actually been found to aggravate a common form of hypothyroidism (low thyroid function) known as Hashimoto's thyroidosis.

          Originally posted by Damiana View Post
          I second the magnesium supplementation. I take mag citrate, 800mg a day. I don't take it for cramping, but I understand that most people do take it for that purpose and citrate seems to be more easily absorbed by the body than oxide and malate, from my admittedly limited knowledge of biochemistry.
          There is no difference in absorption between the citrate and malate, but the malate is more effective and provides more benefits. Citrate is my second choice though.

          Both the citrate and the malate though are significantly safer and better absorbed than magnesium oxide though. The oxide in water forms caustic magnesium hydroxide that neutralizes stomach acid and burns the tissues. Taking it with an acid source though such as lemon juice, vinegar, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), etc. will enhance its absorption and reduce its caustic nature.
          Last edited by JamesS; 09-20-2012, 09:16 AM.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by JamesS View Post
            Yes, taking to much iodine will shut down the thyroid. This is why high dose iodine is sometimes used to treat hyperthyroidism (excessive thyroid function).

            And high iodine has actually been found to aggravate a common form of hypothyroidism (low thyroid function) known as Hashimoto's thyroidosis.
            By supplementing Iodine, I was referring to a Potassium Iodide spray which has about 280 mcg of Iodine in each spray (only planning on one spray in the morning). I'll try and make a note of my sleep quality and any muscle cramps/pain over the next few days to see if the additional magnesium and iodine help at all (I know a few days isn't really enough to see comprehensive effects, but a noticeable change will hopefully happen quickly - if anyone has a good estimate as to when I should notice effects, I'd love to know).

            Comment


            • #21
              Actually, would I be better off adding some of this Bragg Live Foods, Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar, Bragg Liquid Aminos,Systemic Enzymes, Bragg Live Organic Food Products, Patricia Bragg, Paul Bragg, Bragg Organic Olive Oil, Bragg Salad Dressings, Bragg Seasonings, Bragg Health Products as a seasoning to my vegetables (or breakfast/lunch) instead of supplementing? (the health food store around the corner from where I lived suggested it, and I'd love more opinions).

              Comment


              • #22
                I don't know if it's a better choice or not, but I don't see anything wrong with it, unless you have a problem with celery salt. Some do (like me), but it's definitely not the norm. If you can eat bacon without a headache, then it's fine for you.
                Durp.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Wow this is a very informative thread. When I was doing my 26+ hour fasts (where at the end I would do a heavy lifting workout), I would always get lightheaded and succumb to eating because I thought I wasn't fat adapted enough or something. Looks like all I needed was to squeeze some lime juice to add to salt to my water to drink, and go to bed easy. I'll try that next time.
                  My chocolatey Primal journey

                  Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X