No announcement yet.

Should Women FAST?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sbhikes, can't wait! Just curious - what are your general stress levels and how much sleep do you get every night?
    My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

• I do this thing called eating only when I'm hungry.

When I'm eating good fats, protein and tons of veggies, its rare that I need 3 meals a day and also I am typically not hungry for breakfast.

I go with the flow of my body!

Comment

• Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
        Sbhikes, can't wait! Just curious - what are your general stress levels and how much sleep do you get every night?
        I generally go to bed between 8:30 and 9pm. I get up between 5:30 and 6am. Other than that, my life is pretty stress-free. I avoid stress as much as possible, never having been a person who could handle it. A doctor told me in my 20s to avoid stress so that's how I've tried to live life. Left a dot-bomb for a calmer life at a university. It's great.

Slowing down all my exercise has been truly a miracle. Before I did everything at a higher level thinking that it's best to work harder so you get more out of it. I also fell for all that stuff about weight lifting and sprinting being better than endurance exercise. That was all wrong for me. I was in pain 4-5 days a week and it wasn't as much fun for me.

I had no idea I could run for 3 hours. It's a blast. I set out not even planning where to go. I call it going on one of my walkabout-runabout adventures. Yesterday I ran to the beach and then decided I'd run through Hope Ranch, a wealthy community with lots of horse trails. I ran on a horse trail through vines and oak trees in the shade. It was a blazing hot day otherwise. It felt so good. I totally didn't even think of myself as exercising. More like exploring. I'd driven this scenic drive and ridden my bike on it lots of times, but I've never done the horse trail before.

I'm looking forward to when I can set out with my little running vest and collapsible cup and run into the mountains on days when the creeks are flowing. This was what I had hoped I could do after I completed the Pacific Crest Trail. I thought I might have a gift for endurance but I was completely unable to run after hiking the trail and I ended up fat, in pain and hungry all the time. Well, eating low carb was one key to unlocking that gift. The other key has been low heart-rate exercising. I think the third key will be moderate or modified fasting. Hopefully next fall I will be able to enter a local ultramarathon and just show up with my cup and go for it.
        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
          I generally go to bed between 8:30 and 9pm. I get up between 5:30 and 6am. Other than that, my life is pretty stress-free. I avoid stress as much as possible, never having been a person who could handle it. A doctor told me in my 20s to avoid stress so that's how I've tried to live life. Left a dot-bomb for a calmer life at a university. It's great.
          I think I may be the same way. Right now I am on stress overload, and I think that is way impairing my fat loss, because I know for sure that I can lose fat at my current calorie intake and burn. I've also noticed a huge improvement after eliminating 2-3x/week sprinting to just maybe 1x/week in addition to my 2x/week lifting, so I think you have something there too.

I like your take on things Can't wait to see how things happen with your fasting and long endurance runs.

Comment

I set out not even planning where to go.
            Reminds me of Forrest All sounds fantastic!

Running will never be my thing. I hear all the time of ppl that have lost weight and started running. I am like WTH? Why? ha

I was always better at short fast sprints. Like 50 or 100 yards. I am afraid the sabertooth would have to eat me

I am thinking the difference for me, between my slow weight loss since Primal and my faster weight loss coming off SAD, well one thing was cutting the carbs. Even though only cutting to like 150 - 200, I am sure it was still significant from what I use to. Well I know I had 300 a day in just sweet tea! The other difference, I was doing dvds daily, for 1 - 2 hours. Slim in 6, Zumba and something else I can't remember, like SI6 type stuff though. And my elliptical. 10 minutes at a time, but I would do 6 of those per day.

But like you said, I was hungry All.The.Time. All the damn time.

And I hate exercise. I feel better afterwards, but I hate doing it. So I am working on finding what works for me. I have been doing tabata on my elliptical every other to every 2 days. I can do that. Something takes over and I just do it until I get it done. I am like a maniac. I can even do it while fasted and not pass out.

I use to love ST. I dont know what happened. But I know I need to figure it out and do it. This week I am going to start doing some t-tapp. I was going to start today but I can barely walk after riding yesterday. I need to just ride my damn horse every day. I lost 30lbs effortlessly, catching, saddling, unsaddling, etc 6 - 8 horses almost daily. Then the house fire, and all that stress and 60lbs gained. Ugghh. So I have lost that now, but only back to where I started so I am about half way there.

I think I think about it too much. But Tuesday and Wednesday should be easy fast days. (still modified for awhile) I am going to try to make that my routine, starting this week. The other days, will see how it plays out.
            65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

• You have found your gift and I'm so happy for you! I hope to join you in endurance pursuits sometime soon and I'll use your method of low heart-rate exercise. Thank You!
              A Woman's Place Is In The Revolution.

Comment

• I should stress that the running I'm doing is beyond slow. Total strangers make fun of me. I think I could run alongside someone who is walking. I can't walk fast enough to get my heart rate to my target zone, so the running bumps my heart up. I use a heart rate monitor so that I know for sure what is going on. The whole point of this is to build up the slow-twitch muscle fibers in my body and improve my pace while keeping my heart rate static. The slow-twitch fibers use fat for energy. The fast-twitch fibers use glycogen for energy. The fast-twitch ones are the ones you employ the most when you are lifting weights, sprinting and doing activities at an anaerobic level. All activities actually use both, but anaerobic uses more fast-twitch and aerobic uses more slow-twitch.

I want to also stress that endurance activities appeal to me greatly. I wouldn't do this if I felt it was punishment or purely a weight loss trick.

Comment

I want to also stress that endurance activities appeal to me greatly. I wouldn't do this if I felt it was punishment or purely a weight loss trick.
                  No worries, I do too. I love walking to the grocery store for miles and picking up my three pounds of vegetables. It's a great way for me to unwind. Don't need to talk to anybody. Wind whipping my hair around. Vibrams keeping my feet close to the ground. Awesome

Comment

I should stress that the running I'm doing is beyond slow. Total strangers make fun of me. I think I could run alongside someone who is walking.
                    hilarious. Made me lol myself

I need to get me some of them thar slow twitchers.

Comment

• The slowest running is always faster than walking. That's why I started to run in the first place back when I did CW.
                      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                      When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

• Nah, I probably DO walk faster than sbhikes runs.

And yes, I do laugh at those slow runners. I laugh at you, sbhikes! LOL

I am serious, too. There was this guy who used to run in our old neighborhood, and DH and I would go out for a walk. We would usually lap him twice on our walk, while he was "running." (it was also a ridiculously inefficient gait. and by ridiculous, I did laugh at him.)

I'm not sure about the heart rate bit, but that's all good. You gotta go your way. I will just continue to laugh at you. Nah, maybe I'll develop more openness "hey, maybe that gets their heart rate to the right place."

Comment

• I doubt that any of you could outdo me regarding slowness in running. My lung capacity is equivalent to someone 17 years younger.

I have a very low resting heart rate and low blood pressure too. My reason for being a slow runner is hypermobile joints.

I am so pleased for you that you enjoy poking fun at those with an inefficient gait zoebird.
                          Last edited by paleo-bunny; 10-01-2012, 02:01 PM.
                          F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

• Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                            Nah, I probably DO walk faster than sbhikes runs.
                            Hell, even I walk faster than I run.

Comment

• <giggles>

Comment

Hell, even I walk faster than I run.
                                Like this??

Last edited by Nady; 10-01-2012, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X