Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the deal with bulletproof coffee and what is it suppose to do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mike_h View Post
    Heavy cream won't, it's mostly fat, very low protein & lactose. Milk is far more insulinogenic and could well take you out. Coconut Oil and MCT won't, again almost all fat.
    There are still traces of lactose that could easily make small spikes in insulin. Lactose spikes insulin far more easily than any other sugar.
    My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Still, it's dairy. Dairy is garbage. Why bother with cream when coconut milk is so much more optimal for ketogenesis, anyway?
      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
        Why bother with cream when coconut milk is so much more optimal for ketogenesis, anyway?
        I havent even ever looked for any. I will have to make it a point to get some.

Question: Do you make your own?
        Last edited by gopintos; 09-18-2012, 05:46 PM.
        65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

Asian markets, ethnic markets are your best bets. Or order Aroy-D if you can't find it. It comes in BPA-free cartons and has no additives - and is sweet, can be drunk alone if warmed.
          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
            Asian markets, ethnic markets are your best bets. Or order Aroy-D if you can't find it. It comes in BPA-free cartons and has no additives - and is sweet, can be drunk alone if warmed.
            They had the Aroy-D coconut cream on sale at my favorite Asian supermarket for some ridiculously low price so I bought a whole case. Those cartons are great for storage.

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
              The insulinogenic effects of dairy in your coffee can accomplish the same thing as an apple.
              Even if you're using butter or ghee which shouldn't have any carbohydrate? I can see how cream might, as it has some lactose in it still (even if not as much as milk).

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Fireling View Post
                Even if you're using butter or ghee which shouldn't have any carbohydrate? I can see how cream might, as it has some lactose in it still (even if not as much as milk).
                Butter does. Ghee won't.

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                They had the Aroy-D coconut cream on sale at my favorite Asian supermarket for some ridiculously low price so I bought a whole case. Those cartons are great for storage.
                I wouldn't touch tetrapaks either. Those just have been untested forms of packaging. The only coconut milk I drink is my own now.

Comment

Home made coconut cream

Butter does. Ghee won't.

I wouldn't touch tetrapaks either. Those just have been untested forms of packaging. The only coconut milk I drink is my own now.
                  Would you mind sharing how you make it?

Comment

Originally posted by michellethompson View Post
                    Would you mind sharing how you make it?
                    Buy a coconut that weighs very heavily. Make sure there are no mold spots on the outside. Ideally the color of the skin will be a deep brown.

Take a sharp knife and hack at the 3 holes until you get at least one of them open. Deepen the hole with a chopstick (or other thin apparatus that will get you past the white flesh into the middle where all the juice is). Drain the coconut of all the water. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees.

When all water has drained, place coconut in oven and bake for 30 minutes. Take out of oven, place in a plastic bag, and immediately smash on ground outside house. Allow pieces to cool, and the meat will easily be taken off the brown shell. Cut the white meat into smaller pieces and place in food processor with a bit of hot water. Blend until the pieces are as pulverized as you can get it.

Pour the meat/water into a strainer or cheesecloth over a bowl, squeezing very hard to get all the liquid out, and collecting the meat pieces in the strainer/cheesecloth. Blend again with some warm water to extract more milk.

You can use the pulverized coconut meat pieces as coconut flour. Refrigerate the milk if you plan on consuming plain; I think it tastes better cold.

As you can see, it's a long process, so I don't do it too often. It will be the most delicious milk you have ever tasted, though.

Comment

As you can see, it's a long process, so I don't do it too often. It will be the most delicious milk you have ever tasted, though.
                      I can't wait to try some! I am thinking I can get bulk coconut at my Dutch store.

Comment

So I made my BPC w/ghee instead of butter, and used CO of course, not just ghee or butter coffee, and for me, the ghee and the butter are about the same. I don't really like coffee that much anyways, and would much rather drink it SAD way but I havent for months. So I am not that crazy about the taste, but I do like that when it replaces breakfast, it saves me hundreds of calories that I can use later. And if it helps me achieve all the other benefits of fasting, bonus.

Now that I have had a few more sips, I think I might be leaning more towards butter.

Comment

It is basically a primal breakfast drink...

Comment

I don't think it's magic, but it's been a handy tool if I don't have the food or time for breakfast, or if we run out of heavy cream. I think it tastes pretty good, and it gets a nice frothy top if you use a blender to make it.

Comment

Originally posted by TwinkleToes View Post
                              Coffee with butter??? I can’t imagine mixing butter with coffee. Normally I use cream to enhance its flavor.
                              What do you think butter is? It's beaten up cream.... Pour some cream into your blender some day and let it go for a long time... You get butter.
                              I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
                              My Journal

Comment

Originally posted by gopintos View Post
                                [/B]
                                I have a bullet blender of sorts. I put it in the bullet part with the blade, and just shake it by hand so I don't wake up the entire household.
                                How do you get this to work? I thought it was "bulletproof" coffee.
                                5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Working...
                                X