Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bacon and Salt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bacon and Salt

    Hey guys,

    I ordered 2 kinds of bacon from a local farmer where I live. It's all natural as in they don't give hormones to their pigs. So the packaging says that there are no nitrates added. Here are the ingredients:
    Natural pork, water, salt, Sodium phosphates, sugar, sodium erythrobate, sodium bicarbonate and spice. This is on the peameal bacon. This is one is leaner but there's 4077 mg per 40 g. Isn't this a lot? Are these ingredients not paleo?

    The sliced bacon have similar ingredients maybe except for the sugar. It also has a lot of sodium like 5000..? something for 64 g?

    Is this normal amount of salt in bacon. eek? I don't know if I wanna be eating this? I can't return it now. Would washing it get rid of some of the salt? Does the salt evaporate once you cook it ? I already salt my food so I don't think this is healthy.

    Thoughts?

  • #2
    Next time ask your farmer for sidepork. Same cut, no processing. Then you can salt it to your liking.

    Comment


    • #3
      i wouldnt worry about salt too much. its a necessity!
      Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
      Before and after pics
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
      Primal Sucess Story
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
      Primal Journal
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by jaye View Post
        Next time ask your farmer for sidepork. Same cut, no processing. Then you can salt it to your liking.
        Yeah ill try that next time I didn't even think to ask.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by BennettC View Post
          i wouldnt worry about salt too much. its a necessity!
          Yeah I know we need salt but to eat 3 pcs of bacon in one sitting is like 5000 mg of sodium...That's crazy? Just how much salt can the body process without adverse effect?

          Comment


          • #6
            Good point, and im sure it's just regular table salt. I salt my foods with "real salt" I've quit eating bacon for now as I need sources of meat that have more protein. For a while it was an every day staple.
            Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
            Before and after pics
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
            Primal Sucess Story
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
            Primal Journal
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

            Comment


            • #7
              How much salt remains after it is cooked? That would be my next question IF I was concerned about it. I think if one is eating "primal" then one's salt is already greatly reduced and the odd item with a lot of salt isn't going to hurt.
              Female, age 51, 5' 9"
              SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

              Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
              2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by jojohaligo View Post
                How much salt remains after it is cooked? That would be my next question IF I was concerned about it. I think if one is eating "primal" then one's salt is already greatly reduced and the odd item with a lot of salt isn't going to hurt.
                Yeah like I mentioned I do salt my food but again I eat paleo 90% of the time. I mean when the bacon is cooked there is a lot of fat on the pan so I wonder if some of the salt is in that.

                Comment


                • #9
                  probably
                  Female, age 51, 5' 9"
                  SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

                  Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
                  2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The salt doesn't disappear from cooked food - unless it's boiled, then the contents are diluted.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I find that I need a lot more salt when I am exercising strenuously, and use this as a pretty good gauge for my intake. When I worked as a surveyor doing a lot of hiking in arid country, I would get terrible leg cramps of a night if I did not take salt tablets or even just a glass of salty water.
                      You need more salt to help replenish your fluids, the more you lose, I think.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        It's the sodium erythrobate that would be my first trigger. Can cause headaches, nausea, ruptured red blood cells, etc. -- not sure in what amounts, but I wouldn't want something like that in any amount. I'd look at sodium phosphates too. Spice is scary. If it's celery salt (the most common in bacon), it's like a heavy dose of a sort of natural MSG. I finally gave up on bacon as of yesterday. To get it without sugar and spice, it's like 16.95 a pound! Phosphates are generally not good. I seem to recall reading somewhere that sodium phosphate can be used as a laxative. Hmm! Might look for some different bacon. Just a thought. There are a few places in the U.S. were you can order healthy bacon online. Very expensive though. Whole Foods' 365 bacon doesn't have crazy chemicals, but it does have sugar. It's a dilemma! Good luck. Oh, I don't think heating gets rid of salt. Washing it might get rid of some.



                        Originally posted by cayla29s View Post
                        Hey guys,

                        I ordered 2 kinds of bacon from a local farmer where I live. It's all natural as in they don't give hormones to their pigs. So the packaging says that there are no nitrates added. Here are the ingredients:
                        Natural pork, water, salt, Sodium phosphates, sugar, sodium erythrobate, sodium bicarbonate and spice. This is on the peameal bacon. This is one is leaner but there's 4077 mg per 40 g. Isn't this a lot? Are these ingredients not paleo?

                        The sliced bacon have similar ingredients maybe except for the sugar. It also has a lot of sodium like 5000..? something for 64 g?

                        Is this normal amount of salt in bacon. eek? I don't know if I wanna be eating this? I can't return it now. Would washing it get rid of some of the salt? Does the salt evaporate once you cook it ? I already salt my food so I don't think this is healthy.

                        Thoughts?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Find or ask for "pork belly".

                          You can slice it and cook it just like bacon... but it has no salt or smoke.

                          I actually really like it. Then you can add salt to your own taste.
                          It has a different taste because it doesn't hit you in the face with salt.
                          It's subtle.

                          Oh, and it's usually much cheaper because it's had nothing at all done to it.
                          “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                          ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                          And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Eating Paleo or Primal no matter how much salt you add it is almost guaranteed to be less than SAD.
                            Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                            PS
                            Don't forget to play!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Cure your own bacon, folks. It's easy, as I've discovered recently with some great advice from people on this site.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X