Someone Argue This

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Started to read the OP then all it just turned into a blur of words that read:

You primal people.....Troll TrollTrollTrollTrollTrollTrollTrollTrollTrollTroll TrollTrollTrollTrollTrollTroll TrollTrollTrollTrollTrollTrollTrollTrollTrollTroll TrollTrollTrollTrollTrollTrollTrollTrollTrollTroll TrollTrollTrollTrollTrollTrollTrollTrollTrollTroll TrollTrollTrollTrollTrollTrollTrollTrollTrollTroll TrollTrollTrollTrollTrollTrollTrollTrollTrollTroll .....Sooooo TrollTrollTrollTrollTrollTrollTrollTrollTrollTroll TrollTrollTrollTrollTrollTrollTroll

^^^^^^ OK, That's funny ^^^^^^^^

Comment

Veggies are carbs, but hardly.. I can eat TONS of veggies in a day & not top 50g of carbs..

Carbs are the least important macro in my diet.. When in doubt, I cut the carb.. I dont' think they are "good" for my body.. BUT this is because I have a damaged metabolism, but don't well all?

-carbs drive inflammation
      -carbs drive insulin which drives fat (assuming your sedentary like most)
      -carbs & grains lead to inflammatory bowel disorders
      -carbs stray the body away from its preferred source of energy, fat
      -carbs are addicting & makes you more hungry (satiation seems more natural than sugar-cravings)

I can't eat potatoes, so I stay away from starch AND grain, & of course sugar.. maybe I'll have a banana or plum a day

Carbs are not good for my body.. A "refeed"? Refilling my body with glycogen works & makes me a little "high", & fills my lean muscle out, I get that.. Fine with it for a meal, can't do it two days in a row..

Vegetables (hardly "carbs" in comparison to what an average american calls a "carb", veggies are more like low calorie plant fiber that moves protein & fat through the system while sprinkling tiny bits of vitamin throughout.. good for you, but hardly a "carb" if we're talking about America)..

The lower & more consistent I keep my carbs, the healthier I feel & better I look.. I wouldn't say "carbs are good".. pretty simple for me & my body... & easy to argue
      Last edited by abc123; 09-14-2012, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by abc123 View Post
        Veggies are carbs, but hardly.. I can eat TONS of veggies in a day & not top 50g of carbs..

Carbs are the least important macro in my diet.. When in doubt, I cut the carb.. I dont' think they are "good" for my body.. BUT this is because I have a damaged metabolism, but don't well all?

-carbs drive inflammation
        -carbs drive insulin which drives fat (assuming your sedentary like most)
        -carbs & grains lead to inflammatory bowel disorders
        -carbs stray the body away from its preferred source of energy, fat
        -carbs are addicting & makes you more hungry (satiation seems more natural than sugar-cravings)

I can't eat potatoes, so I stay away from starch AND grain, & of course sugar.. maybe I'll have a banana or plum a day

Carbs are not good for my body.. A "refeed"? Refilling my body with glycogen works & makes me a little "high", & fills my lean muscle out, I get that.. Fine with it for a meal, can't do it two days in a row..

Vegetables (hardly "carbs" in comparison to what an average american calls a "carb", veggies are more like low calorie plant fiber that moves protein & fat through the system while sprinkling tiny bits of vitamin throughout.. good for you, but hardly a "carb" if we're talking about America)..

The lower & more consistent I keep my carbs, the healthier I feel & better I look.. I wouldn't say "carbs are good".. pretty simple for me & my body... & easy to argue
        So you're saying you get adequate carbs for your body through a diet rich in vegetables and low in grain and starch? That sounds like the Primal Blueprint to me, and also simar to the point I was making.

I'm surprised you eat a ton of veg each day and not get over 50g though. I eat a lot of veg (not heaps and heaps) and I get easily over 50g a day from it. But then, again it's about definition. I think of potatoes, squash and tomatoes as veg, even though I suppose they're technically not. Different veg have different carb contents I guess.

And I agree that vegetables aren't carbs to your average american. Again, it's all about definitions. That's why CW and Primal will never agree, and even why some Primal folk will never agree. Vegetables are carbs in my world. They're an adequate and nutritious source of carbs for my needs. That others define carbs differently doesn't change that fact.

BTW, if that's you in your avatar, awesome job! What kind of workouts do you do?
        My Journal: Englishman In Oz, Skinny to Muscle in a Primal Way

Comment

Well, the diet of my ancient ancestors was comprised of:

Reindeer - meat, organs and milk
          Fish - including roe and organs
          Herbs
          Berries
          Elk
          Bear

Eventually they also used the following:
          Potatoes
          Rye
          Flour
          Salt

Somehow they survived centuries before potatoes, rye, flour and salt were available.
          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

OP,

Sure, carbs are fine. Different levels for different goals: gaining, maintaining, losing. As to grains? Well, even the USDA admits that over 80% of wheat, corn, and soy (not a grain, I know) are genetically modified. Personally, I'd rather eat my fingernails than GMO foods. But, I've done my own reading on the subject, so ymmv.

PB tells us to eat lots of plants, animals, and bugs. Plants are carbs. So, I wonder where this anti-carb idea is from.

300+ carbs per day is bad, and most folks eating that way are shoving Big Macs from the drive-through, because they're too tired to even get out of the car to order them. (Okay, that last part was sarcastic.)

Oh, and FYI, people were doing Atkins in the 70s.

But if "you [non] primal people" want to eat lots of GMO grain products by the saints at Monsanto, go right ahead.

Not sure why you care what we think. You have it all figured out, so go graze.
            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

"paleo and primal is low carb!" said no one, ever
              beautiful
              yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
              lol

Comment

I knew Yoda was primal.
                "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by twa2w View Post
                  If you cooked and ate a bowl of wheat kernels, there would be a lot more effort in chewing, it would fill you faster and have more fibre, less would be available to be absorbed - compare the absorble calories in that to a bagel/muffin etc.
                  True, if you soaked and sprouted wheat kernels and ate them whole it likely wouldn't be nearly as bad for you as a piece of bread. But would you really rather eat a mildly toxic and extremely disgusting substance than a steak?
                  In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

who doesn't love spending 2 hours chewing food?

come on now, son
                    beautiful
                    yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                    lol

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                      Well, the diet of my ancient ancestors was comprised of:

Reindeer - meat, organs and milk
                      Fish - including roe and organs
                      Herbs
                      Berries
                      Elk
                      Bear

Eventually they also used the following:
                      Potatoes
                      Rye
                      Flour
                      Salt

Somehow they survived centuries before potatoes, rye, flour and salt were available.
                      Sami?
                      In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Good View Post
                        Sami?
                        Yeparooni. Well, I'm Swedish and Finnish. Back far enough that's likely what was eaten in that region.
                        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Working...
                        X