Skinny fat??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skinny fat??

OK so I've been primal for an entire month! Yay!

Been reading a lot in particular the forums, and then back to the web, to realize that I am probably the skinny fat kind now: I used to exercise loads, not so much now, and while I look good in clothes I hate wearing a bikini because my abs are spelled F-L-A-B-S and overall I'm lacking tone-ness. Somehow I thought I was still pretty fit because I used to run/do tris etc. My running has slowed way down, and it's been years actually. (Coincidentally since my son, almost 4 years ago!!!

Came to this realization in a funny way mind you; the forums were saying the bodyfat scale is BS, and I thought great! I better check my real BF then, cause I knew that had to be wrong (and so I wasn't exactly paying attention to it)... A couple nights ago, I ran not just one but TWO tape tests -- you know, to be certain -- and sure enough I'm made of 30% fat. Ouch. The scale wasn't far actually.

I started tracking my food right away!! And made some adjustments to reduce carbs and keep calories in check (i.e. replace carbs with fat, not just add loads of fat and keep eating fruit like it's primal in unlimited volume...)

My questions are: how long does it take to be truly fat adapted? I started playing around with IF, with my first 24 hour fast (convenient because on business trip and trade shows = crap food). All is good; or is it? Is IF worthless if you're not yet fat adapted?
    How far can you push IF to maximize fat loss? What has worked for you?

I am 5'5, about 129 lbs, and I am trying to follow 120 g of fat + 50-60 g of protein + max 30 g of carbs daily, around 1,300 calories. I don't care to lose lbs per se, but rather cut my body fat - gasp - in half!

What are realistic results? I've read drastic results start almost immediately with the primal lifestyle when one is overweight -- does it take longer for skinny fat people then cause it's more a change in the makeup (body composition) than body weight?

As far as exercising goes, I'm following the BPF ebook; minus the pull up bar. Need to hook one up. Soon...

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Adopted the Primal lifestyle on: August 9 2012.
    My sporadic journal entries are here.

Results to date: I've lost (gained?) one belt hole!

Whoa whoa whoa. Red flag...

1300 Calories??? You need to consume much more. What is a usual day's menu for you?
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Comment

Originally posted by froggie View Post
      I am 5'5, about 129 lbs, and I am trying to follow 120 g of fat + 50-60 g of protein + max 30 g of carbs daily, around 1,300 calories. I don't care to lose lbs per se, but rather cut my body fat - gasp - in half!
      More protein. Lots more. About twice as much. And you probably need more food overall. You're already thin. You don't want to diet. You want to change your body composition.

As for realistic results. I think if you are doing strength training you will feel results fairly quickly, feel yourself progress, feel yourself getting stronger, feel the muscles getting firm. But real and lasting visual results, eye-popping stuff, will take a lot longer.
      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I'm no mathematician, but at 5'5", 1300 calories could certainly be maintenance for many a sedentary person. But to change body comp, I agree on at least doubling the protein - which would easily fix any caloric "deficit" or lack of excess, rather, and should, barring hormonal issues, etc., get your body to lay down muscle and use up more fat throughout the day. And lift heavy, it won't give you man-muscles overnight.
        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I'm definitely not starving myself if that's any explanation. Not hungry between meals.
          Only started tracking food recently, I'm getting the below from a day this week which is pretty typical for me.
          I want to keep carbs low, but I'm no restricting the fat/protein.

Let see...
          BFAST:
          2 or 3 slices of bacon with 1 or 2 eggs (scrambled with bacon fat or in olive oil)
          tea (plain)

LUNCH:
          Loaded salad: romaine, with 2 eggs, cucumbers, red onion, tomatoes (or avocado, etc.) with balsamic vinegar + EVOO
          2 Tbsp Almond butter
          1 banana
          1/2 cup of full fat organic yogurt with drizzle of honey

DINNER:
          100g Cantaloupe
          6oz Salmon (sautéed in butter)
          1oz of goat cheese

SparkPeople est: 1,344

My activity level is rather sedentary with some active play (with toddler) and limited walking (the dogs!).

Comment

Originally posted by MissJecka View Post
            Whoa whoa whoa. Red flag...
            1300 Calories??? You need to consume much more. What is a usual day's menu for you?
            Not necessarily. A lot of people said the same thing to me when I was losing weight on my calorie counting thread. This may be where her metabolism is right now.

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
            More protein. Lots more. About twice as much. And you probably need more food overall. You're already thin. You don't want to diet. You want to change your body composition.

As for realistic results. I think if you are doing strength training you will feel results fairly quickly, feel yourself progress, feel yourself getting stronger, feel the muscles getting firm. But real and lasting visual results, eye-popping stuff, will take a lot longer.
            I think a little more protein but not twice as much. Maybe 75-85 g.

I'm definitely not starving myself if that's any explanation. Not hungry between meals.
            Only started tracking food recently, I'm getting the below from a day this week which is pretty typical for me.
            I want to keep carbs low, but I'm no restricting the fat/protein.

Let see...
            BFAST:
            2 or 3 slices of bacon with 1 or 2 eggs (scrambled with bacon fat or in olive oil)
            tea (plain)

LUNCH:
            Loaded salad: romaine, with 2 eggs, cucumbers, red onion, tomatoes (or avocado, etc.) with balsamic vinegar + EVOO
            2 Tbsp Almond butter
            1 banana

DINNER:
            100g Cantaloupe
            1oz of goat cheese

My activity level is rather sedentary with some active play (with toddler) and limited walking (the dogs!).
            I think that looks pretty perfect. I eat less carbs than that (no fruit) and a little more fat but about the same calories and I'm a lot taller. Try doing planks for the midsection. They are something you don't need a gym for. Have you downloaded the PBFitness ebook yet? Great stuff.

Comment

It looks like your food is good, could use a bit more protein like others have said. If you follow PB Fitness and get in bodyweight exercises 2x weekly and a sprint, I think your composition will change rapidly. Are you exercising now?
              Happy Wifey and NEW MOM!
              Pre-preg weight: 130
              Current: 145 (eek!)
              Goal: ??? <-- whatever it takes to get rid of this tire!
              Started Primal in May '12.
              My Blog
              Join the Revolution!

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                Not necessarily. A lot of people said the same thing to me when I was losing weight on my calorie counting thread. This may be where her metabolism is right now.
                Ditto. Too bad Calorie-counting turned into obsession for me. Never going back to that!

But, I just realized something: I honestly thought the OP was a guy, not a girl, hence my "red flag" response. Sorry!
                >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
                >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
                >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Comment

I'm thinking that if you want to change your body composition you're going to have to get more primal movement in (ie "lift heavy things"!). I am guessing that due to your weight, height and BF% that you're reasonably low in muscle (only based on my own knowledge of me... as my weight and BF% are very similar to yours, but I'm 6" shorter...and I've only got a small/medium body frame too, so it's not as if I'm massively built). I think once you start building your muscle, you'll also find it easier to remove some of the extra fat. Of course, fat adaptation helps!

Comment

I used to be skinny fat too. I'm 6' 1" and started primal back in April when I weighed about 175. I'm now about 168 but leaner and more muscular. The difference is Primal eating and Primal exercise. I do mostly pullups, chinups, and pushups which have done wonders to build muscle and harden my abs. I could be a little less flabby, but have made a conscious decision to not give up beer - it's one of life pleasure I simply enjoy. I also don't count calories at all and probably eat more fruit than most of you.

Comment

I'm not disciplined enough to do the PB fitness exercises on my own so I take a class called Pump + Abs that does a lot of core fitness things. We do squats and planks and things like that but we sometimes use small weights or bands to add intensity or stability balls or small balls to support the back when doing ab things. I know a lot of people scoff at such things, but since I had to start at zero basically, it's been very helpful for me. Plus being a class, I just show up and follow the leader. And since there is an instructor, I can ask questions when a particular movement is hurting me and she'll help me either modify it so it doesn't hurt or tell me what I'm doing wrong.
                      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Fireling View Post
                        I'm thinking that if you want to change your body composition you're going to have to get more primal movement in (ie "lift heavy things"!). I am guessing that due to your weight, height and BF% that you're reasonably low in muscle (only based on my own knowledge of me... as my weight and BF% are very similar to yours, but I'm 6" shorter...and I've only got a small/medium body frame too, so it's not as if I'm massively built). I think once you start building your muscle, you'll also find it easier to remove some of the extra fat. Of course, fat adaptation helps!
                        You know, I just realized that because I used to run a lot and I am pretty strong (as in: can carry things, can run several miles and feel no soreness the same day, and well, I look 'mostly' skinny) I thought I was fit. Reality is that I run less than once a week, my exercise regimen consists of the body weight exercises from PB Fitness (recently) and Bikram yoga once a week. How could I stay fit!?

I will up the play time, and definitely add the sprints in, and of course lift heavy. Where do you start, follow the work out of the day? Or just stick to BPF and add intensity?

When I work up the courage I will post pictures I'm not too far from this:
                        http://www.crossfitsouthbay.com/wp-c...kinny-Fat1.jpg

Though it took me a while to accept it
                        Last edited by froggie; 09-14-2012, 10:34 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by bdlee73 View Post
                          I used to be skinny fat too. I'm 6' 1" and started primal back in April when I weighed about 175. I'm now about 168 but leaner and more muscular. The difference is Primal eating and Primal exercise. I do mostly pullups, chinups, and pushups which have done wonders to build muscle and harden my abs. I could be a little less flabby, but have made a conscious decision to not give up beer - it's one of life pleasure I simply enjoy. I also don't count calories at all and probably eat more fruit than most of you.
                          Thanks for sharing your experience, there are some things I won't give up either -- like some fruit and dairy -- however I am willing to make some sacrifices to drop fat and if that means low low carb, then be it!
                          Next step for me is serious sprints, planks and MAYBE ONE DAY pullups!!

Comment

Thanks for sharing your experience, there are some things I won't give up either -- like some fruit and dairy -- however I am willing to make some sacrifices to drop fat and if that means low low carb, then be it!
                            Next step for me is serious sprints, planks and MAYBE ONE DAY pullups!!
                            Pullups will come. I first started with chin ups and could do only do 3 this past spring in one set - barely. Now I can do 10-12 in one set and 6-8 pull ups in one set. Now when a do a pull up/chin up session I'll do a total of about 60. When I was 18 I could barely do 1....so not bad for 39!

Comment

BFAST:
                              tea (plain)

LUNCH:
                              2 Tbsp Almond butter
                              1 banana

DINNER:
                              100g Cantaloupe
                              1oz of goat cheese

That looks too "CW-healthy" to me, like a walking bag of trail mix.

WHERE'S THE BEEF? Where's the pork, the chicken, the bone broth, the buffalo jerky?
                              IMO you could use hefty nutrient dense veggies, like kale or broccoli.
                              5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Working...
                              X