Uncontrolled weight gain after an off day

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uncontrolled weight gain after an off day

About a week ago, I had lost 5 lbs (after being Primal for three weeks). I had an "off" day, where I had a cup of juice, some chicken nuggets, and HFCS ketchup, but nothing like chocolate cake or fettucine alfredo. I didn't weigh myself the few days after, but I when I did, I had gone from 164 to 169. I've been waiting for the "water weight" to come off for the past few days, restricting carbs strictly, only having 1 piece of small fruit a day and no other sources besides veggies. Yesterday I gave in and ate a kiwi, plum, and a banana. I was just craving the carbs.
    And also going to the gym. Today, I'm 171. I'm totally disheartened and annoyed.
    Perhaps it's muscle because I did start weight lifting at the gym, but honestly? It feels gross, like I'm gaining weight. I've gained inches all around. My waist is 1.5 bigger and my hips are 2.

I have zero appetite, feel depressed, don't feel like eating anything but I can't IF because of a binge eating disorder complication.
    This just sucks all around.
    My Primal Journal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65788.html

16 years old
    5'5"
    SW: 170
    CW: 162
    GW: 140

Primal since 8/12/12.

Yes, I've had a similar thing happen. I'd say to just make sure you're eating really cleanly, maybe don't overdo it on the fruit, and the you'll just have to wait it out. The weight will come back off eventually.

I also find that if I have any off days, it sort of sets the stage for all kinds of nasty cravings. So not only do I have an off day, but then I end up eating more fruit, etc, than I normally would for the next several days after.

Being patient and kind to yourself is always key. Don't beat yourself up over this. Just stand tall and know that the situation will resolve. :-)

Comment

You need to maintain an overall caloric deficit even on low carb. What happens is that your initial loss was a reaction to going low carb, body releasing water. About 4-5 lbs is normal. Then, if you do not maintain deficit, the weight comes back once the body gets a hand of no carb coming in. To start losing weight, you need to drop the calories. So, you would want to start with counting the calories. Do not eat fruit at all, that's the best until you start seeing your appetite matching your caloric need to see the losses. Unless you are a Wonder Hybrid Super-Woman, you can't gain 5 lbs a muscle in a week. 2 lbs a month is LUCKY. Deficit that corresponds to the fat loss will leave you hungry at least a few times a day. If you are not hungry, do not eat, but eat as soon as you are hungry to avoid delayed binge. IF is most likely not going help you (it does nothing for most women), so do not stress it.
      Last edited by Leida; 09-12-2012, 06:32 AM.
      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
      When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

LEIDA - I am definitely in a calorie deficit, I hardly can eat 1600 cals some days (BMR is around 2000).

I don't actually get hungry any more. My stomach doesn't growl/nag me. It's just like I can sense that it's empty and that now is a good time for food. And I'm afraid that if I don't heed that I'll lose control and binge. So I'm somewhat force feeding right now.
        My Primal Journal:
        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65788.html

16 years old
        5'5"
        SW: 170
        CW: 162
        GW: 140

Primal since 8/12/12.

Comment

Some foods are more than just their calories... if you ate chicken nuggets at say, McDonalds, you probably got a whole lot more than you bargained for, including a hearty dose of trans fats. I read somewhere that trans fats alter your cells, they confuse the "guards" that control what goes in and out of the cell, and the guards start letting in bad stuff and letting out good stuff... It could take a while for that to go back to normal, I'd imagine.

Food for thought: What's in Fast Food Chicken? (Hint: It

Comment

Greetings from the Valley. A couple of things come to mind. First, don't weigh yourself too often. Weight naturally fluctuates quite a bit. You may be a bit dehydrated one day for example. It's been hot, each breath exhaled takes water out of our bodies. I only weigh myself every week to 10 days. This way I can see the trend but not stress over daily fluctuations. Secondly, in order to become a fat burning beast you need to burn fat. Resist the urge to consume carbs. Even one piece of fruit a day slows or stops my weight loss. Remember, Primal is a way of life, not a diet. With all respect, live it or don't but don't lie to yourself. I don't allow myself off days or even off meals. My ~20% or whatever is not stressing over being sometimes unable to find perfectly primal foods. For example, the other day I needed some broth. I had none and had no time to make some. All I could find had evaporated cane juice as a minor ingredient. BFD I bought it. Also try to establish a schedule for your meals, that will train your body to expect food around those times. I eat two meals a day around noon and 6pm and nothing in between. it took a while but it's easy now. At first if I really wanted a snack I had something not too appetizing like an ounce of coconut oil in a shot glass Hit that down and there goes the urge to eat. Keeps things moving too if you know what I mean.

Remember we didn't in the shape we are overnight and we won't fix this overnight either. You can do it, good luck.

Comment

I'm guessing you are female, so it may be different for you than me. I have been doing PB for exactly 2 years this month. I went from 250 to 165 and have settled at 168 for last 6 months. I noticed a trend over that time that if I went 'off-plan' I'd gain 7-8lbs and keep it there for weeks. Eventually, it came off and fat-loss continued.

Eating a bunch of fruit or rice never caused this, just pure junk food--fried eggrolls, M&Ms, brownies...and it in no way was related to calories and fat, but more it seemed to whole body inflammation and a slowdown in the guts. I'd notice after about a week, the weight would start to normalize, then a couple mornings in a row I'd have huge BMs (sorry TMI). I think it's entirely possible to be carrying around an extra 5 lbs of weight in the form of '#2' that doesn't want to move like it should.

Probably not helpful to you, but maybe somebody...

Comment

Originally posted by golangrok View Post
                About a week ago, I had lost 5 lbs (after being Primal for three weeks). I had an "off" day, where I had a cup of juice, some chicken nuggets, and HFCS ketchup, but nothing like chocolate cake or fettucine alfredo. I didn't weigh myself the few days after, but I when I did, I had gone from 164 to 169. I've been waiting for the "water weight" to come off for the past few days, restricting carbs strictly, only having 1 piece of small fruit a day and no other sources besides veggies. Yesterday I gave in and ate a kiwi, plum, and a banana. I was just craving the carbs.
                And also going to the gym. Today, I'm 171. I'm totally disheartened and annoyed.
                Perhaps it's muscle because I did start weight lifting at the gym, but honestly? It feels gross, like I'm gaining weight. I've gained inches all around. My waist is 1.5 bigger and my hips are 2.

I have zero appetite, feel depressed, don't feel like eating anything but I can't IF because of a binge eating disorder complication.
                do you have any idea what glucose, chemicals, and more glucose will do to your body?

the form it takes matters not... the fact is you are sugar and chemicals and wonder why your body is acting funny
                Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
                Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
                Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by otzi View Post
                  Eating a bunch of fruit or rice never caused this, just pure junk food--fried eggrolls, M&Ms, brownies...and it in no way was related to calories and fat, but more it seemed to whole body inflammation and a slowdown in the guts. I'd notice after about a week, the weight would start to normalize, then a couple mornings in a row I'd have huge BMs (sorry TMI). I think it's entirely possible to be carrying around an extra 5 lbs of weight in the form of '#2' that doesn't want to move like it should.

Probably not helpful to you, but maybe somebody...
                  TMI, but I've experienced similar, after a couple high-sugar snacky cheat days. Except that I believe the 5 pounds is *ahem* both BM's and water weight. My body seems to like to retain water until the BM's, and then release the water.
                  5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Make sure you are weighing yourself at the same time. For example comparing your weight every morning before breakfast to keep it consistant. Don't sweat the small stuff. Keep eating primal, keep total calories intake low and you'll be loosing weight. Also, low carb does not work for everyone. Many people have success on moderate carb, protein and healthy fats (avocados, fish, olive oil). Just keep calories down regardless of what plan you are on.

Comment

Originally posted by golangrok View Post

In the past, whenever I broke down and had starchy carbs combined with sugar, I'd visibly and immediately "puff" up - even in my face and you can bet I wouldn't get near a scale for a week. It took me while to draw the conclusion in regards to that combination…and with chicken nuggets, I'm sure you've got that in addition to tons of sodium. It’s water weight and it takes a lot longer to come off than it does to put it on. Frustrating, but sometimes either lesson learned or know what to expect the next time it happens. I totally quit eating granola a while back (pre PB), simply for that reason - I figured I was pissing off my body!

Comment

For pity's sake, people, she does have her calories low. Grief. When did we get all high on counting calories as a basis for eating healthy? Yes, yes, I know the CICO theory -- but seriously, isn't the point that you focus on other things, rather than a very poor, inaccurate measurement of nourishment for our bodies?

If you haven't read the book, read the book Primal Blueprint. It will help you understand how the body works and how it stores fat based on our intake of high carbohydrates. Water weight -- yeah, that's the first to come off. But try to understand WHY you should eat better and how your body uses food.

Maybe it's just me, but I too have an eating disorder, though I starve myself instead of binge, so counting calories for me a dangerous slope. I'd encourage you to stop counting, focus on what makes you feel the best health wise, and go from there. Don't focus on the weight loss, as it isn't about that. It's about nourishing your body. When you aren't eating crap, you can worry less about how much you eat -- that's not to say you should stuff yourself, either -- and focus on what gives you the energy you need. It's a dance, in some ways, and you won't get all the steps over night. It takes time and experience. Regardless, hang in there. You aren't alone.
                        The Sedition of Sisyphus: Go Find Another Rock

Griff's Cholesterol Primer

Comment

Originally posted by ciavyn View Post
                          For pity's sake, people, she does have her calories low. Grief. When did we get all high on counting calories as a basis for eating healthy? Yes, yes, I know the CICO theory -- but seriously, isn't the point that you focus on other things, rather than a very poor, inaccurate measurement of nourishment for our bodies?

If you haven't read the book, read the book Primal Blueprint. It will help you understand how the body works and how it stores fat based on our intake of high carbohydrates. Water weight -- yeah, that's the first to come off. But try to understand WHY you should eat better and how your body uses food.

Maybe it's just me, but I too have an eating disorder, though I starve myself instead of binge, so counting calories for me a dangerous slope. I'd encourage you to stop counting, focus on what makes you feel the best health wise, and go from there. Don't focus on the weight loss, as it isn't about that. It's about nourishing your body. When you aren't eating crap, you can worry less about how much you eat -- that's not to say you should stuff yourself, either -- and focus on what gives you the energy you need. It's a dance, in some ways, and you won't get all the steps over night. It takes time and experience. Regardless, hang in there. You aren't alone.
                          This.

I too will magically gain back up to 7-8 pounds if I fall off the wagon. And it's happened way more times than I'd like to admit. We're human. Anyway - normally I go low carb, moderate protein and high fat and it comes off within a week or so again. I know it when I'm up all night having to pee. It's not unheard of for me to lose 5 pounds literally overnight by letting go the water, and it's not unheard of me to gain more than that overnight too. For me, I absolutely have to stay away from rice. I have found (by experimentation) that even just plain white or brown rice (no high sodium additions) will automatically cause me to gain no less than 3 pounds. Does it seem so appealing now that I know what it does to me? Not so much.

Experiment. Know thyself. Everyone is different.

Comment

LEIDA - I am definitely in a calorie deficit, I hardly can eat 1600 cals some days (BMR is around 2000).

I don't actually get hungry any more. My stomach doesn't growl/nag me. It's just like I can sense that it's empty and that now is a good time for food. And I'm afraid that if I don't heed that I'll lose control and binge. So I'm somewhat force feeding right now.
                            Your BMR sounds far too high for your weight. What equation are you using? When you calculate it, set the calculator to NO ACTIVITY whatsoever, because that muddles things up & adds up too much. You want the number that corresponds to you lying all day in bed. Also, make sure you are setting the calculator to Mifflin's equation - all other ones have 'rounding off' coefficients and are too high for a female. Mifflin's was corrected to the empirical number, and come up about 20 or so % lower than others. That's you minimal to eat per day. Then any activity will automatically subtract.

BUT! Even without calculations, if you are holding at 1,600 cals (if you are counting and measuring your fats) - well, that's your maintenace caloeires at your default level of activity, and you can try to gently lower it to 1,400 a day for a couple of weeks (throw in a couple of days at 1600 or 1700 and a couple of days at 1000-1200 to mix things up) and see what's happen.

I know I sound inane, but fats add up very, very fast, and fat + carb combination is the deadliest thing I saw for fat gain (roasted tubers is basically the ticket to Abyss). When I try high fat, I can only take in low starches vegetables. Okay, an odd carrot is forgivable, but if I want sweet potato or rutabaga, it will have to be a low fat day.

Every time I try to 'just go Primal' and don't count calories & eat at hunger signal & eat fruit, I end up gaining weight. Fruit is ridiculously the worst thing I can eat. I tried don't know how many times, but fruit in = bad things happen, even a bit of berries.

The only time I maintained without counting was doing Paleo, low fat meats and vegetables, no fruit, no nuts, no dairy. I am trying to learn high fat way, but it is less intuitive in how you can combine foods.

I am with you TOTALLY on eating when you feel the need, I have to do that too, or I binge.

Good luck, and hope things will go your way!
                            Last edited by Leida; 09-13-2012, 05:49 AM.
                            My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                            When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Working...
                            X