No announcement yet.

Coffee and the Adrenals?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You could try crio bru. It's chocolate, not coffee. Makes a hot cup that is similar to tea or coffee. Supposedly it has no caffiene but has theobromine instead. It's very tasty but it's also kind of expensive, so you will naturally want to limit it.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

What is this Yerba Mate of which you speak?

A quick google search shows that it's actually tea...? Is there a certain flavor or kind that would be more helpful/tasty for someone transitioning from coffee? Is it caffeine-ified?

I used to cold-soak my coffee and use the de-acidified espresso in a cup of hot water (like an Americano), but I got lazy and started drinking from my husband's pot again, the caffeine is definitely addicting. Coffee can be pretty rough on an empty stomach.

I want to wake up and feel awake, not crawl toward the kitchen like a dying person stranded in the desert crawls toward an oasis. I already had 1.4 cups today and am fully aware of the cold turkey headaches I'll have tomorrow morning. Maybe a cup of caffeinated tea would help with withdrawl..

Comment

Originally posted by seaweed View Post
        Thankyou =) I like watercress and berries lots and i do like nettle tea. i was eyeing up a rather nice green patch on my way around the block today and thinking spring veges. i will try some tea with lemon grass and some stevia if i can find some. i'm quite fond of liquorice tea too. Love bee pollen and also seaweed so i will work out a way to include these.
        Don't know if you ever collected stinging nettle before. For anyone that has not done it wear pants, long sleeve shirt and gloves. Contacting the fresh plant with the skin will result in a nettle rash from the histamine and formic acid. I cut the plant then let it wilt a little, which reduces these compounds. Then I strip off the leaves so they will dry faster and spread them out on some clean paper in well ventilated room out of the sunlight to finish drying. Once dried the nettle completely loses its sting.

Comment

we used to use dock leaves on nettle stings when i was a kid. i was just planning to pick it with my mountain biking gloves on as they are quite thick and stick it in the pocket of my jacket till i got home.

Comment

If you are cutting out coffee to get away from stimulants for a while just swapping to the roasted cocoa drink might not be such a great idea.

Theobromine is not the same as caffeine, but it's still a psychoactive stimulant.
            If healing something by getting off of stimulants is your plan, the switch isn't exactly foolproof.
            Delicious I'm sure though!
            “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
            ~Friedrich Nietzsche
            And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

After reading this thread I'm going to start cutting back my coffee. I've found myself crashing in the afternoon even with increased coffee intake! Is it okay to switch to decaf? I love the taste of black coffee and really enjoy a few cups in the morning.

Comment

Theobromine...come to the dark side. Yeah, it's probably not the best way. It's tasty though.
                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesS View Post
                  Don't know if you ever collected stinging nettle before. For anyone that has not done it wear pants, long sleeve shirt and gloves. Contacting the fresh plant with the skin will result in a nettle rash from the histamine and formic acid. I cut the plant then let it wilt a little, which reduces these compounds. Then I strip off the leaves so they will dry faster and spread them out on some clean paper in well ventilated room out of the sunlight to finish drying. Once dried the nettle completely loses its sting.
                  Good advice James...I would add 'wear gloves'...LOL..I'm enjoying this thread. Oh, on reading again I see you did say gloves...my coffee isn't working it seems.
                  A Woman's Place Is In The Revolution.

Comment

...I've been thinking about eliminating coffee...anybody else do this? What are the benefits to not drinking coffee?

Comment

I can't imagine a life without coffee

Comment

I have Addisons disease, and I love my coffee.

I drink 1 cup caffeinated when I wake up, then I drink decaf the rest of the day.

I drink mine with no sugar/sweeteners, just a splash (about an ounce) full fat half and half or whole milk.
                        Began Paleo journey 09/06/15
                        Beginning weight: 236.5 pounds/ 41.8% bodyfat
                        Current Weight: 228.3 pounds/34.1% bodyfat
                        Goal weight: 150 pounds/ 15% bodyfat

"The path to a better life begins with a single step."

Comment

Originally posted by sheepdog View Post
                          ...I've been thinking about eliminating coffee...anybody else do this? What are the benefits to not drinking coffee?
                          Feeling like crap basically forever, but that's not a benefit I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by KimchiNinja View Post
                            Feeling like crap basically forever, but that's not a benefit I guess.
                            Out of all the diet cliques online, the low carbers are the most dependent on caffeine, by far.
                            I can relate. Coffee was a life saver for me when I was low carb.

Adopt a healthier dietary lifestyle and you won't have to rely on a stimulant to keep you from "feeling like crap"

Comment

Originally posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
                              Out of all the diet cliques online, the low carbers are the most dependent on caffeine, by far.
                              I can relate. Coffee was a life saver for me when I was low carb.

Adopt a healthier dietary lifestyle and you won't have to rely on a stimulant to keep you from "feeling like crap"
                              People who are addicted to caffeine are addicted to caffeine, when they stop they feel like crap, for a long long time...and it doesn't have anything to do with their diet dude.

Comment

Originally posted by sheepdog View Post
                                I quit drinking coffee once before (weaning off over a couple weeks) because I thought tea might be a better option. I didn't have a withdrawal period or anything, but I flat out love the taste of good coffee and I missed that. I also didn't notice any appreciable changes for the better not drinking coffee so I started again.
                                More recently I did switch to full decaf (cold turkey) for many months to try and deal with suspected adrenal issues and I think it helped. Now that I seem to be on the upswing, I'm using half-decaf (for about two months now, started at quarter-caf) and don't sweat it if I get a cup of full-caf when I'm out and forget to order decaf but I don't think I'm crazy sensitive to caffeine, either.
                                If you find you're using coffee as a crutch to get through your day there may well be a benefit to stopping, if not cutting back. If you enjoy it and it's not seeming to cause you any harm, perhaps there's no point. All you can do is try and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                                X