Serious help for binging!?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious help for binging!?!

I have noticed the older I get (I'm 31 in October) the more prone I am to binging. I am at my wits end. Yesterday was my first day to go primal (for the 2nd or 3rd time) and I felt like I did well most of the day. I started my morning with a warm mug of lemon ginger water. Approx 30 minutes later I had 2 eggs fried in olive oil, 3 pc beef bacon (no sugar), and half an avocado. At lunch I had half a rotisserie chicken and about a cup of grapes and strawberries. But dinner: Pizza!

So, today I started again: Lemon ginger water, eggs, bacon, avocado. But I wasn't satiated by any means. I grazed on a carrot stick. I had a banana. Drank some more lemon water. And then ate 4 hotdogs heated in the microwave. Yes, I know...totally not primal. But I thought if nothing else it was a form of meat choice (albeit poor) that had a high fat content and was quick without much preparation. Well this was just the beginning because by noon I felt as if I was going stark raving mad. I baked a freaking "dump cake" which is canned fruit, topped with a dry cake mix, topped with 2 sticks of butter all baked for an hour. And then I consumed a third of it. Seriously?? What is wrong with me?

I cannot explain what goes through my brain. I cannot explain why I seem to feel deprived or hungry. All I know is once I start allowing thoughts of cheating to creep into my brain there is seems to be no turning back. But I cannot have something little and say "Ok, I'm good. I satisfied that craving". No, I full on binge. It's very concerning to me.

I've had my horrible choice today and I am good and full now. But I still have dinner to prepare and have after my husband gets home. We are full well prepared for a dinner "on track" and that's what I intend to do. What I need to know is how do I deal, during the first week, with the emotions, hunger, and cravings? What is some advice or tips you can offer?

I understand that the first and foremost answer to deter the binging would be to purge my house of anything I'm not supposed to have. But my husband won't let me "throw away perfectly good food" even is something that is unhealthy for us. Also, I have a 2 year old whose primary diet consists of spaghetti O's, frozen chicken nuggets, peanut butter crackers, oatmeal, granola bars, and bread with butter. None of which he SHOULD be eating. But I am lost as to how to convert him to eating healthier when he is so picky as well how to get my husband fully on board with converting the whole family.

Don't get me wrong. My husband eats what I cook for the most part. But no amount of pushing will convince him to not drink soda, eat sandwiches, and want crackers and such type foods to snack on in between eating. The one time I did clean everything like that out he would continue to walk through the kitchen, opening all the cabinets and complain that there was nothing to eat. Now I feel like I am whining but I really need some advice and direction.

And by the way, I've never binged in front of my husband. I will do it before he gets home from work knowing that I'll still get to have dinner later. UGH!

Originally posted by divadevilsmom View Post
    I have noticed the older I get (I'm 31 in October) the more prone I am to binging. I am at my wits end. Yesterday was my first day to go primal (for the 2nd or 3rd time) and I felt like I did well most of the day. I started my morning with a warm mug of lemon ginger water. Approx 30 minutes later I had 2 eggs fried in olive oil, 3 pc beef bacon (no sugar), and half an avocado. At lunch I had half a rotisserie chicken and about a cup of grapes and strawberries. But dinner: Pizza!

So, today I started again: Lemon ginger water, eggs, bacon, avocado. But I wasn't satiated by any means. I grazed on a carrot stick. I had a banana. Drank some more lemon water. And then ate 4 hotdogs heated in the microwave. Yes, I know...totally not primal. But I thought if nothing else it was a form of meat choice (albeit poor) that had a high fat content and was quick without much preparation. Well this was just the beginning because by noon I felt as if I was going stark raving mad. I baked a freaking "dump cake" which is canned fruit, topped with a dry cake mix, topped with 2 sticks of butter all baked for an hour. And then I consumed a third of it. Seriously?? What is wrong with me?

I cannot explain what goes through my brain. I cannot explain why I seem to feel deprived or hungry. All I know is once I start allowing thoughts of cheating to creep into my brain there is seems to be no turning back. But I cannot have something little and say "Ok, I'm good. I satisfied that craving". No, I full on binge. It's very concerning to me.

I've had my horrible choice today and I am good and full now. But I still have dinner to prepare and have after my husband gets home. We are full well prepared for a dinner "on track" and that's what I intend to do. What I need to know is how do I deal, during the first week, with the emotions, hunger, and cravings? What is some advice or tips you can offer?

I understand that the first and foremost answer to deter the binging would be to purge my house of anything I'm not supposed to have. But my husband won't let me "throw away perfectly good food" even is something that is unhealthy for us. Also, I have a 2 year old whose primary diet consists of spaghetti O's, frozen chicken nuggets, peanut butter crackers, oatmeal, granola bars, and bread with butter. None of which he SHOULD be eating. But I am lost as to how to convert him to eating healthier when he is so picky as well how to get my husband fully on board with converting the whole family.

Don't get me wrong. My husband eats what I cook for the most part. But no amount of pushing will convince him to not drink soda, eat sandwiches, and want crackers and such type foods to snack on in between eating. The one time I did clean everything like that out he would continue to walk through the kitchen, opening all the cabinets and complain that there was nothing to eat. Now I feel like I am whining but I really need some advice and direction.

And by the way, I've never binged in front of my husband. I will do it before he gets home from work knowing that I'll still get to have dinner later. UGH!
    i have a hard time with binging too...try reading julia ross's book the diet cure..has a lot of info..i need to get it back from my friend so i can start using the amino acids she recomends.

Comment

ps- i would also try to cut out the fruit & stick to the basic meat, fats, & veggies in the begining..thats just me though.

Comment

I don't know what your issue is-but for me it was leptin. I am a recovering food addict. I used to weigh 235. I weigh 145 now. Even when I lost weight every day it was an act of will to stay on my plan. I never felt satiety even with more protein and less carbs. I was a full out addict-seeking a dopamine fix from food regardless of whether I had eaten or not. I would struggle everyday with this. after about 3 weeks eating straight paleo I would give in and just eat tons and tons of ice cream or I would bake. I tried to incorporate my binge foods a little at time to not "deprive" myself but that would just spur the cravings more.

Now I finally found what works for me. I intermittant fast every day from 8:30 at night to noon. I do have 2 bulletproof coffees in that time. Then I end up eating a couple of good, whole, paleo meals during the eating phase. I feel fantastic and I never have that drive anymore to over consume. I also used to start my day with a hearty paleo breakfast and then I would think to myself how could I possibly still be hungry and driven to binge after eating breakfast and a good lunch.

By concentrating on lots of fat I lost all my urge to binge. I have tons of grass fed butter and CO everyday. I mix it in the coffee-I have about 1000 calories of fat a day. It is crazy. I actually leaned out even more which I did not think I could do.

The freedom from the binge is amazing.

Comment

I think that IF would be a good idea for you as well. I don't deliberately fast, but I'm not usually hungry in the morning and only eat when I do get hungry, which is around 11:30am (with the exception of about 16 oz of coffee before then). I have a pretty big meal (today it was home-made beef stew, about a cup of baby carrots, and home-made baba ganoush) at that time, which fills me up to the point of not being able to eat anymore. I'm legitimately full after this meal, which is generally about 700 Calories or so.

I don't get hungry until around 7:30, at which point I eat dinner (tonight it will be some pork tenderloin, steamed local broccoli, baba ganoush, and some seltzer with coconut milk and vanilla extract mixed in -- tastes like cream soda!). Sometimes I also have a piece of fruit, a spoonful of almond butter, or something else that's sweet. Again, I'm totally, truly full afterwards. I don't want anything else. I drink water or seltzer the rest of the night before heading to bed. So, without even trying, I only eat in an 8-9 hour window.

Mind you, I used to be part of the "6 mini-meals a day" bandwagon and for years never really knew what hunger or fullness was. As a result, I binge ate a lot. After a day of eating every 2-3 hours, I'd pick up a large vanilla milkshake and two apple pies from McDonald's on my drive home from work, eating them during my drive. Why? Because having a waffle for breakfast, 10 baby carrots for snack, a spinach salad with tofu for lunch, and a handful of nuts for a snack was just appeasing my need for a schedule; it wasn't actually curbing hunger, helping my metabolism, or even satisfying me. That's why I'm reiterating how important it is to be TRULY full to curb binge tendencies.
          Last edited by MissJecka; 09-11-2012, 02:30 PM.
          >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
          >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
          >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Comment

Relaygirl: Thank you so much for sharing that. It certainly sounds similar. Is there any particular way to determine the leptin issue. I will search and read to learn what I can. I did paleo last year for 6 weeks but couldn't make it past that. I have since restarted a few times unsuccessfully. I am 245 lbs right now. I desperately want to get under 200. Ideally under 165. But it seems like such a long way to go. I have PCOS and I really wanted to do this to align my hormones because I want to have a baby but even medical intervention (clomid and period inducing drugs) haven't helped.

Thank again for sharing what worked for you. I will admit that while eating a SAD diet there were more mornings than not that I would wake up and not eat. I could go well until noon and be ok. But on mornings when I would eat breakfast would feel hungry again so much sooner. Perhaps I will give it a go and see how it works. May I ask how long it took you to get where you are today? Also, what recipe do you use for your bp coffee? 1 tbsp each of butter and CO in the coffee or what ratio?

All I want is to not be ravenous throughout the day and have the ability to get over the incessant cravings for sweets!

Comment

Miss Jecka: Thanks for your response as well! Your trip through McDonald's drive through definitely sounds like something I would do!

Comment

I think some people really battle with this a lot more than others. Me personally? I love food. God do I love food. What's more is that eating is a social thing for me, my family loves to get together for appetizers and drinks. When it comes to things like pizza and other completely non-paleo foods, keep in mind that these things do taste good (to most people). You may feel like crap an hour after eating it, but it tastes good when you eat it. Its engineered to taste good, so it does. Factor in dependency on carbohydrate rich foods for satiety, its no wonder that you crave foods like the ones you're eating.

My personal experience with getting past cravings is that until your body has become fat-adapted (it doesn't sound like you're quite there yet), go cold turkey. Not because it will necessarily get you there any faster, or is meant to be elitist, or I don't believe in the 80-20 rule, but because its simply easier. This is completely n=1, and might not be entirely applicable to your situation, but I found that if I took a 'no compromise' approach it was far more effective, especially in the early stages of going primal. So when you are confronted with non-primal foods the answer is simply, "I don't eat that."

Comment

I find myself only eating once a day now, and I love it!

Seriously!

It is an amazing feeling. But the point here is that as a result of eating primal, my body feels more full, satiated, and satisfied most of the time. This allows me to plan my meals more thoroughly and to not be thinking about the need to eat every three or four hours, or even every six! I can spend my mental efforts on more useful pursuits.

Not that I'm bragging, but you'll eventually adjust to your new lifestyle. You have to give it your all. A few pointers when just starting out... Some people find carbs in any form to be a gateway for them. That's why, while fruit and starchy tubers are fine on the diet, I would suggest you cut them out entirely, at least until your hunger levels and need for binging subside. You'll adjust, it just takes time!

I find that saturated fats make me feel more full than most other types do, so don't forget your fatty meats, and your coconut oil! Also, there are some non-starchy foods that tend to trigger the need to gorge for me, so I try to avoid them completely. you may want to do the same, at least starting out. Some of these foods for me include nuts, chocolate (even 100% unsweetened dark chocolate), fruits (raisins are the devil's creation ), and tomatoes. Seriously, if I eat one tomato, I can't stop and eat a crapload of those things in one sitting. Arguably good for me and light in calories, but again, I think it's the fructose in them that does it, just like the fruits.

Concentrate on fatty meats, eggs, cheese (consider dropping milk and other dairy at least initially), and non-starchy/fructose heavy vegetables at first, for cooking fats use coconut oil first, followed closely by tallow, lard, and them butter or ghee. Save your olive oil to drizzle on salads or top your already cooked meats with. Let your body fully adjust to the diet at a strict level initially, then you can play around with adding other foods.

It could also be a leptin deficiency, in which case you need to get that under control ASAP. The primal diet does a good job of doing so naturally, and I think without much changing, it can fix minor leptin deficiencies, but if your deficiency is more serious, you may want to play around with intermittent fasting, protein, and fat intake until you find what works for you. You may even consider trying a "leptin reset" protocol.
                  "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

I have binged as well... many times. Obviously ridding your house of these foods is the easiest answer, but if that is not an option or rather that is not your choice, then you will have to go it on pure will power. Not easily done. At all. I know it's hard to change your child's eating habbits, but easier now then after 29 more years of eating junk... I think you and can attest to that as much as anyone. After I got through the first three weeks I was pretty well off the junk. I kept It very simple, fish, meat, veggies, and some almonds and berries. I have since added some dairy and the occasional "treat" like a small piece of chocolate or a piece of cake at a birthday party (even though I always regret it later). And yes, the best thing about being primal is the fact that you can fast without becoming grumpy or hungry! That takes at least a few weeks though. Be strong! Good luck!

Comment

Jack Kruse's website addresses leptin. But he has a different technique involving a lot of protein but he explains leptin resistance very well. I follow a paleo bulletproof plan-- The Bulletproof Executive I mostly just use his coffee recipe-which helps you get through the IF without even being hungry. So freeing. He has a lot of rules on foods--I mostly just stick to paleo though during my eating hours.

I cannot even begin to express in this little box the depth of my addiction to food. It was so deep. It was an "acceptable" drug of choice-I was able to take care of my family, function socially with no issues except being fat. If I was addicted to pills, I would be in bed all day. Or alcohol. The demands of being a mom, dealing with a crappy marriage, an abusive mother, etc. etc. etc. led to a lifetime of overeating. Losing a little on weight watchers and then gaining it back and over and over different diet, different year. I was always active walking/jogging-but always eating in secret. For me, it was all about food--mostly ice cream and I am a kick ass baker. I would go to the garage freezer and just stand there with a spoon in the ice cream container-I could go through a carton a night and no one would know. This deathly cycle just burned out the dopamine receptors in my brain and left me leptin resistant. (there is a blood test, I think but I did not need it--I KNEW).

I began to lose weight eating protein shakes and using bars-5 times a day. Using some medifast, some isopure, some pure protein bars. Then eating a healthy dinner. I lost a lot of weight doing this. At first I was so motivated by losing I stuck to it a long time. But I found as I got very active running I just could not sustain myself and I was always walking a fine line with over eating and fueling my run. I needed to eat more, but I would eventually give in to more with ice cream. I was a normal weight eventually but it was still such a painful struggle-every day. I would still binge about every 15 days. Sometimes shorter.

Then I switched over to paleo knowing I needed real food. I did a whole 30--I felt a massive relief from not having dairy. Wow, it was huge. I was pretty low carb before but I still had a bit of carb haze-this cleared too. I love that feeling of knowing my body is not under a sugar spell. I was able to run and eat. I still had the damn binge urge though! I was eating a clean diet-breakfast, lunch and dinner. Lots of organic veggies, no fruit, tons of meat and fish. But I still wanted the ice cream. After a few months, I would make my own "paleo" ice cream with coconut milk, etc--but it would just spur me on to bingeing on paleo foods-not a good thing with such calorie dense food. I though I was just destined to live my life like that.

I tried IF during this time too-and I would lose the urge a lot of the time but I was constantly thinking about food. It was obsessive and it made me crazier than normal So I went back to just paleo. It was running that kept me at a normal weight still but every hour was a struggle. Even with ribeyes.

So then Misty Humphrey on facebook posted something about the bulletproof coffee and I know some people here use it-so I checked it out. I made one with coconut oil and grass fed butter, stevia and cinnamon blended in my vita mix (it has to be blended in a blender). I buy my own coffee-organic, shade grown, light roast costa rican. The level of satiety was amazing--like a new drug but the right one that was keeping my hormones in line. The relief for me is amazing. It is not for everyone-some people cannot tolerate the fat or the IF. I can (I don't have a gall bladder even!) because I believe it is what my body needed.

My husband does not do this. He does not exercise but he eats primal and he lost 75 lbs. But he was lightly addicted to carbs-like a bag of chips or cookies at night in front of the TV. As soon as he starting eating ribeyes and veggies he was completely satisfied. He is 6'2" and 200.

Comment

Thank you all so much for your input. I will certainly look more into the leptin issue. I've been given a lot to take into consideration and I think most importantly the support of knowing someone is there to discuss the issues with. I suppose something I should think of is starting a journal and becoming accountable for what I eat.

We had dinner: London broil, braised leeks with bacon, and a salad w/ romaine, cucumber, tomatoes, black olives, and a dash of sunflower seeds. I was full. But I swear that right now this very second I am thinking about food. I will not eat anything before bed. I will make that promise now. But it doesn't change the fact that even though I ate until content, now 3 hours later I am obsessing about food and that is just unacceptable.

Big thanks again everyone.

Comment

When you no longer view an item as a cheat, it no longer seems as desirable and forbidden. Helped with my binge issue a lot.
                          --Trish (Bork)
                          TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
                          http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
                          FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com

Comment

Here is a link to a thread on binging and restricting that has a lot of responses you might find helpful:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread59619.html

And here is one of my posts from that thread (sorry for the cut-n-paste, but it's a long response!)

As a lifelong secret binge-eater, what i found most helpful was to:

1) change my internal commentary loop. 2) Stop using blame and shame with anything that had to do with food.

I could easily get fixated on a certain food - say, an entire container of frosting - and wouldn't be able to stop obsessing over it until I had consumed so much (usually the whole container) that I was sick and wanting to throw up. Then I'd compensate for this by eating turkey breast and lettuce for a couple of days to 'pay my penance'. For this reason, I never left the range of 120-125lbs, so no one would ever suspect there was ever anything weird going on with me and food.

To change my internal commentary loop, I had to reprogram my brain. For me, this was something like:

See Entenmann's cake in supermarket. Start obsessing over eating the whole thing. Brain goes on loop, saying, 'that looks really good. It will taste so amazing, and you can eat as much as you want, no one will know, c'mon, it will feel so good to be eating that, you can make up for it later, you really want it...' and repeat, even after I've left the store without buying it and have gone home. The loop keeps repeating until I HAVE to go back out and buy the damn cake, because I can't think about anything else all night, or the next day, until I gorge on that cake and get sick. Once the loop starts, it's all over.

However, if I could start a brand-new loop before my autopilot one kicked in, I'd be okay. This was really difficult at first, and what I'd do would be to walk down the desert isle repeating something short and easy like 'this stuff is gross.' or 'this will make me vomit'. In the beginning, i'd only let myself walk down these isle if i was with my husband, or someone I knew, so that I wouldn't actually be tempted to buy anything. After practicing this MANY times, it was then possible for me to switch to this new loop when I felt the old one startiing to kick in.

The shame/blame thing I found to be critical in perpetuating bingeing. If I did have a 'relapse', feeling guilty and using my food choices to attack my personal character was a guarantee that I'd be bingeing again, because it was an instant, fleeting way to momentarily feel better. For me, it was CRITICAL to focus my comments on the physical effects of my actions and why I shouldn't do it again. So instead of bingeing and then wallowing in shame, guilt, despair and thinking of myself as a horribly weak person, I'd instead think things like, 'I thought that would make me feel better, but it didn't. In fact, I feel sick to my stomache, and this is the feeling I want to remember the next time I'm tempted to binge again.'

Also, I found it helpful to change patterns that led to bingeing behavior. For example, I had certain stores or places where I could get really sinfully tasty unhealthy food. Just walking down a certain street or driving a certain route would be enough to trigger my autopilot into going through that loop that convinced me I needed to eat an entire dozen doughnuts before I even saw the place that sold the doughnuts. Just doing little things like taking a different route was enough to help prevent that anticipation of the stimulus from triggering my loop that would lead me to buying those doughnuts that I didn't even want to begin with. Same thing with evening snacking - this was problematic for me, so I made sure i had a very satiating protein heavy dinner. Once I was done eating, when the urge to snack popped up, I'd say, 'I'd usually want a snack right now, but today I don't. in fact, instead of watching tv in the living room like I usually do, I think I'll go read in the park, or my bedroom.' The specifics aren't important, but breaking the routine that leads to the pattern you want to break is.

Also, certain foods are an instant binge trigger for me. i CAN NOT eat them in moderation, and I find it easier to avoid them altogether than to have a small amount, because as soon as I have a bite, my mind begins that damn loop that won't let go until I eat the whole package. For these few remaining items that are problematic (dried fruit!) I stay away, but I have to be careful with my internal commentary so that I don't turn it into something forbidden that heightens my desire for it. So, for example, I never say, 'I can't have that.' Instead I'll say, 'Yeah, I bet that would taste good, but I know that if I start eating those figs, I'll end up eating the whole package and I'll feel really sick, so I'd rather not.' Then I spend some time remembering the last time I binged on figs, and how sick I felt afterward - I let that be the thought I focus on, not the desire part.

Comment

I tend to graze like that if I eat too many carbs. If I up the meat, and reduce the carbs, the 'need' to continually eat goes.

Comment

Working...
                              X