No announcement yet.

Bacon = clear complexion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any reason to eat more bacon is good enough for me!

We get our bacon from US Wellness (when they have it)... sugar free, from pastured pork. Somehow, I think the O6s in it are not anywhere near as problematic as they would be from processed "vegetable" oils.

Still waiting for my eczema to clear up completely. I think it's getting somewhat better.

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, bacon is the greatest invention in the history of mankind.

Comment

I'm with you, Knifegill. My skin is MUCH better since bacon.

I'm thinking about putting bacon fat on my hands and see if it helps the vitiligo. I have it mostly on skin that is dry (hands, feet, elbows), and on arms and tummy it has mostly filled itself in since gong bacon. Plus I would have that bacon smell under my DKNY perfume...mmmh....

Comment

Originally posted by tests View Post
          does this apply to macadmia nuts as well?
          Yes and no. Yes, in the sense that it's still a longchain PUFA. However, the omega 6 in macadamias is linoleic acid, not arachidonic acid. But it's still a whole food, so I wouldn't worry about it. Walnuts are incredibly high in omega 6 - far more than most processed vegetable oils - but it's a whole food. It comes with all the antioxidants, phytochemicals and minerals that nature designed to work in kind with that nut to grow it into a tree. You're eating a whole organism, so I don't fear walnuts. Granted, I don't eat any nuts every day, but to treat nuts the same as vegetable oils just because they both are high PUFA's isn't fair. It would be like calling an apple a bag of sugar, and we know that's not true.

That being said, IMO, poultry and pork are much better staples than nuts in equal PUFA content. I'll always take the animal fat/protein over an equal amount of vegetable fat/protein.
          Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Most mornings I forget now to do anything to my face, where before primal I would have a whole system to try to keep it from being oily and to manage breakouts. I enjoy bacon a few times a week and salmon almost weekly.

Comment

My skin is ammmmaaaaaaazing now. Haven't worn makeup in weeks except for one night out with friends!

I do still get the occasional pimple (usually if I pluck my eyebrows or something, the irritation seems to make pimples appear) and I am still battling a few marks from old pimples but it's so great. I am no longer super oily and my skin tone is way more even. I have a few little whiteheads but they never eventuate to anything, just sort of hang around for a while.

I don't know if it's the bacon for me personally, it's probably just the whole not-eating-crap thing. But it'd be interesting to cut bacon then re-add and see if it was that!
              Current weight lost: 82.9lb (37.6kg)

Current PRs:
              Bench: 45kg/99lb
              Squat: 100kg/220lb
              Deadlift: 120kg/265lb

My blog
              My journal

Comment

Just a random question, any thoughts on of the same would apply to all pork in general?

I've recently found a nice supply of pork spare-rib, I like being able to gnaw on the rib once I've eaten the meat and fat and it would be convenient if adding it as a staple could help my complexion

Comment

My whole premises is based on acne. What is the optimal diet to avoid acne?

I have it moderate (i.e. pretty bad) on my back/shoulders and i am 22. It is bothering me to such an extent that my life is in shambles. I also have seborrheic dermatitis on my face.

how much is a Pound of salmon per week, how many fillets generally speaking?

I eat about half a cup of maca nuts a day, 2-3 pasture raised eggs, grass fed beef (sometimes not grass fed), chicken breast (probably grain fed), sweet potato (without the skin), vegetables, heavy cream (trader joes brand and organic valley, although i just recently incorporated this).

Anyone have any suggestions? You would make my world a much better place. thanks

Comment

Did your vitiligo get better via eating bacon, or applying bacon?

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                      In the context of a primal diet where overall PUFA is kept low O6/O3 is no big deal. Yes, fairly irrelevant for anybody when we are talking about O6/O3 from a well sourced animal or nuts rather than rancid O6 from seed pressed oils. HUGE DIFFERENCE. Basically, as long as you are not eating large amounts rancid O6 oils and you eat about a pound of fatty fish a week your going to find you take care of that ratio with or without bacon. Besides that pork has a relatively bad rap for this, and mostly undeserved IMO.

Only 10% of bacons fat is PUFA (and this is conventional data). Almost half of its fat is MUFA with high oleic acid (that fat purported to improve lipid profiles and why everyone goes gaga over olive oil). "From a health standpoint, oleic acid exhibits further benefits. It has been shown to slow the development of heart disease, and promotes the production of antioxidants." Boom antioxidants! The rest is good ole natural saturated fat, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Bacon....superfood? YES!

I'm still waiting for the "Kraken index" thing to be put on the web. Would like to see his breakdown. I understand he put a lot of work into it. Live From AHS12 – New Research and Theories on Nutrition and Health

What is more optimal, grass fed beef, or pork/bacon?

What about lamb, buffalo etc

Comment

What is more optimal, grass fed beef, or pork/bacon?

What about lamb, buffalo etc
                        Most optimal is varying your sources. Each animal has a mix of nutrients and fatty acid profile that differs. If you only eat one thing all the time you leave yourself open to some deficiencies or building up the same toxins repeatedly. So eat a wide range of animals from nose to tail (don't forget bivalves and other mollusks and fish)....and don't sweat the small stuff.

Comment

I have it moderate (i.e. pretty bad) on my back/shoulders and i am 22. It is bothering me to such an extent that my life is in shambles. I also have seborrheic dermatitis on my face.

I eat about half a cup of maca nuts a day, 2-3 pasture raised eggs, grass fed beef (sometimes not grass fed), chicken breast (probably grain fed), sweet potato (without the skin), vegetables, heavy cream (trader joes brand and organic valley, although i just recently incorporated this).

Anyone have any suggestions? You would make my world a much better place. thanks
                          I do this to avoid the boils and zits, pus masses etc. as well. IF you are like me, I'd say drop the dairy completely for awhile (coconut milk is a great replacement!) and try a few hard cheeses later on after your skin clears up to see if tolerate them. Reduce the nuts to one day a week. Cut way back on the fish, it's overrated and cooked polyunsaturated oils could very well inflame your skin. Eggs, I love them, are also slightly inflammatory. The rarer the egg the better, it seems - for my skin. Green tea, dandelion root tea, and green apples also have a good track record on my skin. Avocadoes, turmeric and cumin, and a good supply of liver and greens also seems to make a difference - but I haven't tested them. I HAVE determined that IF'ing helps a ton.

Never wash your face unless you have to, don't use soap or anything. Keep a clean pillowcase, I use T-shirts and thermals.

Active relaxation and some sunlight help, too - if you have access to either one! :P

I almost forgot, even one snuck cookie can give me zits for days! Any soybean oil, HFCS and similar will bring on the boils. Massive doses of green tea help to battle the inflammation after a cheat.
                          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I'm surprised to see that bacon is regarded so highly. I know that Cordain in The Paleo Diet places bacon right near the bottom of the pile in terms of good meats. Does anyone know if he has shifted his ideas on this? (He previously criticised the use of too much bacon in terms of it being processed meat, with a low protein/high fat ration - as opposed to chicken which is high protein/lower fat.) Any suggestions thanks?

Comment

If bacon is the worst thing you're doing you're in a great place. Bacon has had no negative affect on me since I started consuming it regularly and without any guilt whatsoever.

Comment

I'm only here in the thread so excuse me if this has already been addressed. With acne that bad, I'd start with getting your hormones checked. Acne on the back suggests too much testosterone if I remember correctly. If the acne on your face is mostly around the jaw line that suggests insulin problems - do you test your blood glucose levels at all?

Comment

Working...
                                X