Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kind of a gross topic. Would really appreciate some help.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot of firefighters get this from smoke, so look at enviromental irritants too.
    I am sure you know what works to clear it now so I won't go on, but I always tell the new blokes that a hot shower and clear it there seems the best bet. Hope you find the source

Comment

Originally posted by patski View Post
      Definitely food allergy related. Get tested if you can.

I also highly recommend a Neti pot.
      A doctor told me an elimination diet is how you test for allergies, and that it starts off with stuff like white rice. Well....I've been doing paleo pretty much for a year and it hasn't cured the problem, though it has helped. Maybe ketosis is worth experimenting with...

Comment

I've been having the same problem bro. Primal diet has helped me tremendously and i certainly havnt stopped eating eggs or milk. Try gurgling a mix of cayanne, salt, warm water. Its been working really well for me. Ive also been trying to eat a lot of garlic. sometimes i throw a little apple cider vinegar in the mix too. hope this helps
        Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
        Before and after pics
        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
        Primal Sucess Story
        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
        Primal Journal
        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Comment

Good suggestions everyone. I had excess mucus for decades, after a deviated septum (flattened) & complete reconstructive nose job many years in my teens, 30 years ago. I was also a HEAVY pot smoker pre-teen til age 23., wake & bake kinda heavy from age 18-23.

It's also worth seeing if mold exists in your walls or in your basement, food alergies & dust mites, pet dander, old or low qual oils, excessive baking with oils or cheeses, its a long list which I have only partially listed here.

Really anything that sets off a histamine response, even if its low level & especially if its multi-factorial from diverse sources, seemingly unrelated, but if it's a constant & cumulatively insulting your immune system, it can do that - cause mucus. It could easily be a combination. Not easy to do a full run down but worthwhile.

I have almost no excess mucus like I used to, but if I over-consume fruit or 'healthy' sweets, I'm hocking luggies & blowing my nose just like the old days... I'd say fruits are about 5% of my food intake now, loads of healthy fats, flesh foods, leafy greens, fermented foods & some pastured local high qual dairy I ferment myself.

Years ago, I was dialed in that it wasn't milk or other dairy troubling me, as in India in 1996 during my 1st trip there I was drinking with my breakfast, delivered right to my front door, raw milk (which I/we boiled as per Ayurvedic directives & added a pinch of powdered ginger & black pepper). But it was super fresh high qual milk: only hours old every day from the teat to my door). I was also eating yogurt w/ my lunchs, so that was twice a day I was eating dairy & I had ZERO phlegm.

Also, from Ayurveda, phlegm is Kapha. You might check out what your doshic constitution & condition is & ought to be for optimal balance. I'm Vata/Pitta so it was totally not in balance for me to have constant, profuse phlegm. If you have Kapha as part of your primary or 2ndary doshic profile, it may not be as easy to fix or eliminate the mucus. But you can certainly reduce it if you track down & eliminate the causes. Neti pot is awesome, it's just one of many excellent parts of the kriya system of hygiene & health maintenance dinacharya practices, from both the Yoga & Ayurveda systems of course: Sea salt in filtered water, alternate between warm & cool water, done in the morning when you brush your teeth etc, always done on an empty stomach before breakfast. Google/You Tube it.
          Last edited by Betorq; 09-16-2012, 04:18 AM.
          "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
          "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
          "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

If you eat a lot of cold or raw food it could be that. According to Traditional Chinese Medicine phlegm may be caused my these, so the recommendation is eating only warm foods or drinking warm soup or tea with raw or cold foods or taking digestive enzymes.

The neti pot is awesome.

Comment

The idea of using the neti pot has always sounded pretty unpleasant to me (basically, rinsing the sinuses)--but, a pharmacist I work with swears by it and several patients she has recommended it to have been VERY pleased with the results. It's nice to have non-pharmaceutical options....

I use a neti pot most nights, and I would highly recommend it. Once you get used to it, it's not unpleasant at all and it does work. I tend to have dried, um, bits and it softens them so I can blow everything out.
              Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

Avoid airconditioning, that really screws my sinuses up.

If you eat spicy/peppery food that can make your nose run and clear it out.

I also stopped sleeping with a pillow months ago and found it helped because my airway is more open.
                A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

Originally posted by Wildrose View Post
                  The idea of using the neti pot has always sounded pretty unpleasant to me (basically, rinsing the sinuses)--but, a pharmacist I work with swears by it and several patients she has recommended it to have been VERY pleased with the results. It's nice to have non-pharmaceutical options....

I use a neti pot most nights, and I would highly recommend it. Once you get used to it, it's not unpleasant at all and it does work. I tend to have dried, um, bits and it softens them so I can blow everything out.
                  Traditionally neti kriya, of which use of the neti pot is but one of 3 different parts, was not suggested but instructed to always be performed in the morning, as part of morning cleansing on an empty stomach. I practiced it that way, as I was taught and instructed to do by my yoga master in India since January 1997. Years later, I did try it @ night before bed, on my own whim as an experiment. What I found was that laying down for bed afterwards sometimes caused more post nasal drip & 'stuff' to flow & come out. I kept having to get up out of bed to blow my nose, & it was annoying me, interrupting my attempts to get to bed early & just sleep(these were back in the pre-injury days when I slept 6-7 hours a night & was up @ 5:30am to practice 2+ hours of yoga kriyas, asanas etc). Just relating my experiences.

Also the TCM's (Traditional Chinese Medicine) suggestion of not drinking cold drinks (even in summer), frozen foods or anything straight out of the fridge to mouth are big no-no's, actually parallels Ayurveda as the 2 systems have more in common that not.

Comment

Originally posted by Primal123 View Post
                    If you eat a lot of cold or raw food it could be that. According to Traditional Chinese Medicine phlegm may be caused my these, so the recommendation is eating only warm foods or drinking warm soup or tea with raw or cold foods or taking digestive enzymes.
                    REALLY? Where did you read or hear that? Would you mind sharing that source here? As I've used digestive enzymes in capsule or powder form, for many years & have never heard that... Of course now I get my enzymes the majority of the time from whole foods & drinks naturally fermented in my own kitchen. I still use serrapeptase tabs some & some enzyme capsules for when I'm on the go & "out there" in the wild & eating out...

The neti pot is awesome.[/QUOTE]Indeed it is!

Comment

My traditional chinese medicine provider told me, so sorry no journal article as I took her as her word. My daughter prefers raw veggies and frozen fruit so she suggested warm soup or tea as an accompaniment to said raw/cold foods to prevent congestion. When that was turned down she recommended giving her digestive enzymes. She said basically it is harder for the body to digest the raw/cold foods and this can lead to excess phlegm build up. So warming the body with soup or tea, lightly cooking the vegetables, or if all else fails using digestive enzymes.

Comment

Working...
                      X