You are going to love this one.

The healthy Tip of the Day

Younger People Aren't Eating Enough Whole Grains
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Funny how they have yet never showed a good study
    well then

Comment

i've always assumed that the "eat at least x servings of whole grains" thing was to get you to cut down on white/highly processed grains. i'm realizing "they" actually think whole grains are beneficial of their own accord.
      my primal journal:
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

They shoved this down our throats in school, I was morbidly obese
        Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
        Before and after pics
        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
        Primal Sucess Story
        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
        Primal Journal
        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Comment

Originally posted by gopintos View Post
          You are going to love this one.

The healthy Tip of the Day

Younger People Aren't Eating Enough Whole Grains
          It's, unfortunately, unlikely that these kids are eating more meat, fish, eggs, butter, vegetables and so on.

I passed three on a park bench eating "breakfast" this morning. When I came back ten minutes later they'd gone, leaving a litter of wrappings and a wide scatter of dropped and abandoned food in a swath about 4 feet in diameter.

There was one sandwich wrapper -- bad enough -- but all the rest comprised wrappers from sweets (U.S. candy), biscuits (U.S. cookies), and crisps (U.S. chips). There was a big patch of wotsits:

~ Nom, Nom, Nom ~ | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

on the ground. Maybe their hand-eye coordination is so poor, they can't find their mouths?

And there were about half a dozen digestive biscuits across the path.

What the "Younger People" referred to in the article you link there will be eating is refined grains and sugar.

I think you have to read this one in the context that "nutritionists" and "obesity researchers" have actually, finally twigged by now that refined grains are problematic. Their solution is tell people to eat wholegrains.

It's a broken logic, of course. Dr William Davis says it's a bit like telling people that, since untipped cigarettes are really bad for you, you'd better smoke plenty of filter-tipped cigarettes.

And by now it's getting like a stuck gramophone record ... old metaphor but I guess CDs tend to skip rather than stick.

Comment

I saw an advertisment on TV for Nestle cereals, saying that Irish kids aren't getting enough whole grains, and eating nestle cereals was a good way to get more whole grains. Since when were "Whole Grains" an essential part of someone's diet? I just had to laugh. Marketing at it's finest.

Comment

Originally posted by Lukey View Post
              I saw an advertisment on TV for Nestle cereals, saying that Irish kids aren't getting enough whole grains, and eating nestle cereals was a good way to get more whole grains. Since when were "Whole Grains" an essential part of someone's diet? I just had to laugh. Marketing at it's finest.
              Funny, I saw that one as well (I hardly ever watch TV), and I was shouting at my TV

Comment

Michelle Obama visited an Army Chow-Hall (er...Dining Facility), and was appalled by what they were served. She implemented changes to the entire military food system to ensure they feed the soldiers healthy whole grains and vegetarian selections...prepping us for invasion by China, maybe?

Michelle Obama Announces Change to Military Nutrition Standards | TheBlaze.com
                Here are the guidelines:
                On the breakfast menu oven-fried bacon, sausage gravy, butter, sugary cereal and egg, sausage and cheese sandwiches earn a red label. Assorted low-fat yogurt, oven-fried Canadian bacon, broccoli quiche and cholesterol-free scrambled eggs are deemed “high performance” foods.

For lunch and dinner, soldiers are coaxed into choosing hamburger yakisoba over grilled cheeseburgers.

Salisbury steak, BBQ spareribs, grilled pork chops, Yankee pot roast and turkey gravy are discouraged, while baked tuna and noodles, Brussels sprouts, spinach, turkey meatloaf, peas and carrots are “premium fuel for the soldier athlete” that should be chosen frequently.

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — Hold the mystery meat: Military mess halls soon will be serving more fruits, vegetables and low-fat dishes under the first program in 20 years to improve nutrition standards across the armed services.

First lady Michelle Obama and Pentagon officials announced the effort Thursday during a visit to Little Rock Air Force Base in Arkansas, where the military has been experimenting with ways to improve the quality and variety of foods served on base. The first lady toured a gleaming cafeteria line, then announced the program in a dining hall filled with service members whose plates were overflowing with salad greens, broccoli and whole grains.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingPig View Post
                  Funny, I saw that one as well (I hardly ever watch TV), and I was shouting at my TV
                  Haha happens all the time when i see "healthy" food adverts on TV

Comment

Originally posted by otzi View Post
                    Michelle Obama visited an Army Chow-Hall (er...Dining Facility), and was appalled by what they were served. She implemented changes to the entire military food system to ensure they feed the soldiers healthy whole grains and vegetarian selections...prepping us for invasion by China, maybe?

Here are the guidelines:
                    On the breakfast menu oven-fried bacon, sausage gravy, butter, sugary cereal and egg, sausage and cheese sandwiches earn a red label. Assorted low-fat yogurt, oven-fried Canadian bacon, broccoli quiche and cholesterol-free scrambled eggs are deemed “high performance” foods.

For lunch and dinner, soldiers are coaxed into choosing hamburger yakisoba over grilled cheeseburgers.

Salisbury steak, BBQ spareribs, grilled pork chops, Yankee pot roast and turkey gravy are discouraged, while baked tuna and noodles, Brussels sprouts, spinach, turkey meatloaf, peas and carrots are “premium fuel for the soldier athlete” that should be chosen frequently.

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — Hold the mystery meat: Military mess halls soon will be serving more fruits, vegetables and low-fat dishes under the first program in 20 years to improve nutrition standards across the armed services.

First lady Michelle Obama and Pentagon officials announced the effort Thursday during a visit to Little Rock Air Force Base in Arkansas, where the military has been experimenting with ways to improve the quality and variety of foods served on base. The first lady toured a gleaming cafeteria line, then announced the program in a dining hall filled with service members whose plates were overflowing with salad greens, broccoli and whole grains.
                    Well i can tell you if I do end up joining the military, i certainly won't be eating any of her recommendations. Ill just have to load up on meat and eggs. And yeah lets all eat more tuna, if won't put mercury in us or anything. Ill stick to wild salmon and my fatty cuts of meat
                    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
                    Before and after pics
                    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
                    Primal Sucess Story
                    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
                    Primal Journal
                    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Comment

Originally posted by otzi View Post

Here are the guidelines:

oh god, this actually makes me mad. don't service(wo)men actually need, i dunno, fat and calories? aren't they kind of physically active? she's certainly not going to win votes with the military for her husband if they're all going hungry on diet food.
                      my primal journal:
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

Same old same old CW and government wisdom they can't admit the drive for grains is wrong so they try and support the least harmful version of them. Still damaging the body but not as bad - that old filtered vs non-filtered cigaret analogy.
                        Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                        PS
                        Don't forget to play!

Comment

Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
                          oh god, this actually makes me mad. don't service(wo)men actually need, i dunno, fat and calories? aren't they kind of physically active? she's certainly not going to win votes with the military for her husband if they're all going hungry on diet food.
                          I suppose the lady means well, and probably has an eye to more than just what she thinks will benefit her husband's career. They're all working with such simple models, though, aren't they?

As Dr. Feinman remarked in his last column "there is, after all, no calorie receptor". She, among others, has yet to realize even that.

So they promise "more fruits, vegetables and low-fat dishes". I guess the soldiers might appreciate a wider variety of fruits and vegetables, but as soon as she's off the base the low-fat dishes are going to begin congealing in the serving trays. And they're going to stop buying the crap: economics would seem to dictate that.

Talking of Mrs. Obama and simplified understandings of things, Jack Kruse mentions in his latest blog how it's been shown that the more TV a small child watches, the worse a number of mental and physical parameters are likely to be. Mrs Obama, and even Dr. Mercola, thinks it's because they're not active enough, but by the time you've got this far in the blog you know what Jack's going to say:

What Dr. Mercola believes is at the source of the obesity, is the fact that they are sedentary. This what Mrs. Obama is saying too in her campaign against obesity. In my opinion, neither one has the science correct. This is the wrong reason they are getting fat. We know that just sitting around does not make you fat from many studies done on hunter gatherers and from studies on many predatory mammals in the wild who are sedentary for most of their day.
                          Yeah, the "original affluent society". Inuit women scarcely stirred outside the igloo all winter -- because there was just no point.

Jack says he thinks it has much to do simply with the amount of blue light from the TVs, video-game consoles, etc., going in their eyes, there being deep and interesting connections between circadian rhythms, light-signalling, gut flora, obesity, food choices, and vitamin D levels. I think he's probably right. Some of this was being said quite some time back in Lights Out, among other things that if you don't sleep your gut flora don't get sorted out. And the connections between gut flora and obesity seem to be getting stronger.

Mrs. Obama thinks everyone needs to eat less (and low-fat) and exercise more. It may be well-meant advice, but it's simple-minded in the extreme (as well as being anthropologically inept).
                          Last edited by Lewis; 09-09-2012, 11:08 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

If I understand it correctly, behind every Obama there is .... Valerie Jarrett who runs our foreign policy, military and everything else. She is good at multitasking and runs, for example, Habitat AND a private construction supply company at the same time. It's possible then that she runs also some cereal company or has some other reasons to feed our army this way.

Comment

Besides, grains are cheap and this is a good way to cut our deficit/debts/whatever which will allow us to keep tax cuts for the insanely rich forever and ever. Yeah.

Comment

Working...
                              X