How much calcium do we really need?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much calcium do we really need?

I am reading a lot of conflicting evidence on the internet about Calcium intake. At the moment i am not getting a lot of calcium in my diet, so i was thinking of getting a supplement or eating more calcium rich foods.

But i came across these videos

KGNU Calcium and Heart Disease 2010.mp4 - YouTube

The Calcium Lie - What Your Doctor Doesn't Know Could Kill - YouTube

What do you guys think? How much Calcium do we really need?

Here is a good chart for calcium requirements for different age groups. I'm a still growing 18 year old so I strive for 1000-1,500mg per day.
    Calcium
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Comment

Yea i'm 18 too thats why i was really thinking about upping my calcium intake, frustratingly the guys in the videos don't actually say how much calcium to actually take. They say we need less calcium and more magnesium and other minerals, but they don't actually say how much calcium is less.

Comment

Yes, I do believe calcium supplementation is harmful. You should focus instead on getting the complete set of synergistic micronutrients. K2, magnesium, D3, etc.
        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

^^^^ this
          QFMFT
          Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
          Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
          Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

Yea i pretty much get everything as in potassium, k2, magnesium, d3 etc but i think i get very little calcium, the only thing i eat that has calcium is brocolli. Should i try and shoot for a certain number? about 500-600mg? at the moment i would say i am getting 100-200 if even.

Comment

Originally posted by Lukey View Post
              Yea i pretty much get everything as in potassium, k2, magnesium, d3 etc but i think i get very little calcium, the only thing i eat that has calcium is brocolli. Should i try and shoot for a certain number? about 500-600mg? at the moment i would say i am getting 100-200 if even.
              You're overthinking it. Just eat some broccoli and enjoy.

Comment

ok will do, was just wandering if eating little to no calcium was problematic.

Comment

You could make sure you get everything you need by adding bone stock to your diet. I don't know how much of what we need, but I trust the bones I eat to know for me. (I'm no longer growing, but I am in prime aoseoporosis country with the bones "of a woman half my age" according to my doctor, so I think it's working.
                  Misti
                  Grain Free since 2009, WP from 2005
                  ~100% primal (because anything less makes me very sick)
                  Goal: hike across Sweden with my grandchildren when I retire in a few years

Comment

You need plenty of Vitamin D to make any use of calcium you ingest. Fortunately you can get both calcium and Vitamin D in canned fish, a nice convenient package. No need for supplements. You could also make a big spinach salad and go eat it in the sun.
                    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                      You need plenty of Vitamin D to make any use of calcium you ingest. Fortunately you can get both calcium and Vitamin D in canned fish, a nice convenient package. No need for supplements. You could also make a big spinach salad and go eat it in the sun.
                      Yea i think i will try to get some canned fish rich in omega 3, i think that would be better than any supplement. Unfortunately there is never any sun here in ireland so i don't get much in the way of natural vitamin D, almost all dietary .

Originally posted by Misti View Post
                      You could make sure you get everything you need by adding bone stock to your diet. I don't know how much of what we need, but I trust the bones I eat to know for me. (I'm no longer growing, but I am in prime aoseoporosis country with the bones "of a woman half my age" according to my doctor, so I think it's working.
                      Awesome, do you make the bone stock naturally out of the bones from the meat?
                      Last edited by Lukey; 09-07-2012, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                        You're overthinking it. Just eat some broccoli and enjoy.
                        the fiber in broccoli makes the calcium hard to enjoy making it a not so good source.
                        Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
                        Before and after pics
                        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
                        Primal Sucess Story
                        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
                        Primal Journal
                        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Comment

Originally posted by BennettC View Post
                          the fiber in broccoli makes the calcium hard to enjoy making it a not so good source.
                          So steam it. Cut into small pieces and melt a bunch of cheese over it. Two sources of calcium in one yummy dish.

Comment

Originally posted by Lukey View Post
                            I am reading a lot of conflicting evidence on the internet about Calcium intake. At the moment i am not getting a lot of calcium in my diet, so i was thinking of getting a supplement or eating more calcium rich foods.

But i came across these videos

KGNU Calcium and Heart Disease 2010.mp4 - YouTube

The Calcium Lie - What Your Doctor Doesn't Know Could Kill - YouTube

What do you guys think? How much Calcium do we really need?
                            A large part of why there is so much confusion is because the recommended daily intake of calcium is based on the poorly absorbed calcium carbonate (oyster shell, coral, dolomite). They figure that if you ingest large enough amounts of this form of calcium that you will hopefully absorb enough of it to provide some benefits. Pre-acidfied forms of calcium such as calcium citrate are better absorbed and therefore there is a lower daily requirement needed.

But there is so much more to the story.

Calcium does not work by itself. With bones for example silica is the most important nutrient. Silica not only aids in the absorption of calcium, but it is also plays more of role in bone strength than calcium and is responsible for the mineralization of bone. Therefore, without silica taking calcium would do nothing for bones. Other essential nutrients for the bones include magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, strontium, calcium fluoride, copper, zinc, boron, vitamins A, C, D, E and K, essential fatty acids and the amino acids lysine, proline, glycine.

Also keep in mind that just because a food contains calcium this does not make it a good source of calcium. Take for instance dairy, which is rich in poorly absorbed calcium due to the high protein that blocks calcium absorption. Dairy is also rich in phosphorus that is readily absorbed. This can cause lead to pseudohyperparathyroidism resulting in bone loss. This is why dairy products, red meats and colas are so damaging to the bones. All of these are rich in phosphorus leading to pseudohyperparathyroidism.

Some foods can also contain other calcium blockers such as oxalic acid, which is also formed by the breakdown of ascorbic acid (vitamin C). Synthetic ascorbic acid is extremely unstable and rapidly breaks down in to oxalic acid, so taking synthetic vitamin C with calcium sources can actually inhibit calcium absorption.

Excess calcium can also create a number of health issues, especially if not balanced out by sufficient magnesium. The adverse effects of hypercalcemia include muscle cramps/spasms, mental fogginess, high blood pressure, constipation, etc.

Comment

I've always been a fan of the D3/K2/Magnesium idea - in that if they are sufficient we absorb enough calcium from food. I have been mostly diary free for the last 2 years and assume the regular consumption of bone stocks were plenty of calcium.

However, lately I have started craving dairy like a crazy person. I have been drinking actual glasses of milk and putting cream on all sorts of things. I don't know if it is because i need more calcium or not. But the craving is quite intense - so I've been giving in to it.
                              Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Working...
                              X