X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do SCD and paleo differ?
    Depression Lies

Comment

SCD has been around since the 30s or 40s. It has the same inspiration - we suddenly have lots of IBDs and our diet has changed so what did we eat 100 years+ ago?

Main differences are:
      SCD is a bit more generous with the carbs though sugar is restricted to honey only. So no starches of any kind or milk.
      SCD allows legumes.
      No chocolate of any kind.
      It works by wiping the slate clean and slowly adding foods instead of Paleo which tends to be more a case of subtracting food instead of cold turkey change. Though both are grain intolerant.
      SCD is specifically to treat IBD. The logic being that most IBD's boil down to a bacterial inbalance so SCD pretty much kills off any overgrown bacteria in the first two days or so and then spends the next years building up a more diverse biome.

That's the key differences.

Comment

I have UC and am currently in remission (on a low level dose which I'm hoping to reduce down).
        I tried the SCD diet and didn't get on with it at all. Mainly, I think, because of the yoghurt. I can't have milk at all and even with the long fermentation time the yoghurt would still upset my stomach.
        I'm on my fourth day of the PB and so far I'm feeling very good. I know a lot of people have had a LOT of success with SCD - if you want anymore experiences check out this forum:
        Ulcerative Colitis Forum • Index page
        Good luck - it's a difficult thing to try and figure out

Comment

Sorry! Have just seen how old this thread is. Ignore me. Late to the party as usual - that'll teach me for using the search function.....

Comment

Hi Solomani. I have or have had all of the digestive disorders of the type you mention. I have 'cured' them with PB and a probiotic capsule before every meal. All symptoms are gone, but it lurks there and diarrhea returns with a vengeance if I go off PB over 10% in a week.

Please read the first post here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread81870.html

I saw my G.I. Doctor about a month ago and he said I seem to have had a 'spontaneous remission". I do almost all my cooking and eating at home.
            "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

I have ulcerative colitis and have successfully maintained remission for years with a combination of diet, exercise and natural supplements - particularly probiotics. (I do remain on a low maintenance dose of sulfasalzine/azulfadine, at my doctor's request and because it's relatively safe compared to the high powered steroids and auto-immune drugs.)

I use different variations of diet including the Specific Carbohydrate Diet and Autoimmune Paleo, but the common thread is grain-free and dairy-free. I believe you DO have to tailor the diet to your specific needs. I do well on the SCD, but I can't tolerate the SCD approved yogurt. Keep a food journal to track what you're eating and your resulting symptoms and modify from there. I'm currently experimenting with intermittent fasting - daily fast from 8 p.m. to noon the next day - and am having good results.

BTW, no GI doc has ever expressed any interest in learning what's allowed me to stay in remission for so long.

Comment

Working...
              X