Nutrition Questions Fat/Protein for an athletic type/celiac disease

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by amyb View Post
    I guess what the general theme is that I need to eat more fat in my meals...I have to say guys..I REALLY love fruit. I eat frozen grapes alot, I love em, totally addicted.

I'm wondering if more fat content will help my moods though. I don't know that I've ever been in ketosis...I'm not sure how I would even tell if that were the case. I will up my healthy fats and see if that makes a difference. I don't know that I'm eating all that much protein, a couple eggs at breakfast, 2oz at lunch and 4-6 oz at dinner? is that alot of lean protein?
    Fruit is a reward, not a staple for me. Too much fructose. While exercising are you eating anything? I run far and often (50K-50M racer). While training and racing I eat Oskri Organics coconut bars. 60% coconut, 40% brown rice syrup. Totally paleo? NO, great for a long workout? YES. Why not eat the whole egg? Egg whites without the yolk is like guacamole without avocado.

Good luck.

Comment

I'm wondering if more fat content will help my moods though. I don't know that I've ever been in ketosis...I'm not sure how I would even tell if that were the case. I will up my healthy fats and see if that makes a difference. I don't know that I'm eating all that much protein, a couple eggs at breakfast, 2oz at lunch and 4-6 oz at dinner? is that alot of lean protein?
      It probably will. You are not eating much protein at all. To help build muscle, you will need more than that! Amounts vary, but I aim for 1g per lb of lean body mass. That means at least 100g for you (I'm the same height, 110 lbs is VERY SKINNY). You can calculate how much that is on sparkpeople or myfitnesspal or fitday.

Have you read Mark's books or any other books on the paleo diet? Your diet strikes me as a kind of conventional vegetarian one, almost, not really paleo.
      Depression Lies

Comment

I guess what the general theme is that I need to eat more fat in my meals...I have to say guys..I REALLY love fruit. I eat frozen grapes alot, I love em, totally addicted.

Yeah, more fat as a percentage of your diet. You can keep the carbs (the fruit, the veggies etc) the same if you want. You don't need to be in ketosis, but having more fat in your diet will help you with inflammation, energy and mood. I have spoken to so many people who are not even on the paleo or primal diet whose moods improved 100% when they cut out grains and added more healthy fats.

Try to get a good balance of healthy fats. Some saturated fats from animals and some monounsaturated fats from avocados and olive oils. Coconut oil if you like it. Stay away from canola, soy, corn, flaxseed oils because they are inflammatory. Oils from nuts (butters, whole nuts, extracted oils) in moderation so that it's all in balance with the other fats. You need some of all kinds of fats, not predominantly one or the other. And you do not need to binge on them, just get enough.
        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
          It probably will. You are not eating much protein at all. To help build muscle, you will need more than that! Amounts vary, but I aim for 1g per lb of lean body mass. That means at least 100g for you (I'm the same height, 110 lbs is VERY SKINNY).
          Lean body mass = the number of pounds of body weight that isn't fat. The absolute BOTTOM shelf for body fat percentage for women is 10%, and amy_b, if you ARE only at 10%, you'll probably have quite a few issues associated with that including hormone imbalances which cause your period to cease. If you're not having serious issues like these I'm going to assume you're in the safe range for body fat, which is 14% at the very lowest. This means that the maximum amount of protein you should be eating per day is 94.6 grams. (100%-14%=86%; that's your lean body mass. Your body weight * your lean body mass [110 *.86] = 94.6 grams.) You may not think you're getting that much protein - I don't know if that's the case. But in calculating the amount of protein you got from the food you listed for one day, you were at 97 grams. If that's a typical day for you, you're getting plenty of protein. More than that may start to cause health problems.
          Last edited by Moll; 09-13-2012, 09:18 PM.

Comment

This is your food that I inputted into a calorie calculator. You can see exactly how your food breaks down into fat, protein, and carbs.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Moll View Post
              Lean body mass = the number of pounds of body weight that isn't fat. The absolute BOTTOM shelf for body fat percentage for women is 10%, and amy_b, if you ARE only at 10%, you'll probably have quite a few issues associated with that including hormone imbalances which cause your period to cease. If you're not having serious issues like these I'm going to assume you're in the safe range for body fat, which is 14% at the very lowest. This means that the maximum amount of protein you should be eating per day is 94.6 grams. (100%-14%=86%; that's your lean body mass. Your body weight * your lean body mass [110 *.86] = 94.6 grams.) You may not think you're getting that much protein - I don't know if that's the case. But in calculating the amount of protein you got from the food you listed for one day, you were at 97 grams. If that's a typical day for you, you're getting plenty of protein. More than that may start to cause health problems.
              Ah, okay, I was confusing the % with lbs (thought you had to add extra for some reason). Either way, I was close. I didn't think the OP listed how much of each food they had, but it looked REALLY sparse to me.

I probably eat too much protein, but I don't really eat carbs right now and don't want to eat pure fat =\
              Depression Lies

Comment

same

Thats the same tool that I use to track...dailyplate is a great site. I used to use it obsessively and had to cut back. I had so many digestional issues over the years that I've cut out entire food groups in effort to make my stomach feel better. I have read the paleo book, I think my problem is that over the years, I woudl have such bad experiences with foods that I would just cut them out in hopes that my digestion would improve which is never did. I was sick with Celiac for five years before anyone could figure out what it was. I finally went through enterolab and figured it out on my own. It changed my life but Celiac combined with IBS makes my diet so very limited. I'm also on Amitiza medication through a gastro doctor for IBS and that has made lactose and other foods tolerable which is wonderful. I couldn't tolerate tomatos or onions before.

So...while Paleo seems to be the ideal diet for me, I don't follow it religiously because I don't necessarily need to and don't need to lose weight. I like the guiding priniciples and the recipes are ones that are easy for me to digest because they are all whole foods and don't include gluten, soy or lactose. Thats just a little history on me. I like to enjoy chocolate and certain other indulgences when I can because over the years my diet has been so limited and frustrating. I don't want to have to follow a certain diet to a T...I want freedom to eat what I want but I just can't because it hurts my stomach and I pay for it days and days later. Does that make sense? I did find a recipe for raw brownies with dates, avocado, raw cocoa etc...SOOOOO good! And more healthy fats.

I will work on incorporating more fat for sure. When winter comes I'm skiing at least twice a week vs. mtn biking but don't seem to need the carbs for skiing like I do mtn biking...because I get to rest in between. My bike rides can be 4-5 hours on the weekends with not much of a break. Such as tomorrow Fall colors in Colorado!! Just a little insight into my life

Comment

Working...
                X