is Primal dessert an oxymoron

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is Primal dessert an oxymoron

what are some good desserts that somewhat fit into primal guidelines if there is any or is it a better idea just to leave sweets for a cheat meal.

our common dessert is to have frozen berries with coconut cream, chopped brazil nuts, and sometimes some dark chocolate too.

sometimes, I blend it all up and then freeze it and we have it as ice cream.

Comment

Our go-to meal is baked bananas topped with whipped cream and a little dark chocolate. So good.
      Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
      5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
      Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
      TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
      bloodorchid is always right

Comment

poached pears or apples would be nice too.

Comment

Originally posted by dnieto090388 View Post
          what are some good desserts that somewhat fit into primal guidelines if there is any or is it a better idea just to leave sweets for a cheat meal.
          Being new to this myself, I had a similar question.

Aside from the "Occasional Indulgence" of dark chocolate, I didn't really see much outside of simply enjoying fruit.

There are tons of recipes, though, here and in print, with all kinds of desert options.

The common themes I've seen so far are as follows:

Replace flour with coconut or almond varieties.
          Use whole (preferably raw) cream.
          Use honey as a sweetener.
          Use dark chocolate.

I can't speak to how tasty any of this is. My guess is that one needs to de-acclimate (sounds like a made up word!) from sugar first. Then one probably has to get past the fact that the first few attempts at making "primal" deserts will end up not tasting nearly as good as one thought they would!

After that, you can probably create a bunch of satisfying things. I wouldn't try to stack them up next to traditional goods at the office holiday party! But at least you'll have things that will be good to you!

Comment

We love whipped cream with berries, bananas some walnuts and a drizzle of maple syrup. If there is ice cream on hand that get thrown in on occasion. This is actually a go-to before soccer snack for my kids but my dessert!
            Pre-Primal SW: 161
            CW- 150
            Goal 120ish

Comment

Bananas in cream or berries in cream. It's even better if the cream clumps together.
              In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

"Paleo Comfort Foods" by Julie and Charles Mayfield has several dessert recipes that are primal friendly. I made one a few weeks ago (though I'm not generally a dessert person) that went over very well: apple crisp. Ingredients are almond flour, chopped pecans, cinnamon, nutmeg, coconut oil, vanilla extract, and Granny Smith apples. A small amount of honey is optional.
                Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

Comment

Yeah, just call it dessert and eat what you want.
                  "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Salmon Mousse Gelatin Ring and Raspberry Coconut Gelatin Dessert | Mark&#039;s Daily Apple

I have the same question. The few answers I have found so far include the berry jelly from the link above; a cheesecake with flaked almonds/chocolate/butter in the base, blended cream cheese/banana/vanilla essence/optional berries for the filling, whipped cream and fruit on top; truffles of blended dates/cocoa/almond flour/coconut and butter or coconut oil, roll into balls and refrigerate.

Apart from that baked bananas and chocolate, baked apples cored and filled with mixed fruit/spice/chocolate/butter/honey. All served with cream of course.

More suggestions very welcome!!!!!!!!!
                    Annie Ups the Ante
                    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

Any frozen fruit dipped in melted dark chocolate makes and elegant dessert. Raw cream and frozen fruit mixed in the blender makes a soft serve that is awesome.

Chocolate mousse is easy just whip some cream in the blender, add in an egg and about a tbsp of cocoa powder (unsweetened) for each serving. pour in glasses or bowls and chill to set up.

Comment

Freeze 1/2 of a ripe banana in foil. It can be eaten with a spoon and is a sweet substitute for a frozen treat, pun intended.
                        "It is never too late to be what you might have been" - George Eliot

12 week health challenge (95%, more moving)
                        Start -- March 1st -- 173.4
                        End -- May 24th -- 158.6

Comment

The other day I made dark chocolate covered strawberries and served them with a banana and dark chocolate whipped cream on the side. Primal or not, it was amazing.
                          I wish I liked to eat liver.

Comment

Banana slices, sauteed in butter are amazing. Then you could you mix together some almond butter, coconut oil and unsweetened cocoa and drizzle it over. To me this tastes way better than conventional sugary dessert.

Comment

I actually like cheese as my dessert, and salted coconut milk. Crumbled creamed coconut. Nuts. I love fruit, but I try to eradicate sweet tooth. Unfortunately, savory dessert is still a treat, and I feel like eating treats. Based on this mindset, dessert/treats are probably better not be had, however, I personally have a complicated emotional investment into the postprandial stuff. Perhaps, that signal that the meal is over is important after all. I just don't know what is right, and how to establish the no dessert routine. So far, I believe that if one could skip the dessert it is a good idea to do so, but if not, a savory dessert may be better than a sweet dessert if you are working on your eating education under the conditions of sugar addiction.
                              My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                              When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Working...
                              X