Avocados: Crack?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Artbuc View Post
    Are you saying we are supposed to eat fruit, but not supposed to eat eggs or nuts? If you are, please explain why. Thanks.
    In my opinion
    Fruit needs to be eaten in order to procreate. By eating eggs&nuts you're not only taking a life, you're denying it from ever happening - that's why you're not supposed to eat eggs&nuts by the bulk (for proof, eggs/nuts allergy is pretty common and even can be caused by over-consuming). I'm not saying few nuts here and there is bad for you nor is the common egg. However, they were never such a huge part of Grok's diet like many Primals around here.
    It's also worth mentioning that almonds were originally pretty bitter and toxic until men did his voodoo on them.
    Last edited by Gilleh; 09-05-2012, 03:03 AM.
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Comment

Originally posted by Nady View Post
      I remember years ago, when I first moved here from Minnesota (where salsa = catsup) I hated avocados~ bought them on sale, threw away the flesh and grew the pits. How cheap can you get for a leafy lush houseplant! Love them now though! Just bought a bag full at 3/$1
      Currently living in Minnesota, and I WISH I could get them 3 for a dollar!!! I'm lucky if they are less than $2 each....

I'd have one every day if I could afford them. My favorite way to have them is diced and tossed with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper.

Comment

Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
        way too much omega 6
        No way, Avocado fat is amazingly healthy.

Remember, natural Omega 6 oils are fine. (Within some level of normal moderation.) It's the levels of O-6 you get from PROCESSED oils and industrial foods that are brutal. We aren't made to eat rapeseed or cottonseed or soybean oil, or grain fed cow. Those just weren't in our diets until very recently.

Same with nuts. People freak out about the level of O6 in nuts, even though nuts appear to be very healthy and do very well in most observational studies. The fact is that foods need to be looked at in it's WHOLE form, not just as the macro and micros. (Kind of like how a vitamin might be great when eaten in the context of a natural food, but NOT in the form of a synthetic supplement.)

Comment

Originally posted by gopintos View Post
          Did it produce? I will have to try it out if it did
          No~ takes years and they get too big for the house~ too hot outside. But for awhile, they make a pretty houseplant in a sunny window.

Comment

When i eat 1 avocado my appetite is gone for the entire day.
            I don't understand why people here say they limit avocado's. It's a great source of vitamin E. I can't find great vitamin E sources.
            well then

Comment

Man i try SO hard to like avocados. I really do, but I can't stand them. D:

This week I am having romaine leaf tacos (tacos served in romaine, of course :P) an I decided to make home made guacamole to go with them because I felt they needed a little more fat and flavor. But putting guac in my mouth makes me feel like gagging. I think it is a texture thing, I can't stand creamy solids like that.
              yay!

Comment

how do frozen avacados turn out. When there on sale I would love to stock up on them. There my favorite condiment.

Comment

Originally posted by phigment View Post
                  how do frozen avacados turn out. When there on sale I would love to stock up on them. There my favorite condiment.
                  Make them into guacamole and then freeze. The texture of fresh ones can go a little mushy when defrosted. Drizzle some lemon or lime juice on the top of the guac to keep it from turning brown.

Comment

You can't grow a producing avocado tree from a seed. Sorry to tell you that. All avocados are grafts on root stocks, much like apple and peach trees. If you want a real avocado tree, you gotta buy one at the nursery.
                    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by phigment View Post
                      Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                      Make them into guacamole and then freeze. The texture of fresh ones can go a little mushy when defrosted. Drizzle some lemon or lime juice on the top of the guac to keep it from turning brown.
                      Yal they are a little mushy, but I just use them anyways. On a salad or just whatever. The ones that I froze in their skin (but pitted) I will have to let you know after my fast how those turn out I flash freeze them after squirting them, (i said lime but i used lemon juice) and then I put them all in a freezer container.
                      65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

I LURRRRRRRRVE avocados. A lot. Like crazy bad.

Chris Kresser says O6 in the form of avocados, pork, chicken, and nuts are absolutely fine.

http://chriskresser.com/nutrition-fo...hy-skin-part-2
                        A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

Working...
                        X