Feces with red tint

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feces with red tint

I noticed this morning that my feces had a noticeable red tint on it. I have also seen this happen before. But i did eat yesterday beets + blood sausage. Could this explain the color or is it symptom of some internal bleeding?

Beets will do it every time.

Just like asparagus will make your pee smell funny ;-)

They really should post a warning label at the produce section...

Comment

OK, nice to know it's known issue. To be sure I'm still going to experiment by having a break from beets and then eating massively to see if i can replicate it.

Comment

You'll replicate it... From http://www.innvista.com/health/foods/vegetables/beets.htm

The red colour of the beetroot does not come from carotenes, but from anthocyanin pigments. Betacyanin and betaxanthin are the water soluble red betalain pigments in beets, becoming more intensely red when such acids as lemon juice or vinegar are added, or turn slightly blue in such an alkaline solution as baking soda and water. The ability to metabolize the betacyanins and betaxanthins is genetic. People with two recessive genes for this trait cannot break down these red pigments and, therefore, will excrete them, causing the urine and feces to turn a bright red. However, this discolouration will not cause a false-positive result in a test for occult blood.

Sooze

Comment

I love beets. I think one of the reasons I love them so much is that if you eat a bunch of them your poop will turn absolutely magenta colored. Your pee get's a pink tint too.

Pink pee + pink poop = amusing to me. But I might be a little odd.

Definitely not internal bleeding. If you did have some sort of internal bleeding, your poop would be black looking I've heard.

Comment

Happens to me everytime I eat beets, I wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

HAHAA i may have to try beets just to see uf my poo pooo turns magenta!!!!!!!!!

Get on my Level
              http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Yup, beets give you purple poop (and pinkish pee sometimes as well). I've often had the "OMG cystitis? Wait...no, just beetroot" moments.

I remember once producing a lurid green offering after a night out drinking cocktails. Blue curacao is pretty interesting stuff, apparently...

Comment

BEETS! scare me everytime hahaha "OH NO im dying!! wait..no i just ate borsht..."

Natural Selection: http://ichoosenaturalselection.wordpress.com

Comment

hahahahaha yes another BEETS! comment.

I'm going to eat some beets today. Definitely will have reddish poo later on. Happens every time.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Comment

SOunds like the food. If you have an "upper GI bleed" (esophagus, stomach), stool looks black (congealed blood) and is called melena. If you have red streaks in stool (not the whole stool), that may be a sign of a "lower GI bleed" (in the intestines).

Comment

Mine was purple when I over-supplemented with iodine a week age. prettiest poop I ever did see...

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Wait till you eat a few servings of blueberries...

Comment

Working...
                          X