Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coffee

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Coffee

    I do admit that I love good coffee and tea, and before I started my 30 day Primal experiment 2 weeks ago I never noticed any problem with it outside of knowing I drank too much of it.

    So 2 weeks into this process what happens? My breakfast cup is fine, no problem (strong dark roast, either cream or coconut cream and a bit of Stevia). That second cup seems to get to my stomach a little - never did that before. The later in the day I have that second cup, the more queasy it makes me.

    This never happened before, ever, so somehow it is related to this move into the Primal way of eating. It isn't a deal-breaker - I feel too good in other ways to stop this just because I can no longer consume as much coffee as I want. I am just trying to figure out what might be going on here. I have to eat something to calm my stomach when this happens, and it doesn't seem to matter WHAT I eat, just that I eat something.

    Has anyone else had this problem when they started this process? The only sugar at all that I am getting is from Stevia in my coffee - and that isn't really sugar. I am eating no processed foods, grains or beans and not much dairy - what there is is whole fat.

    Any thoughts on what might be going on? The thought HAS crossed my mind that perhaps my body is finally starting to get the chance to tell me what it thinks about coffee and tea...but I really hope not.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Catrin View Post
    Any thoughts on what might be going on? The thought HAS crossed my mind that perhaps my body is finally starting to get the chance to tell me what it thinks about coffee and tea...but I really hope not.
    I think you hit it on the head right there. Your body, once all the inflammatory, toxic junk is cleared out and the metabolism gets on an even keel is better able to tell you what is going on. In this case it is saying, "Put down the coffee pot, I don't want a second cup". Maybe switching to Yerba Mate or Crio Bru would work for you too.

    Comment


    • #3
      I suggest playing around with lighter beverages if you have difficulties with those.

      I am assuming you drink primarily coffee and a strong, dark black tea?

      Try green tea, white tea, yerba mate... See which ones work. Maybe one will, maybe they all will, maybe none will. But one of the great joys of being primal is learning to read your body differently and find out what works. I find that dietary experimentation has been an extremely important part of being primal for me. It may be time for you to start.
      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

      Comment


      • #4
        How long have you been using stevia. I causes stomach issues in some people.

        Comment


        • #5
          You might try what my Japanese wife calls "brown tea". It is a roasted green tea that many Japanese drink. I really like it. Here is a link: Hojicha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Catrin View Post
            I do admit that I love good coffee and tea, and before I started my 30 day Primal experiment 2 weeks ago I never noticed any problem with it outside of knowing I drank too much of it.

            So 2 weeks into this process what happens? My breakfast cup is fine, no problem (strong dark roast, either cream or coconut cream and a bit of Stevia). That second cup seems to get to my stomach a little - never did that before. The later in the day I have that second cup, the more queasy it makes me.

            This never happened before, ever, so somehow it is related to this move into the Primal way of eating. It isn't a deal-breaker - I feel too good in other ways to stop this just because I can no longer consume as much coffee as I want. I am just trying to figure out what might be going on here. I have to eat something to calm my stomach when this happens, and it doesn't seem to matter WHAT I eat, just that I eat something.

            Has anyone else had this problem when they started this process? The only sugar at all that I am getting is from Stevia in my coffee - and that isn't really sugar. I am eating no processed foods, grains or beans and not much dairy - what there is is whole fat.

            Any thoughts on what might be going on? The thought HAS crossed my mind that perhaps my body is finally starting to get the chance to tell me what it thinks about coffee and tea...but I really hope not.
            I had the exact same experience. The first cup and I have this "Ahhhhh..." kind of reaction. Second cup makes me almost ill. I've actually gotten to where I can easily swap my cup of morning Joe for a cup of green tea and feel much better.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
              Maybe switching to Yerba Mate or Crio Bru would work for you too.
              \o/ WOOT! CRIO BRU!
              Have I made you a lover, Paleobird? I recently picked up a bag of Maracaibo and love it black.
              --Trish (Bork)
              TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
              http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
              FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Dr. Bork Bork View Post
                \o/ WOOT! CRIO BRU!
                Have I made you a lover, Paleobird? I recently picked up a bag of Maracaibo and love it black.
                You have made me a Bru believer, preaching the gospel of the Bru where ever I go.

                So, since you are a wonderfully responsible person and parent, I'm assuming your doctor signed off on the theobromine in Crio Bru being OK while preggers. I ask because my medical reason for avoiding caffeine is my epilepsy. I was wondering how different this is. I know they are all related stimulants. The Crio Bru doesn't seem to have the jittery effect on me that coffee does.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Hi there,

                  I cannot go of my coffee addiction just yet, but I drink it reaaaaalllyy weak. I actually only drink 1 cup of coffee a day, but I divide it in 2 or 3 cups by adding lots of water. Only takes a couple of days of getting used to, and I don't want it any of the strong stuff anymore.

                  Only ecxeption is if somebody has really special coffee beans that I want to taste. But then I limit to a couple of sips.

                  As for the stevia. My husband used to put it in his coffee, but it gave him headaches. The molecule is similar to steroids, so some caution on the stevia front is applicable.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I don't understand how so many people on this forum can give up sugar and processed fats and still cling on to coffee like it's king lol. It's just garbage as well, but keep it in your 20. I personally dislike coffee, but if you do, just drink it knowing that it's not ideal and keep it in moderation, like all other pleasure foods.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thanks for all of the comments, yeah, I had kind of figured it was something like that. I love a good dark roast coffee, so I will keep that for now and just cut down to that 1 breakfast cup. I DO like good tea, especially Oolong and will experiment with that and some of the other suggestions. Green tea I've never cared much for, though I do like White tea - it is a very subtle tea. There IS a Japanese green tea I like, but it happens to have popcorn, as well as rice if my memory is correct, in it so that rules it out.

                      I've been using Stevia for a long time so I don't think that is the problem. I also only use it for coffee and a small amount at that.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                        So, since you are a wonderfully responsible person and parent, I'm assuming your doctor signed off on the theobromine in Crio Bru being OK while preggers. I ask because my medical reason for avoiding caffeine is my epilepsy. I was wondering how different this is. I know they are all related stimulants. The Crio Bru doesn't seem to have the jittery effect on me that coffee does.
                        Honestly it's never even come up. Should it have? I try to avoid caffeine due to my religious beliefs. It's never bothered me when I had it.
                        --Trish (Bork)
                        TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
                        http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
                        FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Just a thought, Catrin, on the stevia, are you dipping a leaf in your coffee, because if your are not, look at the label of your package. Stevia has to be carried in something - grocery store brands like Truvia actually use sugar (erythritol) as a carrier and the "extract" of stevia they use is minimal.

                          As for the second cup syndrome, I have it, too, not so bad if second cup is hours later, but really why? I drink coffee for the flavor but it's become a morning habit since I discovered REAL cream from the dairy. Prior to that I had water for breakfast. I really should go back to water... and my curiosity is peaked, someone tell me about crio bru... what is it??
                          SW 260 lbs
                          CW 194 lbs as of February 13, 2013
                          GW 150 lbs
                          PB start date: June 16th, 2012

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Okay, never mind the question about crio bru, eyes are awake now and I see it has it's own thread... =)
                            SW 260 lbs
                            CW 194 lbs as of February 13, 2013
                            GW 150 lbs
                            PB start date: June 16th, 2012

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Catrin--I'm a little late to this thread, but I can say that since I've cleaned up my eating (especially giving up all lectins), my stomach tells me any time I eat something that causes inflammation. I wake up in the morning with a slight ache in my stomach area. I think that is good because I still eat one or two food items that I just haven't been able to give up completely. Work in progress.

                              As for problems with the coffee, besides the quantity of coffee, I suggest you look at the coconut product you are using. Many coconut products these days have alot of additives in them and are worth avoiding. If you use coconut milk, I suggest that you use a full fat coconut milk with only guar gum in the ingredients. That way you have a clean coconut product. Thai Kitchen makes an organic full fat can of coconut milk that is fine, plus they have a low fat organic version too. There are several other makers of good coconut milk available.

                              As for Stevia I would avoid it. Learn to enjoy your coffee without any sugar additive. The full fat coconut milk should taste great for you once you get used to it. Can you tell I'm a coffee lover too? I only have one big cup in the morning though.

                              Carol

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X