The week of the pickled veggie...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The week of the pickled veggie...

So, went to the farmer's market this morning as per usual. And at my farmer's market we have this wonderful local vendor that has been in the business of fermenting vegetables for at least twenty years now.

All I've got to say is... I now have sauerkraut, pickled okra, and pickled hot peppers in my possession. This is going to go down well.

Anyone want a dish of probiotics with a side of vitamins, minerals, and fiber?
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Am very jealous! Enjoy. : )

Comment

I do my own lacto ferments at home. GREAT stuff. So easy I've only had one "off" jar out of about 20 attempts.

Comment

Lissee, I give you a personal invitation to come on over for a tasting.
        "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
          I do my own lacto ferments at home. GREAT stuff. So easy I've only had one "off" jar out of about 20 attempts.
          I'd do it myself, but I have a roommate who already complains about the smell of the stuff I get when I open the containers. Can just imagine the fuss he'd put up if I tried to make my own.

Comment

Okraaaa !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sjmc View Post
              Okraaaa !!!!!
              Hahaha, yep. Fermented okra is in my possession. Aren't you just jealous?

Comment

My husband loves kimchee and has made cold packed saurkraut in the past (I miss it) - other than that and beer, I don't have much experience with fermented foods. I am curious and want to try fermenting something - but is there an easy starter recipe that I could experiment with? I'm in southern Idaho, so okra is not an option, but zucchini is prolific and peppers are fairly easy to find...
                SW 260 lbs
                CW 194 lbs as of February 13, 2013
                GW 150 lbs
                PB start date: June 16th, 2012

Comment

You can ferment almost any vegetable you want really. Although, I'd guess certain leafy greens might not hold up so well, so I'd personally limit it to the more hearty vegetables. Bell peppers, great. Hot peppers, great. Zucchini and squash, great (but might take a bit longer unless you cut them up due to their tough skin). The booth I bought from also had fermented tomatoes. You see where I'm going with this.

I suggest you read this:

Real Food, My Way: Of Probiotics and Pickles

Awesome reference on pickling/fermenting fruits and veggies.

Bear in mind that the author is FAR from primal. She recommends fermenting green beans and other legumes (and well all know legumes are primal no-nos for the most part) and has some decidedly NON-primal serving recommendations for said veggies. But get past that, and you might just have the information you need to get started!

Comment

Awesome, thank you! Oh, boy, fermented tomatoes, my toes are curling already...
                    SW 260 lbs
                    CW 194 lbs as of February 13, 2013
                    GW 150 lbs
                    PB start date: June 16th, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Nycteris View Post
                      Awesome, thank you! Oh, boy, fermented tomatoes, my toes are curling already...
                      Hah, glad to help your toes get a-curlin'...

Go forth and ferment!

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
                        Lissee, I give you a personal invitation to come on over for a tasting.
                        Wahoo, be right over.

Comment

Originally posted by lissee View Post
                          Wahoo, be right over.
                          Can't wait! Let me know when your plane lands!

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
                            Can't wait! Let me know when your plane lands!
                            Will do. lol

So, thanks for that link to the fermenting site with all the recipes. Am looking forward to giving some of them a try. Am intrigued by the garlic recipe.

Comment

Originally posted by lissee View Post
                              Will do. lol

So, thanks for that link to the fermenting site with all the recipes. Am looking forward to giving some of them a try. Am intrigued by the garlic recipe.
                              Okie-dokie, we'll get ya to my door swomehow.

The garlic recipe looks delish! Although I'm not sure if I could stand waiting four or five months...

I'm too impatient!

Comment

Working...
                              X