No announcement yet.

The week of the pickled veggie...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a booth at my local Farmer's Market called Edible Alchemy that does all things fermented including some awesome kombucha. Yesterday I bought this stuff from him that is blend of cabbage, cilantro, chlorella, spirulina, dulse, onion, and salt. He calls it Green Detox but it is very tasty.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
      There is a booth at my local Farmer's Market called Edible Alchemy that does all things fermented including some awesome kombucha. Yesterday I bought this stuff from him that is blend of cabbage, cilantro, chlorella, spirulina, dulse, onion, and salt. He calls it Green Detox but it is very tasty.
      Paleobird... Fermented stuff lasts forever if kept in the brine, so ummm... Buy me some of everything and mail it my way!

I'll gladly pay you back Tuesday for some fermented goodies today.
      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
        Okie-dokie, we'll get ya to my door swomehow.

The garlic recipe looks delish! Although I'm not sure if I could stand waiting four or five months...

I'm too impatient!
        *grin*

I know! When I saw that it takes so long for the garlic recipe I was surprised. But it might actually work for me. I'm planning a long trip soon, and timing wise, it might just work out for when I get back. That is if it doesn't explode on me while I'm gone, or make my apartment smell horribly...

But I like garlic, and it's supposed to be good for you, so I thought it might be interesting to it try out.

Comment

Originally posted by lissee View Post
          *grin*

I know! When I saw that it takes so long for the garlic recipe I was surprised. But it might actually work for me. I'm planning a long trip soon, and timing wise, it might just work out for when I get back. That is if it doesn't explode on me while I'm gone, or make my apartment smell horribly...

But I like garlic, and it's supposed to be good for you, so I thought it might be interesting to it try out.
          Raw garlic contains an antioxidant (it degrades to almost nothing when heated or cooked) that is called "allicin." Allicin thins the blood for a more efficient blood flow and also has been shown to scavenge free radicals in the heart and reduce cholesterol. It's benefits are very targeted towards the cardiovascular system, but of course, what's good for it is often good for many other systems as well.

Although, the key was that raw garlic was the substance that had all of the wonderful health benefits. The allicin tends to break down rather easily. I'm not sure how well the allicin would hold up after four or five months of fermenting however...

Where ya going for a trip that long?
          "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Drumroll..... Just saw this! How timely! I'm intrigued!!

Comment

Originally posted by TLoRu View Post
              Drumroll..... Just saw this! How timely! I'm intrigued!!
              I agree that probiotics are EXTREMELY important for our long-term digestive and intestinal health. But I don't think we need to take expensive probiotic supplements. We can very easily get our probiotics simply by eating fermented foods. And there are lots of options.

Almost any fruit of vegetable can be fermented, people have fermented organ meats, even tea can be fermented. We call that one kombucha. It gets all wonderfully fizzy...

Come on over, I'll give you a taste of my veggies, you can see if you like 'em!
              Last edited by Drumroll; 09-02-2012, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Okay, tried the kombucha a few wks ago, totally grossed out- couldn't handle it.... Do you recommend any brands specifically? Oh and Id like to Buy fermented veggies and kraut. Recs?

You're awesome. Thanks drumroll

Comment

Okay, tried the kombucha a few wks ago, totally grossed out- couldn't handle it.... Do you recommend any brands specifically? Oh and Id like to Buy fermented veggies and kraut. Recs?

You're awesome. Thanks drumroll
                  Kombucha isn't for everyone, that's true. You can make your own fermented veggies at home. Look for the link I posted earlier in this thread for more information on how. You can use almost any veggie you want really.

However, I would not recommend you buy the cheap sauerkraut and pickles sold at the store and expect them to do much. They've been kept in vinegar solutions for so long that most of their benefits have probably been eliminated. Oh, they might have some residual benefits, but you'd be better to find a local, fresh source. Look at local farmer's markets or find a local company and visit them directly.

Or, as I suggested before, you can make your own.

Comment

Ok! I went out and bought some kombucha after the gym this am. Horrible at first, but it grew on me. Drank about half, I'll save the rest for tmrw. it was the wholefoods version, so probably not the best, but better than nothing. How much do u drink drumroll?

The fermenting of veggies really isn't too complicated. I'm surprised haha. I think I may have found my next challenge!

Comment

This is the book I started fermenting with Amazon.com: Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture Foods (9781931498234): Sandor Ellix Katz, Sally Fallon: Books. Lots of easy starter ferments in there. He has another called "The Art of Fermentation", but it is quite a bit heavier in other areas....not so much a starter recipe guide. This is the first one I did http://www.wildfermentation.com/making-sauerkraut-2/. I never liked sauerkraut till I made my own.

Comment

Ok! I went out and bought some kombucha after the gym this am. Horrible at first, but it grew on me. Drank about half, I'll save the rest for tmrw. it was the wholefoods version, so probably not the best, but better than nothing. How much do u drink drumroll?

The fermenting of veggies really isn't too complicated. I'm surprised haha. I think I may have found my next challenge!
                        I don't drink a lot of kombucha, actually. Just on occassion. I don't like the store brands because they don't usually let them ferment long enough to eliminate all of the sugars from the brew.

A friend of mine in college used to make it, and he'd let it sit to the point that almost all of the sugar had been consumed by the bacteria. That stuff was STRONG. But that's a great thing first thing in the morning because it REALLY wakes you up! Yum!

Fermenting veggies is easy. The only reason I don't do it is because my roommate would probably complain about the stench of the process. He complains every time I even pull out the ones I buy at the farmer's market.

Comment

Do you recommend any brands specifically? Oh and Id like to Buy fermented veggies and kraut. Recs?
                          As soon as I'm back in the States, I'm ordering some of these. Nice thing is they're on the East coast like you, so they're fairly local. Cultured Vegetables - CULTURED VEGETABLES, SHOP-IMMUNITRITION

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                            This is the book I started fermenting with Amazon.com: Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture Foods (9781931498234): Sandor Ellix Katz, Sally Fallon: Books. Lots of easy starter ferments in there. He has another called "The Art of Fermentation", but it is quite a bit heavier in other areas....not so much a starter recipe guide. This is the first one I did http://www.wildfermentation.com/making-sauerkraut-2/. I never liked sauerkraut till I made my own.
                            I grew up on store bought sauerkraut and really liked it. I read through Wild Fermentation and then attempted my own. Now I absolutely love the stuff and it is super easy to make...bonus!
                            “Life is a journey, not a destination.”
                            ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

SW (January 2011): 208.5
                            LPW (March 23, 2013): 156.0
                            CW (July, 4, 2013): 172

Comment

Working...
                            X