No announcement yet.

I work for CW doctors and sometimes their advice makes me cringe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over the past two years both my parents were treated for cancer and passed within about 6-8 months of diagnosis. No doctor in their treatment ever suggested nutrition might play a role in their healing or how they felt. They actually encouraged them to eat whatever they wanted (including Boost and Ensure :O). Meals and snacks were mostly carbs, with liberal doses of sweet deserts. Sometimes meals were donuts... While it pained me, I gave them whatever they wanted and tried not to nag about nutrition.

How I wish the doctors would have been telling them the same things I was reading in all the books I was reading on cancer (and the role of nutrition). I have been mostly paleo for over a year and low carb for many years. I eat this way because I feel so much better. After seeing the impact of cancer and notice the increase of it in our society.. hopefully I am giving myself the best chance to live cancer free.

Comment

That's sad....I know what you mean though cuz my brother was in the same position, and he died from liver cancer. I decided that I would learn from watching him and a neighbor die from cancer. They were both young--about 60 years old and seemingly healthy until diagnosis. This is why I've changed my whole diet. I don't want to get cancer. Dr. Gundry of Diet Evolution has been most helpful regarding anti cancer diet. Check out the website or the Facebook page.
      Carol

Originally posted by Suncountry View Post
      Over the past two years both my parents were treated for cancer and passed within about 6-8 months of diagnosis. No doctor in their treatment ever suggested nutrition might play a role in their healing or how they felt. They actually encouraged them to eat whatever they wanted (including Boost and Ensure :O). Meals and snacks were mostly carbs, with liberal doses of sweet deserts. Sometimes meals were donuts... While it pained me, I gave them whatever they wanted and tried not to nag about nutrition.

How I wish the doctors would have been telling them the same things I was reading in all the books I was reading on cancer (and the role of nutrition). I have been mostly paleo for over a year and low carb for many years. I eat this way because I feel so much better. After seeing the impact of cancer and notice the increase of it in our society.. hopefully I am giving myself the best chance to live cancer free.

Comment

If you want a doctor with an extensive nutrition education, then look for Naturopathic doctors. They aren't licensed in every state but that doesn't mean they aren't there. Graduates from Bastyr and NCNM have hundreds of hours in pharmacology, pathology, and A&P, just like conventional doctors, but they also receive tons of training in nutrition and the biochemistry behind it. Sure, there are some stupid ND's, just like MD's, but you can guarantee they aren't going to recommend Ensure or other junk to anyone with cancer.

Comment

Lots of horror stories about MDs, if Drs are truly so horrible, you wonder why anyone goes to them, ever. Point is, when someone' breaks a hip or has crushing chest pain or the worst headache of their life, no one heads over to their naturopath, they all go to the ER and then blame everyone there for what's happening to them and you bet they don't want to hear anything about "cutting out nightshades," they all want MRIs, CTs, angio, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by EyeOfRound View Post
            Lots of horror stories about MDs, if Drs are truly so horrible, you wonder why anyone goes to them, ever. Point is, when someone' breaks a hip or has crushing chest pain or the worst headache of their life, no one heads over to their naturopath, they all go to the ER and then blame everyone there for what's happening to them and you bet they don't want to hear anything about "cutting out nightshades," they all want MRIs, CTs, angio, etc.
            You correctly point out that conventional medicine is good at EMERGENCY medicine. Most anything else and it's a pill for this and surgery for that, when "cutting out nightshades" could very well get rid of those headaches. Basically, if you don't want to get severely ill in the first place, an ND is a better bet.
            Last edited by jkr; 09-11-2012, 09:59 PM.

Comment

The whole disappointment act comes from trusting your body in the hands of the white coats instead of yours.
              Once you take responsibility on your own well being, doctors don't really get in your nerves.

What pisses you is the blind faith in doctors. When given that faith, is there any wonder it gets abused?
              Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Comment

Working...
              X