No announcement yet.

Scotch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, and I've always preferred to drink it neat. At different tastings we have been encouraged to try adding water, and I never seem to favour that taste.

Comment

I tend towards the Speysides rather than the Islays. The Speyside malts are smoother and mellower. I like Laphroig, but it's justa little too smoky for me.

We get a bottle of single cask malt from any one of the many tiny obscure distilleries every quarter as part of a subscription. It's great tasting all the different varieties.

Comment

That sounds like a wonderful idea, don't know if that's available here though.

Comment

I had some Famous Grouse once...the whole bottle at once and only once.

Comment

Springbank, Laphroig Talisker I am definitely an Islay man but I also enjoy Old Pultney, Highland Park etc.

Oh and not only is it drunk neat but also blindfolded least I drool at the sight of the amber liquor and dilute it.
            Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
            PS
            Don't forget to play!

Comment

Originally posted by urbancaveman View Post
              Onalark, someone famous once said, " There is a special place in hell for thos who spoil a good scotch!!" lol
              Hey, at least I'm not mixing it with Sprite.

In the case of something like Laphroaig, I really feel it benefits (for my palate) to have a dash of water thrown in. Otherwise, it's like drinking straight smoke extract. I just can't!

Then again, supposedly I have Heightened Senses now that I'm gestating, so that may have been part of it. But I really have always liked a touch of water with my whisky.

I knew an author on GEnie who used to eat chocolate chip cookies with his. I'm pretty sure he dunked them in the scotch. I have never done that.
              Steph
              My Primal Meanderings

Comment

Balvenie Caribbean Cask, still around if you look. Maybe a cheat as far as the method but it has that transcendent smoothness that only the unspeakably expensive one offs that I've sampled had.
                Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Comment

Originally posted by peril View Post
                  Lagavullin, ...
                  This. Lagavulin 16 = the Balls.
                  The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Might be sacrilege to professional imbibers but Lidl's Ben Bracken is actually quite drinkable, especially at the price.
                    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Comment

If you're gluten sensitive, beware the cheap blended scotches, as they can have malt flavouring added back in to adjust the taste. Good single malt doesn't have that issue, and distillation removes gluten, making good scotch safe for me.

Which is good, because giving up beer was hard, but giving up scotch would possibly have resulted in the destruction of several city blocks.
                      If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive. --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Working...
                      X