No announcement yet.

Fasting Challenge Next Week

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, I'm going to watch them again armed with my new knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by Piscator View Post
      As for the question about a true water fast - no, I will probably have coffee and/or tea, but that will be black only. My recent 21 day fast was the same - coffee and/or tea but zero calories.
      And what the heck is BP Coffee? I wasn't aware British Petroleum was in the coffee biz.
      1. Coffee and tea and yerba mate all have trace calories. Coffee in the form of slight protein content, tea and yerba mate in the form of slight carb content. Alas, nothing is perfect in this world. But they could turn an unsuccessful fast into a successful one by decreasing appetite. Of the three, yerba mate is probably the best option for this.

2. BP is "bulletproof." It usually means yerba mate, tea, or coffee taken with a tablespoon of either coconut oil, butter, or ghee. It is something that many claim gives them a high energy level (due to MCT content in the fat mixing with caffeine), while it does not take them out of the "fasting" state, since it contains no carbs or protein, they will stay in ketosis, so some say it is ok on a fast. Personally, fat is still food and calories in my opinion and bulletproof anything should be out.
      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
        Personally, fat is still food and calories in my opinion and bulletproof anything should be out.
        Right, still calories from fat - so that means it doesn't let your body know you have broken the fast. (According to Mr. BP dude) I figure if it helps to obtain some of the other benefits, I am okay with it if I need it to help get me by. The BP dude gives a few more reasons also. He feels that the MCT oil (I use CO) it increases ketone production and increases metabolism by 12%. (I am just the messenger. He may have studies and more info listed on his site here.) He also talks about tripling down on mTOR but he does say that plain coffee would do the trick also.
        65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

1. Coffee and tea and yerba mate all have trace calories. Coffee in the form of slight protein content, tea and yerba mate in the form of slight carb content. Alas, nothing is perfect in this world. But they could turn an unsuccessful fast into a successful one by decreasing appetite. Of the three, yerba mate is probably the best option for this.
          I love Yerba Mate', it's effects, taste & nutritional profile. Plus buying it benefits the rainforest dwellers in Paraguay (I buy mine from Guayaki, friends of mine who live/run the company from Sebastopol, about 30 minutes north of my town)

2. BP is "bulletproof." It usually means yerba mate, tea, or coffee taken with a tablespoon of either coconut oil, butter, or ghee. It is something that many claim gives them a high energy level (due to MCT content in the fat mixing with caffeine), while it does not take them out of the "fasting" state, since it contains no carbs or protein, they will stay in ketosis, so some say it is ok on a fast. Personally, fat is still food and calories in my opinion and bulletproof anything should be out.
          I disagree, anything under 50 calories doesn't break the fast & if its purely fat, it just reinforces ketone production. I use a very small amount of coco oil & a heaping spoonful of fresh cinnamon powder in my BP coffee.

Originally posted by gopintos View Post
          Right, still calories from fat - so that means it doesn't let your body know you have broken the fast. (According to Mr. BP dude) I figure if it helps to obtain some of the other benefits, I am okay with it if I need it to help get me by. The BP dude gives a few more reasons also. He feels that the MCT oil (I use CO) it increases ketone production and increases metabolism by 12%. (I am just the messenger. He may have studies and more info listed on his site here.) He also talks about tripling down on mTOR but he does say that plain coffee would do the trick also.
          Right. One can buy MCT oil online, there are a few reputable, clean ones out there. But I'm quite content with sucking down massive amounts of EVCO & Kerrygold butter that I buy locally from stores with high turnover.
          "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
          "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
          "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

Why? I never will understanding fasting, but for religious purposes I totally get, then it means something. But to fast just fast is not only a waste of time, but has no benefits. The body is not meant to fast. But carry on, indulge then fast, indulge then fast.... sounds healthy.
            Last edited by Barefoot Gentile; 09-01-2012, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Barefoot Gentile View Post
              Why? I never will understanding fasting, but for religious purposes I totally get, then it means something. But to fast just fast is not only a waste of time, but has no benefits. The body is not meant to fast. But carry on, indulge then fast, indulge then fast.... sounds healthy.
              There seems to be a lot you don't understand~ maybe because you've never tried? JMO~ but you shouldn't make judgements on things you don't understand. Just makes you look foolish.

Comment

Originally posted by Nady View Post
                There seems to be a lot you don't understand~ maybe because you've never tried? JMO~ but you shouldn't make judgements on things you don't understand. Just makes you look foolish.
                Nady and anyone else,

Don't take the bait. He's a boring troll, don't feed him & hopefully he'll go away.
                "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
                "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
                "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Barefoot Gentile View Post
                  Fasting has no benefits?! The body is not meant to fast? Please provide your references. Or maybe you mean that your body is not meant to fast.

Nobody here said we're not doing it for religious purposes. Maybe I am. Perhaps I've realized some spiritual benefit that I didn't care to discuss in the challenge. Maybe others here who've fasted have realized the same. Your defining the indulge/fast ratio, is relative and speculative. Maybe your judgmental attitude is offensive. Maybe it's not. Perhaps nobody cares. Did you say something?

Comment

Perhaps nobody cares. Did you say something?

Comment

Count me in. I've been IFing every day with one big meal for a while now and I'm loving it. I can definitely say I could live like this. My daily fast is anywhere from 16-24 hours depending on how busy I am. IF is so freeing, not having to worry about what to eat and when. Plus, you have the freedom to indulge every now and then without any fat gain. I have never performed a multi-day fast and I would love to take on the challenge! Though, in the beginning I may use a little MCT oil just to get things rolling lol

Comment

Originally posted by Betorq View Post
                        Nady and anyone else,

Don't take the bait. He's a boring troll, don't feed him & hopefully he'll go away.
                        Betorq - I responded before I saw your post. Has he been here before - this barefoot genital?

Comment

Cheffy - welcome aboard! I don't care how you do it, or how anybody defines their fast. MCT, Castrol GTX, Mobil 1 - if those work for your fast then do it. I look forward to hearing everyone's comments and observations through whatever period they go. I'm only doing my fast for religious purposes, as apparently there's no other benefit (J/K).

Comment

Cheffy - welcome aboard! I don't care how you do it, or how anybody defines their fast. MCT, Castrol GTX, Mobil 1 - if those work for your fast then do it. I look forward to hearing everyone's comments and observations through whatever period they go. I'm only doing my fast for religious purposes, as apparently there's no other benefit (J/K).
                            I guess you could say that it was a religious experience when a 10 day water fast miraculously cured my chronic eczema~ yeah, religious

Comment

Sounds a bit flaky, Nady...

Comment

Sounds a bit flaky, Nady...
                                Hey~ I was raised Catholic~ I know a miracle when I have one!

Comment

Working...
                                X