Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paleobird Liver Pate

Hi Paleobird...

Can you post your liver pate recipe here? Didn't know if you'd check the recipe board. Do you just eat it with a spoon? Thank you!
    Last edited by healthy11; 08-30-2012, 07:16 PM.

Haha... just looked on the recipe board and see there is a thread with your chicken liver pate, but I am interested in the on with just cream and butter and how you make it.

Comment

Hi there. Good way to get my attention. I don't always check the recipe section

My pate recipe has evolved and every time I change it it gets a little simpler and a lot better.

2 lbs sliced liver (any critter, lamb and calf are my favorites)
      cook in a stick of butter
      season while cooking any way you like (I like Italian herbs, garlic and s&p)
      put whole mess in blender (or use a hand blender)
      add 1 cup heavy cream (raw is best if available)
      blend the living daylights out of it until smooth
      pour into tupper cups and fridge.

If you want to freeze some for later, drizzle some coconut oil or other fat on top to seal out the air first.

Other things can be added in the mixer for flavoring such as onions, tomatoes, capers, olives, bell peppers, sherry. But I kind of just like the creamy flavor all by itself.

Can be served in celery sticks or as the filling between two slices of cucumber. Or, the ultimate pate delivery device, a spoon.
      Pate is a great way to get those who are a little reluctant about liver to come over to the offal side.

Enjoy!

Comment

Thank you, Paleobird! Can't wait to make this! I just want the creamy flavor all by itself, too!

Comment

Great, this sounds far easier than the recipe with the eggs. I have stashed away a few lbs of chicken livers wanting to make a pate myself. I think the time hath come. I guess I will need to buy some cream.

Is a stick of butter 1/4 cup or 1/2 cup of butter? The butter I buy comes in 1 lb 'bricks', no sticks like in the States.
          My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
          When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

A stick is half a cup.

I did the one on the recipe board but I just eyeballed all the ingredients. I think pate is amenable to just winging it.

I cooked chicken livers and mushrooms in a generous amount of leftover fats that I saved from making bone broth. A mixture of bone marrow, beef tongue and pork fat. Added two eggs and cooked everything to just a little under completely done. Put it in the blender with 2T butter. I only wish I had remembered to add salt. Otherwise it's delish! I have been putting it on lettuce with a slice of tomato.

My goal one day is to use pure bone marrow for the fat.
            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Great, thanks! I will try without eggs first.

Marrow is one fat I actually like. I would not mind subbing some of the butter for 'meatier' fat. I have a lot of melted fat from chickens, bacon and the like, all mixed in. Next time we are getting a pig, I am getting the 'bird feeding' fat to melt my own lard. Would be good to try to sub it for cream. Funnily, I love fermented dairy, but always found cream unpleasant.
              My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
              When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

I was using Kerrygold butter. They have one that is garlic and herb infused that is really nice. Those stick are 100grams since they come from the UK.

I wish the US would just give up and go metric. It would make everything easier.

Marrow fat would make awesome pate'. I just don't have enough self control to save it for that purpose. <sluuuurp>

Comment

Oh good Lord, that sounds good! I was a waiter in a French restaurant in Beverly Hills years ago and used to have to sneak the pate. I think I could live on that stuff. Well, that and some good red wine.

Comment

For anyone tracking their calories /macros, The above recipe makes 12 4oz servings.

Per serving the breakdown is this :
                    Calories : 263.2
                    Fat 18.4g
                    Carb 8g
                    Protein 23.4g

Comment

Man, I might just have to make this. I've been wanting to incorporate more offal in my diet for a long time. Thanks for posting!

Comment

I made this tonight and dipped zucchini slices in it. It was so good... I loved it! Thank you, Paleobird!

Comment

Thanks for this recipe, I'm going to try it soon (after I finish my Whole30).
                          How much is a stick of butter in weight please?
                          My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
                          My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
                          Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
                          Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

Comment

When cooking for pate, do you do it well done. Or just under medium like you do for eating straight up ?
                            "Continue being a man and you will be excellent. Pussy will rain from the sky. " - Legbiter
                            Couldn't resist immortalizing this quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy in Wonderland View Post
                              Thanks for this recipe, I'm going to try it soon (after I finish my Whole30).
                              How much is a stick of butter in weight please?
                              I was using Kerrygold garlic herb butter which is 100grams/stick since it comes from the UK, but it doesn't have to be a precise measurement. When in doubt, add more.

Originally posted by Picaro View Post
                              When cooking for pate, do you do it well done. Or just under medium like you do for eating straight up ?
                              I like mine so it is no longer bleeding if you stick a knife in it. I don't think it would hurt to have it a little more rare. I don't like eating just a slab of liver rare either so this is just a personal preference thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X