Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The lower carb I eat the more weight I gain???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The lower carb I eat the more weight I gain???

I have a serious problem that I desperately need help with. I originally had 30 pounds to lose and was able to pull off 10 with the primal/paleo plan. Now I am stuck. From everything I read I am told to go into deep ketosis. I have tried several times at lowering my carb level down to 20 grams per day. Why of why does the scale go up every time I do this?? Does my body think it's in starvation mode???

Has anyone gone through the same experiences. I need a little help pulling off the last 20 pounds.

Thanks guys!!!!

How long have you been living primal? What are your stats (height, weight, etc.)?
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Comment

Hey. I have been living primal since December 2011. I am 5'1 and currently weigh 143 pounds. I am still considered overweight and need to get down to at least the 120 range. I have been walking for exercise. Wondering if I need to bump it up, eat less, increase carbs, decrease carbs.
      I am very insulin resistant and have huge amounts of problems even losing weight.

Thanks for helping!!!

Comment

Kiwi I am 5'4 and although I did lose most of my weight with some regain after I started having higher blood sugar issues (insulin resistance) my weight started increasing no matter what I did until I started eating less overall and splitting it into 3 small meals (different from my dinner only regime). Now my sugars are stabilizing and the weight is coming off and I seem stable finally.

Breakfast 7:30-8-boiled egg and coffee followed by 1-1.5 hr walk.
        lunch 12:30-1 -salad with living lettuce, radish, cuke,baby carrots, grape tomato, peppercini, and 1 fried egg(fried in a healthy fat-no other dressing)10 grapes or 1/3 C berries after
        afternoon walking or boogie boarding, hiking etc 1-2 hours
        Dinner 4:30-5ish:50-60 gr protein, cooked veggies (1/2-1 C) grassfed butter, avocado (1/4)

That seems like so little food but I had an epiphany a while back that for me n=1 to be smaller I must learn to eat smaller. At first I was hungry all the time now I am never hungry except right before meal time!

Comment

Just reading around and I'm starting to think that the weight plateau is part of the (healing?) process, your example is typical of what I've read. It seems to be a clearly defined position physiologically, where weight just falls off, to a point, then it just won't budge, seems the theory is body going into starvation mode and reducing resting metabolism rate, it doesn't matter if you do it by calorie restriction or by calorie expenditure, your body just becomes more efficient & protective of that final bit of fat.
          Your body may have other processes & repairs that are required before it is prepared to shed any further weight or maybe some insulin sensitivity improvements may be required.

You said 30 to lose at start of year, lost 10 on primal, 20 to go. Did you lose significant weight before the primal experience, how long?, how much? have you been overweight prior to this, you may be chasing too much too fast.
          I'm sure others will have a few different suggestions through their own experiences.
          Last edited by Omni; 08-30-2012, 02:14 PM.
          "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Comment

Originally posted by Omni View Post
            Just reading around and I'm starting to think that the weight plateau is part of the (healing?) process, your example is typical of what I've read. It seems to be a clearly defined position physiologically, where weight just falls off, to a point, then it just won't budge, seems the theory is body going into starvation mode and reducing resting metabolism rate, it doesn't matter if you do it by calorie restriction or by calorie expenditure, your body just becomes more efficient & protective of that final bit of fat.
            Your body may have other processes & repairs that are required before it is prepared to shed any further weight or maybe some insulin sensitivity improvements may be required.

You said 30 to lose at start of year, lost 10 on primal, 20 to go. Did you lose significant weight before the primal experience, how long?, how much? have you been overweight prior to this, you may be chasing too much too fast.
            I'm sure others will have a few different suggestions through their own experiences.

Thank you so much!!!! Its kind of annoying that its taking this long to get the weight off!!! Yes I have always struggled with getting weight off. The only way I can get any weight to move is if I get into calorie restriction. Unfortunately that is maybe what I will have to do!!!
            I appreciate everyone's help so very much!!

Comment

You didn't say how many calories you eat in a day.

Reducing carbs is great but that has to be done in the overall context of calories. If you are still eating too much food, you won't lose weight regardless of perfect macro ratios.

Also eating too much protein can prohibit you from getting into ketosis.

Comment

Kiwigal, Its great to hear from other Kiwis out there. We could just about start a primal all black team. I too am suffering greatly with the plateau thing. I find if I have a wine (sugar,sugar,sugar), the scale moves up rather than down the next morning.
                I am in the process of IF, and calorie reduction. So am hoping that this might propell me forward again. I still have 19kg to lose..... so a bit of a journey still !

Good luck with your quest
                "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

Originally posted by Omni View Post
                  Just reading around and I'm starting to think that the weight plateau is part of the (healing?) process.
                  I hadn't read anything scientific, but this is what I have been thinking, when I think about it, which is only when I am stuck. It just needs to settle in, then it is ready to proceed. I don't know, but it sounds good

OP, there is a thread that might be helpful. Not sure what it is called, but something like "MOAR Fat" which might help you figure some things out. Like maybe your carbs are low enough but maybe your other macros are off, such as protein too high or fat too Low. And then there is still the whole CICO debate and I am still not sure which side of the fence I am on, but I do track it all and try to stay under X amount. Just don't want to take any chances
                  65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

Paleobird is absolutely right, you must count your calories. Calories controll weight loss, if you arn't losing you are simply eating too many calories
                    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
                    Before and after pics
                    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
                    Primal Sucess Story
                    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
                    Primal Journal
                    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Comment

Right it's CICO and low carbohydrate to support that effort if you need it. Not everybody needs the low carb thing to do CICO but some can't do it without it.

There's another theory out there that you need to eat more calories to lose weight. I read it here You're Not Eating Enough Calories to Lose Weight I think this theory is targeted to those women who eat so few calories it's a wonder they're still alive. He tells one woman:

"You need more calories to lose weight. I’m surprised you aren’t worn down. I would start eating 2000 calories, and if your weight still does not go down, increase it another 500. Keep doing this until you either start losing weight or you start gaining it CONSISTENTLY (ie over the course of at least 2 weeks). "
                      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by BennettC View Post
                        Paleobird is absolutely right, you must count your calories. Calories controll weight loss, if you arn't losing you are simply eating too many calories
                        Thanks I think you are all right. I"m not counting calories!!! Sigh tommorow I start LOL

Comment

Originally posted by gopintos View Post
                          I hadn't read anything scientific, but this is what I have been thinking, when I think about it, which is only when I am stuck. It just needs to settle in, then it is ready to proceed. I don't know, but it sounds good
                          I myself have come to the opinion that if you are overweight, and you begin eating healthy (read primal), the body will lose weight quickly. But at some point, the body learns to self-regulate itself MUCH better than it could when you were overweight and eating a crap diet.

The result of this is, your body should know when it has reached a decent weight and will seek to maintain that weight. At this point, you won't really lose any more weight without severe calorie restriction (and/or massive overexercising, which I would NEVER recommend). The only option left to you at this point is to change your body composition. You can gain muscle and lose fat, or gain fat and lose muscle (obviously the first is the better option), but regardless of what happens, as long as you eat healthily and in reasonable amounts, your body will stay within a certain weight range of maybe 5-10 pounds that is has determined is an appropriate level for itself.

There may be a reason for you to continue losing past this point, but if you find that to be the case, then you'll have to put in a lot of work with your macro levels, your overall calorie intake, and the amount of exercise you are getting.
                          "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

How long do you do the VLC/ketosis thing for before you give up? I'm wondering if you just persisted a little longer you'd get over the hump, so to speak, and start losing again. (As in, if you do it for a week, and gain a little weight, do you panic and then stop? Or have you done it for a more consistent length of time?).

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Fireling View Post
                              How long do you do the VLC/ketosis thing for before you give up? I'm wondering if you just persisted a little longer you'd get over the hump, so to speak, and start losing again. (As in, if you do it for a week, and gain a little weight, do you panic and then stop? Or have you done it for a more consistent length of time?).
                              Less than a week. A few days at most. I hate seeing the scale go up. As soon as I start eating nuts and fruit again the scale goes back to what it was. Thinking I may have to start counting calories.

Comment

Working...
                              X