Biggest bang for the buck

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ciavyn View Post
    Farmer's market: check out who is there, and ask around for referrals. That is how I found out about the little farms near me that do 80/20 or 70/30 grass/grain ratios. Not all grass-fed, but certainly better than the crap in the grocery store, when they butcher two animals each week. You know where your meat comes from, and it tastes amazing. And it is CHEAP. 3.15/lb for ground meat. You can't get much better unless you buy club packs. BUT when I was single and didn't have access to these farms, I bought the best I could afford. Some weeks, it was organic. Other weeks, it was club packs. Do the best you can. But definitely prioritize meat over organic veggies. I'd buy -- still do -- frozen veggies that cost a buck a bag, and get creative with them. Cheap salad. Few fruits, unless they were in season. Raw nuts are cheap enough for a snack, and you can get creative with them. I kept it really cheap. You do what you can with what you have. Lots of great ideas on the forum for cheap meals, too.
    Wow! $3.15/lb is amazing! That's about as cheap as CAFO from Walmart. I haven't contacted all of the Farmers in the area (adds to the to-do list).

Comment

Yep. I used eatwild.org, but it doesn't list everything nearby. Sustainabletable.org might have a few listed in your area. I had much better luck going to farmer's markets and asking around. I moved to this area a few months ago, and I am spoiled with all the fresh foods available. I hardly know how to act. I feel your pain -- you do what you can. Work towards best with better, and let the rest go.
      The Sedition of Sisyphus: Go Find Another Rock

Griff's Cholesterol Primer

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
        But what is the difference to you whether the meat comes off the ribs or buttocks or off the legs, throat, face or tail? Meat's just meat. I can see maybe being afraid of the guts, but meat is just meat even when it once was used to chew some cud or swat some flies. What do you think they put in all that ground beef anyway, rib-eye? No, they put in the cheeks and tails and whatnot and then they charge you like it used to be chuck roast.
        I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying it may be hard to convince the rest of the family. Kind of an out of sight, out of mind thing.

Comment

i've been bringing beef heart as lunch to work most days this week or so. people peer in my container and ask what it is, i just say "beef." it's all cut up in tiny pieces, over veggies. this avoids other people's squick factor. i just don't feel like having the conversation with somebody who is eating a special k bar, ya know?

sb, i think you're forgetting, or don't realize, how far removed most americans from any kind of realization about their food sources and that their stryo-packed, shrink-wrapped meat comes from a WHOLE living animal.
          As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Thanks for the great comments. I think we're on the right track to eating healthy and we do focus on buying good eggs since the mainstream grass-fed meat cuts are quite expensive.

I don't have a problem with the offal, but I will work on convincing the others.

Comment

Originally posted by SCruz Carter View Post
              Buying and cooking in bulk helps too. I live alone and will make a HUGE pot of spagetti sauce and put it in tupperware or zip locks when its cool. I then can use this as a base for a lot of things and even with meat comes out to a buck or 2 per meal. Good eggs should be a priority since they can be eaten all the time, are protein rich and the commercially produced stuff scares me with all the GMO grains they are being fed and the breeding ground for diseases their living conditions are.

Even in the midwest there will be an ethnic market around, it may look dingy from the outside, but the meat and produce will be cheap on the inside. Ask the local taco truck where they get their meat.
              Yeah, I'm talking small town. We don't have taco trucks and our Mexican restaurant buys their stuff at Walmart. My best luck buying offal would be from a farmer.

Comment

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
                i've been bringing beef heart as lunch to work most days this week or so. people peer in my container and ask what it is, i just say "beef." it's all cut up in tiny pieces, over veggies. this avoids other people's squick factor. i just don't feel like having the conversation with somebody who is eating a special k bar, ya know?

sb, i think you're forgetting, or don't realize, how far removed most americans from any kind of realization about their food sources and that their stryo-packed, shrink-wrapped meat comes from a WHOLE living animal.
                Yeah, I guess. But the tails and toes I bought also came shrink-wrapped on styrofoam. I guess I'm just a little bit more willing to try new things. And also it makes me very happy to have that extra cash in my pocket.
                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

protein and fat is the key to this diet. you do not need vegetables to survive or to be healthy. there is a lot of confusion on here about people making this a plant based diet. the true paleo diet was heavily meat based and in some cases it was 100% meat. check out my post here
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65123-4.html
                  Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
                  Before and after pics
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
                  Primal Sucess Story
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
                  Primal Journal
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Comment

Funny story: I was shopping with my kids and they were all excited that there were pigs heads in the offal section. "can we get one? yay!". An elderly asian woman next to me (who I noticed was buying pigs trotters) asked me "I thought that only vietnamese people eat pigs heads? How do you eat it?". I said we roasted it (as a brawn), and then asked her how she cooked it. Her reply: "I'm not vietnamese". Burn.
                    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                    bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Interesting, how long do you roast if for and at what temp? I am a pork fanatic but have never had the delicacy of the head.
                      Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
                      Before and after pics
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
                      Primal Sucess Story
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
                      Primal Journal
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Comment

Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
                        Funny story: I was shopping with my kids and they were all excited that there were pigs heads in the offal section. "can we get one? yay!". An elderly asian woman next to me (who I noticed was buying pigs trotters) asked me "I thought that only vietnamese people eat pigs heads? How do you eat it?". I said we roasted it (as a brawn), and then asked her how she cooked it. Her reply: "I'm not vietnamese". Burn.
                        I don't care who you are, that's funny!

Comment

Originally posted by BOMO View Post
                          Wow! $3.15/lb is amazing! That's about as cheap as CAFO from Walmart. I haven't contacted all of the Farmers in the area (adds to the to-do list).
                          Ya I this is something I learned on the forum, I was struglling with the amount it costs for organic meats etc, found a farmer in my area and it actually works out to 4.50/lb for like amazing quality meats. It is the way to go for sure.

Comment

Working...
                          X