No announcement yet.

Is sugar really that bad for you?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, and the other thing is give William Dufty a hearing.

It's cheap enough second-hand:

Amazon.co.uk: Used and New: Sugar Blues

Comment

Originally posted by Dirlot View Post
      Did you check out any of the links I posted? If not you should see Sugar the Bitter Truth.
      Yes i have seen sugar the bitter truth, it is all about fructose and it's effect on health, not sucrose unfortunately.

Comment

All good points Lewis i'll make sure to Check all those out. On the point of the sugar in the bloodstream, that would only be a problem if you consumed sugar on it's own, as it would eating any carbohydrate on its own. If eaten with fat, protein or fiber the digestion would be greatly slowed. Thanks for the other info though.
        Last edited by Lukey; 08-30-2012, 01:42 PM.

Comment

A little bit of sugar (plain old white sugar) isn't a huge problem. A teaspoon in your coffee. A nice dessert every now and then. It's when it becomes too big a part of your nutrition that it becomes a problem. People giving babies fruit juice, children drinking sweetened drinks, all the sweeteners hidden and not so hidden in almost every processed food. Some people lose their tolerance for sugar entirely living in such an overly sugared environment and must not even consume diet sweeteners. It's all a matter of degree.
          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Lukey View Post
            All good points Lewis i'll make sure to Check all those out. On the point of the sugar in the bloodstream, that would onlu be a problem if you consumed sugar on it's own, as it would eating any carbohydrate on its own. If eaten with fat, protein or fiber the digestion would be greatly slowed. Thanks for the other info though.
            Yes, I guess so. Whether that outweighs the problems though ...

The other thing that occurs to me is that I don't think that sucrose is particularly common in nature. The sugar in most fruit will be either fructose or glucose; honey is mostly fructose and glucose. Sucrose is not just glucose and fructose, but glucose and fructose stuck together. You get small amounts of sucrose in fresh fruit; it's not a major constituent.

Some people seem to have great difficulty coping with disaccharides. That's perhaps more of a problem for contemporary people with disrupted gut-flora (c.f. antibiotics, chlorinated water, etc.). The success of the SCD and GAPS diets seems to confirm that:

Dr Campbell-McBride GAPS

On its own maybe it might not mean a lot, but add that experience to everything else in the thread and the evidence on one side of the scale gets that much heavier.

You know ... at the end of the day do as you wish, but there honestly is some solid stuff pointing towards avoiding sugar.

Comment

Yes i have seen sugar the bitter truth, it is all about fructose and it's effect on health, not sucrose unfortunately.
              Except that that's the point?

Sugar is just glucose and fructose, so the adverse effects of consuming sugar come down to the adverse effects of consuming glucose and fructose. I personally think that there's no problem consuming the glucose in sugar in moderate amounts. Fructose is the real problem. And even then, your liver is fine with processing small amounts. Just don't tax your liver too much.

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
              A little bit of sugar (plain old white sugar) isn't a huge problem. A teaspoon in your coffee. A nice dessert every now and then. It's when it becomes too big a part of your nutrition that it becomes a problem. People giving babies fruit juice, children drinking sweetened drinks, all the sweeteners hidden and not so hidden in almost every processed food. Some people lose their tolerance for sugar entirely living in such an overly sugared environment and must not even consume diet sweeteners. It's all a matter of degree.
              Yeah. Drinking calories and eating things which are basically pure sugar is where your can overconsume and overwork your liver.
              Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
              5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
              Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
              TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
              bloodorchid is always right

Comment

All good points Lewis i'll make sure to Check all those out. On the point of the sugar in the bloodstream, that would only be a problem if you consumed sugar on it's own, as it would eating any carbohydrate on its own. If eaten with fat, protein or fiber the digestion would be greatly slowed. Thanks for the other info though.
                The main issue is quantity, our bodies were not adapted to have a continuous dominant stream of sugar going down our throats.
                The first condition is most likely the change in gut flora, Candida being the most obvious sugar demon, they say when you get sugar cravings it's your candida talking to you.
                I didn't see it mentioned yet, T2DM, you don't have to be all that fat to get diabetes, just burn out your pancreas through sugar overload.
                Liver overload - all excess sugar must be processed through the liver whereas fats are absorbed directly into the blood for use or storage.
                So basically you don't need any more sugar than can satisfy immediate blood requirements or to replenish the glycogen stores during the digestive period, any more than that is just excess workload for your body.
                "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Comment

Are you kidding? I don't want to consume sugar, if you actually bothered to read my first post i said i never eat sucrose? And sugar doesn't spike insulin any more than most other carbohydrates do, it has a gi of 64. I have been following marks daily apple for over a year so please have the decency to read my posts and not call me a troll.
                  Some added sugar in your coffee or sprinkled on your fruit is harmless. You would have to be some kind orthorexic to be concerned about 20 or so empty calories.

Comment

Originally posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
                    Some added sugar in your coffee or sprinkled on your fruit is harmless. You would have to be some kind orthorexic to be concerned about 20 or so empty calories.
                    +1 to that.
                    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                    PS
                    Don't forget to play!

Comment

Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
                      Except that that's the point?

Sugar is just glucose and fructose, so the adverse effects of consuming sugar come down to the adverse effects of consuming glucose and fructose. I personally think that there's no problem consuming the glucose in sugar in moderate amounts. Fructose is the real problem. And even then, your liver is fine with processing small amounts. Just don't tax your liver too much.

Yeah. Drinking calories and eating things which are basically pure sugar is where your can overconsume and overwork your liver.
                      Thank you for that saves me from stating the obvious.
                      Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                      PS
                      Don't forget to play!

Comment

Sugar isn't bad, it's just not particularly good either.

You don't get any nutrients along with all those carbs. That's why if you want to consume carbs (nothing wrong with that), I'd suggest squash, sweet potatoes, carrots, berries, things richer in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals.
                        "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

I cannot even believe we are having this conversation at Mark's site. Seriously.
                          Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
                          READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Comment

Originally posted by Moochy View Post
                            I cannot even believe we are having this conversation at Mark's site. Seriously.
                            True story: It was company wide 'scone day' at morning tea today, so I went and helped myself to a plate of whipped cream topped with a little bit of raspberry jam (aka a scone-less scone). And was promptly engaged in a diet conversation with two women who had been hearing about the 'low carb' thing, since apparently they were both about to embark on a journey of discovery in that area. I let them know that kumara (sweet potato) was 'ok', which was a big relief to them. Probably makes the diet more achievable for them too.
                            Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                            5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                            Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                            TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                            bloodorchid is always right

Comment

It seems we all agree the unhealthy aspect of sugar is the fructose then. Its really strange fruit has an exalted status in the health community compared to sugar.

Comment

Originally posted by Moochy View Post
                                Why is it so hard to believe people are discussing a health issue on the nutrition section of the forum?

Comment

Working...
                                X