sashimi

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sashimi

i'm digging my way thru 12oz of sashimi with a squeeze of lemon & a splash of gin... still was missing the wasabi & soy so I mixed up a bit of wasabi powder & soy sauce to dip in.

is soy sauce terrible?

Try to get Tamari, it's gluten-free soy sauce.

Comment

soy sauce is not terrible because it's made from fermented soy, however, majority of all soy sauces on the market contain either wheat or corn syrop. WEIRD.

Comment

bleh, so the ounce or so of soy sauce i'll consume isn't completely horrible, but not great.. that sucks... i'll eat the rest of it without..

Comment

Maba,

Thanks for the tip on Tamari! I have been using soy sauce for marinades and whatnot but Tamari sounds like a great alternative.

Comment

Soy sauce protip:

There are two major production methods for soy sauce.

1) good old-fashioned fermentation, breaking down a lot of the bad stuff and making it easier to digest

2) industrial hydrolysis of soy protein, creating a host of excitotoxins and carcinogens

If your soy sauce (or anything you eat, for that matter) has hydrolyzed anything as one of its ingredients, consider looking for a new brand.

Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

Comment

I'm fast becoming a big fan of your posts, Molecular Grokologist. You seem to draw from a deep pool of knowledge and scientific facts, eschewing the hype around many topics.

Thanks for being clear-headed and above it all.

Tamari with no hydrolyzed ingredients it is!

Comment

@FF: +1

Comment

@FF: +2!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X