Diabetics Blood Sugar Solution

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lily Marie View Post
    You need to start measuring out your food and recording your macros (carbs, protein, fat) - just to see where you're at. After knowing about how much you're usually taking in, you need to start playing with amounts. It's possible you're eating way too much protein.

Exercise and weight lifting will get you nowhere as a diabetic unless you fix your intake.

I have just realized this also in the last month. As a diabetic go easy on the protein, the body can use only so much and then the rest spikes your blood sugar. Read this in a few places and they made sense. We diabetics are messed up.

http://lowcarb4u.blogspot.com/2009/0...ein-raise.html

I read in a few places also that for some diabetics when we very low carb, the liver thinks that it needs to turn up it's abilities to produce sugars and raises our blood sugars. That's what they refer to as the dawn phenomenon. Metformin is usually used to correct that.
    Last edited by Moochy; 08-29-2012, 09:37 AM.
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Comment

Originally posted by Moochy View Post
      Tor, have you implemented some form of HIT sprinting? I too have type II and have done a lot of reading. More than one author has stated that some folks to get their insulin sensitivity back need to do HIT and heavy lifting in addition to losing the pounds. I do this on a recumbent cycle and love it, don't pull hammies or injure myself as other form s of HIT can do.
      Moochy, thanks for that link. How many days a week are you doing those sprints on the bike etc?

Comment

Originally posted by joe2.0 View Post
        Moochy, thanks for that link. How many days a week are you doing those sprints on the bike etc?
        Twice a week with a third day (Sunday) of 30 minutes of just riding, not sprinting.

This is my current workout.
        Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
        READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Comment

First off I am happy for you that things are looking better!
          I found this thread interesting because of a personal issue with this..
          I started having head-aches a while back and suspected my blood sugars so I began tracking and was alarmed to find my morning 'fasting' BS well over 130 (Higher than normal) and couldn't seem to get them to go lower than 110 no matter what I did. For example before a meal 110, 2 hours later 140, 3 hours later 136, 5 hours later 120~ I was getting a little panicky as I had gained inches in my stomach and could not lose a single inch even when I fasted. I remembered a time when I was around the age of 41 and was at one of the healthiest stages ever in my life. I decided to recreate that time as far as exercise and diet. I have only been doing it for 10 days and these are my current readings~

Before bed 82
          Am Fasting 101
          2 hours post meal 85
          -3 inches from stomach(whew)

Not perfect yet But I am optimistic

Simple day is this:
          Rise at 7, quick cup of coffee, walk for 1-1.5 hour~ I have to do it early for it to work for me, when I was exercising in the latter day I couldn't get the BS down (?)~ Lift heavy every other day~boogie board, bike ride or more walking alternate days.
          Breakfast~Free range boiled eggs, coffee
          Lunch~Salad with low GI vegetables and fried egg on top, sm amount of avocado(same every day)
          Dinner~3-5 oz grass-fed beef or lamb or wild seafood,2 different low-GI cooked vegetables, small amount grass-fed butter

I am seriously working on the premise of "If I want to be smaller, I must eat smaller" and having diabetes is seriously one of my worst fears! I am willing to do anything to prevent it. Even though my feet are killing me from all the walking(ice-bags right now!) and I go to bed hungry most nights!

Here's crossed fingers for us Both and anyone else with this issue!

PS~I did find that less protein seemed to make a difference. I was eating meat at lunch and dinner and also eating dairy. I eliminated all but grass-fed butter (small amounts) and a little cream occasionally and meat only at dinner. I also found that if'ing caused my BS to be all over the board. Just my own personal experience. I actually hate breakfast which is why it is only boiled eggs and coffee. Thats my compromise

Comment

Thanks for the imput, glad to see your BS is down. Lower protien seems to be the theme from everyone. BTW so it is for Dr. Hyman's book, he recommends that most of your calories come from leafy green veggies. I might have to track protiens for a couple of days to see how much I am eating. Anyone know how to calculate how much you should be eating?

I had been doing the Leangains IF'ing for the last 12 weeks and it seems now, that is when my BS started to climb again. I am eating breakfast again and I am seeing the sugars go the other direction.
            I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
            My Journal

Comment

I have seen just the opposite using leangains approach, within 3 months my fasting BS went down into the high 90's. I think you are onto something with the amount of time as a type II. As I was a type II for less than a year before starting primal. My morning BS are now between 79-85.

Comment

Originally posted by TorMag View Post
                Thanks for the imput, glad to see your BS is down. Lower protien seems to be the theme from everyone. BTW so it is for Dr. Hyman's book, he recommends that most of your calories come from leafy green veggies. I might have to track protiens for a couple of days to see how much I am eating. Anyone know how to calculate how much you should be eating?

I had been doing the Leangains IF'ing for the last 12 weeks and it seems now, that is when my BS started to climb again. I am eating breakfast again and I am seeing the sugars go the other direction.
                Me too!!!

I remember at first I was trying to get 100 grams of protein a day per the .7-1 gram for lean pounds recommended. Now I am averaging 50 plus but it is working for me. I think my ratios are 40-40-20 fats,proteins,carbs for the most part.

Your a guy so your protein needs will be higher than mine but maybe shoot for the lower end at .7 ?? Just a thought, you can add some back later and see how you do. Thats my plan anyway Best of luck!!

Comment

That's around 171 grams of protein a day for me.

My Journal
                  My Journal

Comment

Originally posted by TorMag View Post
                    That's around 171 grams of protein a day for me.
                    Oh! Wow, thats at .7 per pound of lean mass? dang thats high~ tappin out cause I got nothingdunno.gif

When you do get all the particulars figured out will you please let us know tho?? I would really be curious how this plays out for you.. And thanks again for bringing this up!!

Comment

Too much protein is different for everyone.

My number is 90g. I do great with that- but I have to eat under 30g of carbs. I can eat as much fat as I want.
                      I'm a 28 year old sedatary female who's paraplegic. I don't get hardly any exercise. 30 minutes of going up and down the wheelchair ramps at my house. Lifting 10lb dumbbells for about 20 minutes 3x a week.

I found my protein number by using one of those online lean body mass calculators. I then took the advice of .5g - 1g of protein per pound of lean mass. I did have to play with it just a little to find the right amount. The calculator came out to 67.5g(too low!) and 135g(too high!) so, I knocked it back to 100, then 90, which ended up being good - that's .66g of protein per pound.

If your blood sugar numbers are better after the first day of restricted protein, keep going with it. They will not be perfect after 1 day of eating, but they should be steadily going down every day, not climbing.

Checking your numbers pre meal and 1, 2 & 3 hours after eating will tell you if your body is handling the load.
                      Last edited by Lily Marie; 08-29-2012, 04:13 PM.

Comment

I started a new thread w/ this before I saw your thread: Hoping to get some ideas. Since going low carb/high fat back in April my blood sugar both fasting and post meal has slowly gone down. It was at the point that there was no difference directly before and one hour after a meal and was below 100. It is now consistently above 100 and raised after a meal (same meals I have had before with no change). i am on metformin and have a goal of getting off of them. My weight loss has also stalled. Ideas, thoughts, please...? I am not on insulin and frustrated that the sugars were going down and then suddenly back up. Particularly because i am eating less carbs than ever, most days under 20 grams. Was this the case w/ you Tor or did they just keep going up?
                        You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
                        height 5'3
                        SW 215 lbs
                        CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
                        LW 172 lbs
                        GW 125ish lbs

Comment

I saw Dr. Hyman's presentation on PBS. He is almost perfectly in line with everything Mark says except for the allowing legumes and even some whole grains and he also is still stuck in "lean protein" land.

The formula I have been following for staying in ketosis and controlling my seizures is this:

Determine your *ideal* weight in kilos, your Hot Stuff in Swimwear (HSIS) weight.
                          HSIS in kilos +/- 10% is your protein range in grams
                          HSIS divided by 2 is max carbs
                          the rest is fat HSIS x 2-3.5 range.

What would those numbers look like for you?

Comment

Thanks for the formula PB

I just calculated that out and it seems quite low in protein for me. Maybe it'll be good for me to use when I want to max out on my carbs(only 30g). I have noticed that I don't do well when I'm hitting the max protein and the max carbs at the same time.

Comment

Thanks people, a lot of good things to think over. Day 4's Morning BS was 191 a slight rise could be because I ate at 10:30 last night.

According to Paleobird’s calculations here it goes…

HSIS
                              240 lbs = 108.9 kg
                              Protein range = 98 – 118 grams
                              Carbs = 54 grams
                              Fats = 216 – 378 range ?

Wow, not sure where I would eat all those fats???????

My Journal
                              My Journal

Comment

I saw Dr. Hyman's presentation on PBS. He is almost perfectly in line with everything Mark says except for the allowing legumes and even some whole grains and he also is still stuck in "lean protein" land.
                                He is in the lean protein land because he is trying to work on the idea of 'diabesity' and looks at the large spectrum of studies, and a lot of studies point to the fatty meat consumption leading to the increased weight. Which is perfectly true is you eat processed fatty meats or OD it on a steak.

His use of legumes is also understandable because, again, because of the link between satiety and the rare combination of protein and fibre in the legumes. Not all people process legumes the same way, but I know that for myself, legumes are au par with salmon for satiation. I think that soaked legumes will be a good winter food, just like tubers when swapped for berry consumption in the summer.

I am sorry if it sounds like a heresy, but I think it is a mistake to exclude legumes while embracing nuts. Imo legumes have 2 advantages over nuts: satiation and non-addictive nature of food.

Anyway, my 2 cents, off the soap box.

TM, keeping fingers crossed!

I eat coconut oil & creamed coconut (creamed coconut is pretty cheap and clean in the International food isle unlike the coconut oil or coconut manna, which is touted as a health product!)
                                My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                                When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Working...
                                X