Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you get an "EAT EAT EAT" mentality after eating a low-carb dinner?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fcby9 View Post
    I've been trying to eat very low-carb for the past few days because I don't have a massive amount of weight to lose, so I find that weight loss tends to be a bit more stubborn. I'm a female in my teens, about 6'0 tall and around 178 lbs. I'd like to lose about 20 lbs. I have a lean upper body, but my butt and thighs are pretty curvy (I'm a size 10-12).

For breakfast and lunch, I tend to be disciplined and don't crave sweets. But after dinner, regardless of HOW MUCH I eat (e.g. 2 grass-fed beef patties, lots of broccoli and brussel sprouts sauteed in butter), I always CRAVE something sweet. So on top of that pretty substantial dinner, I had a few handfuls of almonds, a few glasses of milk, 1/3 bar of dark chocolate, and a banana. Nothing explicitly UN-paleo (except for the dairy), but it's just SO MUCH FOOD. I just have a crazy desire to eat something on top of a massive dinner, especially something sweet. (And fruit just packs on weight for me!)

It's pretty important for me to remain in ketosis because these 20 lbs will pretty much fight tooth and nail to cling on. Did you experience something similar after eating especially low-carb? How do you combat the desire to eat something else? Is this a sign that I should really just eliminate sugar for good, so I can overcome the addiction?

Thanks so much! It's so valuable to hear the opinions of my fellow Primal veterans.
    I assume by low carb you mean that maybe for the first time in your life you are actually giving your body adequate nutrients, especially adequate ones from animals. Yeah, well, your body just woke up. It went wait, oh, wow, what was that? Gimme more of that!!! Once you've filled up your stores and reassured your metabolism you aren't going to starve it of what it needs anymore, that hunger will calm down.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
      I assume by low carb you mean that maybe for the first time in your life you are actually giving your body adequate nutrients, especially adequate ones from animals. Yeah, well, your body just woke up. It went wait, oh, wow, what was that? Gimme more of that!!! Once you've filled up your stores and reassured your metabolism you aren't going to starve it of what it needs anymore, that hunger will calm down.
      Hmm...it makes a lot of sense when you explain it that way. I think it's just that my body doesn't tolerate sugar well (even in a natural form). I just need to keep feeding it the good stuff, like bacon and eggs scrambled in bacon fat.

Comment

Yes. I used to handle it via a gigantic fruit plate (6- 8 servings of fruit), but now handle it with a long postprandial tea drinking with savory things that can be stretched to eat for an hour or so. I drink 3-5 cups of tea, slowly, and eat a small dish of chilled coconut milk and about an oz of fine-chopped cheese (tiny pieces); sometimes I go for a big bowl of fresh cabbage drizzled with balzamic vinegar & sea salt instead of chips. When I am extra stubborn, I go for 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries, eating each berry for a long, long time....
        My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
        When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by quelsen View Post
          i know this will be ignored.

if you are in your teens. stay primal... your hormones are doing a lot of things to you and for you and you want that to happen as naturally as possible. pushing yourself to meet some goal while so much is out of your control is setting yourself up for failure and disappointment.

When you hit 23 then focus on "correcting" today focus on prevention.

eat well
          eat moderately
          exercise moderately
          get all your vitamins and minerals
          drink your water.

please at least consider this.
          Seconded, lots of growing still taking place

Comment

When I crave something and not sure what exactly, I use my emergency bottle of l-glutamine powder. Chew one teaspoon of the powder (it has a sweet taste), then chase it down with a cup of water and the cravings are usually going away.

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
              Yes. I used to handle it via a gigantic fruit plate (6- 8 servings of fruit), but now handle it with a long postprandial tea drinking with savory things that can be stretched to eat for an hour or so. I drink 3-5 cups of tea, slowly, and eat a small dish of chilled coconut milk and about an oz of fine-chopped cheese (tiny pieces); sometimes I go for a big bowl of fresh cabbage drizzled with balzamic vinegar & sea salt instead of chips. When I am extra stubborn, I go for 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries, eating each berry for a long, long time....
              Leida, I love your slow food approach.

Comment

To the OP: I'm definitely the same way and I'm working on overcoming this as we speak. I found that if I drink water after my dinnertime meal (I only eat two "meals" per day) I digest it slower and don't have as strong of a craving for post-meal snacking. If I don't drink water within 10 minutes of finishing my meal, I start to forage around the kitchen and indulge in crazy uncontrolled snacking! Sure, like you, it's primal foods (usually a few handfuls of coconut chips, a handful of macadamia nuts, and once in a while some dried fruit) but it's too much and my body hates me for it the next day.

Give water a try... or, like someone else suggested, tea. Both work for me.
                >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
                >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
                >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Comment

I would like to add, that I simply count on having my slow snack after dinner, and plan for it. It proved to be easier than trying to eliminate the life-long habit. I try to miss lunch instead on recovery days. My lowest weight in the day is after I come home from work before dinner rather than after I just woke up. Big deal. Overall, the trend is downwards.
                  My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                  When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

What the heck, I'll toss in.

I always want something sweet after a meal, so this is how I handle it most times. Since I'm not allowed much sugar right now anyway (candida), I do not eat breakfast, typically. I have a mid-morning instead of some macadamias, coconut oil bar, bowl of veggies with butter, to break my fast. Then after lunch, I might have some more coconut oil or a couple of nuts. After dinner, depending on what I've eaten, I might want something sweet. Fine -- rather than fight it miserably, I will have frozen berries in coconut milk -- a fast ice cream -- or a coconut oil nut butter cup made with a bit of stevia. Or maybe even a small square of dark chocolate -- the really dark kind. I find giving in a little eliminates me eating a bunch of other things. That's what I do.
                    The Sedition of Sisyphus: Go Find Another Rock

Griff's Cholesterol Primer

Comment

Originally posted by ciavyn View Post
                      What the heck, I'll toss in.

I always want something sweet after a meal, so this is how I handle it most times. Since I'm not allowed much sugar right now anyway (candida), I do not eat breakfast, typically. I have a mid-morning instead of some macadamias, coconut oil bar, bowl of veggies with butter, to break my fast. Then after lunch, I might have some more coconut oil or a couple of nuts. After dinner, depending on what I've eaten, I might want something sweet. Fine -- rather than fight it miserably, I will have frozen berries in coconut milk -- a fast ice cream -- or a coconut oil nut butter cup made with a bit of stevia. Or maybe even a small square of dark chocolate -- the really dark kind. I find giving in a little eliminates me eating a bunch of other things. That's what I do.
                      Frozen berries in coconut milk sound so freaking delicious...

Comment

It is! I learned it from Sarah Fergoso (sp?) as she does it with her kids for a fast dessert. Super yummy.
                        The Sedition of Sisyphus: Go Find Another Rock

Griff's Cholesterol Primer

Comment

It is really freaking delicious. And if you can find coconut cream, it's even better. It's almost the same as coconut milk, but just a little more dessert-like, a little more creamy and with more of a coconut fruitiness to it. It's not sweetened or anything, just ever so slightly different.
                          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

A hardboiled egg with nut butter. Just tried it. Very sumptious.

Comment

Is there any "dessert" or anything remotely sweet that would bring you out of ketosis, though? That's the state I'm trying to remain in, and even blueberries are kind of carby, if you have a cup. And to have anything less than a cup (for me) would be kind of unthinkable. Once I get into them, it's like, "OMG! Sweetness! Eat up, there's a famine in the near future!" Sigh...

Comment

Working...
                              X