No announcement yet.

Whole 30, #3 -- The Goal is to remain in Ketosis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I've been hovering around the same weight for the past few days. Yesterday I realized that I was this weight for a very long time, and so it a set point for me. Am hoping that I can move on past this number soon.

I started a fast yesterday at lunch and will fast until lunch today. And I feel good. I've fasted regularly through my life (for religious reasons) but this is the easiest fast I've ever done! Ketosis is just great!

I read about those blood ketone meters and the only thing keeping me from ordering one is the exorbitant cost of the ketone testing strips. Would love to make sure that I stay in that optimal ketosis zone. I guess I'll just have to wing it. On a side note, I seem to have settled to a 78% fat diet. I don't plan it that way, it's just when I add up the numbers, that's what I get. Hopefully that will be enough to keep me close to the mark.

So my PLL for today is that I definitely need to supplement magnesium & salt. A few times over the past week, things have happened where I've realized I needed salt. (Central Sleep apnea issues flaring up, and then slight headachy/dizzyness stuff.) It's interesting to me that when I'm low on salt, water isn't palatable. Usually I guzzle the stuff down, but when I'm salt deficient, my body say's, "No, not that stuff, I want something else." So I drink a cup of chicken bullion broth and voila, I feel much, much better.

The other thing is that I've been supplementing magnesium for a while now. If not every day, then every other day. I was sick a few weeks ago, major travelors bug, and so I stopped taking magnesium, thinking it could exacerbate the issue because I wouldn't be able to tell if I was taking too much. Anyway, I was really anxious a couple days ago. Wanted to snack, snack, snack. (Ate ketogenic foods, so only my calories were up for the day.) And then realized I was probably magnesium deficient. I restarted supplementing magnesium two days ago, even front loaded a little. And I'm feeling just fine now, (with no adverse effects).

Exercise wise, I've just been walking every day (~2 miles). I've had a difficult time actually doing body weight exercises. Did get in a sprint workout last week.

Comment

• Originally posted by lissee View Post
      So I've been hovering around the same weight for the past few days. Yesterday I realized that I was this weight for a very long time, and so it a set point for me. Am hoping that I can move on past this number soon.

So my PLL for today is that I definitely need to supplement magnesium & salt. A few times over the past week, things have happened where I've realized I needed salt. (Central Sleep apnea issues flaring up, and then slight headachy/dizzyness stuff.) It's interesting to me that when I'm low on salt, water isn't palatable. Usually I guzzle the stuff down, but when I'm salt deficient, my body say's, "No, not that stuff, I want something else." So I drink a cup of chicken bullion broth and voila, I feel much, much better.
      Interesting because I'm thirsty all the time and I've been craving salt. I've even left my office, gone to the kitchen, poured salt into my hand and licked it up. Nasty business but it helps. I was getting a few headaches last week.

Also, I was at my 'set point' of 150 for about 2-3 weeks (frustrating). I brought the 'big guns' out and eliminated alcohol and now the scale is moving in a downward trend again. Happy to report that I hover around 148-149lbs and hoping to get to 145 within a few weeks. As soon as I feel a niggle to snack, I jump into my 'fat' foods. This keeps me in ketosis and keeps the little man loading the coal into the furnace (fat into the fire). Hope to have time tonight to go for a hike. /louisa
      ----------------------------------------
      F, 48, 5'10"
      Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
      Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Comment

• Ha! I've been licking salt for years. lol I used to get sugar headaches (not really anymore since I don't eat sugar...) but I would eat a little bit of salt, and the headache would quickly go away. Nice to know I'm not the only one eating a pinch of salt here or there.

I was happy to read that you were able to move out of your stall. Here's hoping that I don't stay here for another week or two...

Comment

• Have started losing again. Weighed this morning and am at 205. That's 7.5 lbs since September 1. Have been very good this week, my fat percentage averages around 78%. Am feeling very good.

Of note is that my period started late this month. I googled ketogenic diets and saw that some people claimed that this diet would make your cycle stop. I was scared, almost upped my carbs, but didn't. So glad I waited. Things are just fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by lissee View Post
            Have started losing again. Weighed this morning and am at 205. That's 7.5 lbs since September 1. Have been very good this week, my fat percentage averages around 78%. Am feeling very good.

Of note is that my period started late this month. I googled ketogenic diets and saw that some people claimed that this diet would make your cycle stop. I was scared, almost upped my carbs, but didn't. So glad I waited. Things are just fine.
            The only time that would happen is in really low BF people like marathon runners or anorexics. It astounds me the amount of fear mongering nonsense that is written about ketosis. What is it that terrifies people so? It's a perfectly normal state of being.

Comment

• You're right, there is a lot of fear mongering out there. sigh. Thanks for the positive re-enforcement that this way of eating can be good.

Comment

• Originally posted by primal_jessjane View Post
                Louisa, this may be a bit personal but, I've got to ask, what are your BMs like being so low-carb?!?
                FWIW, my experience is that as long as I keep my sodium up and stay hydrated, no problem. Frequency may well decline (since you're not putting loads of fiber in there to provide bulk), but sufficient fat makes for easy passage - as long as you're hydrated (which also goes back to sodium balance - natriuresis). Remember that about 90% of the solid content is bacteria corpsies - they outnumber us .

Comment

• Wanted to say that I woke up feeling incredible this morning. I'm on day 16 of ketogenic eating, and I'm feeling fabulous! I feel strong, I feel buzzed, I haven't even eaten breakfast yet. Good times, good times.

Comment

• Originally posted by Annlee View Post
                    FWIW, my experience is that as long as I keep my sodium up and stay hydrated, no problem. Frequency may well decline (since you're not putting loads of fiber in there to provide bulk), but sufficient fat makes for easy passage - as long as you're hydrated (which also goes back to sodium balance - natriuresis). Remember that about 90% of the solid content is bacteria corpsies - they outnumber us .
                    This has been my experience too.

Comment

• I miss Louisa.

Comment

• Thank you for your response! On your comment about finally maintaining on this diet... I figure the body would find that "new" set point where you just cruise by at a healthy spot. Do you ever think you'll pick up weight lifting?? And don't you miss vegetables? ;-) I looove eating a giant salad. Preferably with peas and cantaloupe. ;-)

My only problem with ketosis is that it doesn't give me enough energy to power through 3-4x/days a week of 45-60mins heavy lifting, plus any fast biking, crazy metcons or sprints I feel like doing. I'm wondering if..... it is possible to actually stay in happy ketosis (it DOES really control my appetite,) and STILL eating a bit of tuber as long as carbs are under 50g, and they are eaten immedietely after training. Thoughts?
                        On a mission to help others master movement, build unbreakable strength, & eat MORE food (can't beat that.) Weekly fitness, health & nutrition articles at indulgentfitness.com.

Comment

• Originally posted by JudyCr View Post
                          I miss Louisa.
                          Me too.

primal_jessjane And don't you miss vegetables? ;-) I looove eating a giant salad. Preferably with peas and cantaloupe. ;-)

My only problem with ketosis is that it doesn't give me enough energy to power through 3-4x/days a week of 45-60mins heavy lifting, plus any fast biking, crazy metcons or sprints I feel like doing. I'm wondering if..... it is possible to actually stay in happy ketosis (it DOES really control my appetite,) and STILL eating a bit of tuber as long as carbs are under 50g, and they are eaten immedietely after training. Thoughts?
                          I've heard there are professional athletes that perform in a fasted state (which is basically like ketosis) and who perform in ketosis. I think it just takes time for the body to adapt, to transition. I don't think you'll notice a difference in energy in two weeks, but more like two months. (Don't quote me on those numbers! I just citing them as an example.)

And I think you can still have your salads, you just have to watch what you put on it. Sugary cantalope will knock you out of ketosis pretty quickly, but some avocado and almonds, a bit or red onion, with some blue cheese? That shouldn't mess with you too much. I'm not sure about the tuber, you'll have to experiment and see what works best for you.

For me, am on day 19 of strict keto eating. I've fallen into a pattern of sorts and this way of eating is working well. Just found out yesterday that the powers that be probably won't let me take the big trip home that I've been planning for months. So sad. Was looking forward to seeing family, and seeing the States for a while. Have been overseas since July 2010...

Comment

• I haven't given up salads and veggies. You just pick and choose which veggies. And, if you are figuring net carbs, salad and other greens are great.

Creamed veggies (kale, spinach) are a good way to get your greenery and some fat too. I don't know why anyone would really need a tuber unless they were lifting very heavy and very often.

Lissee that's a bummer that you don't get to come home right now, but, of all the places in the world I have seen, I wouldn't mind being stuck in Vienna. It's a lovely city. Such a rich historical legacy.

Where is Louisa anyway?

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                              Lissee that's a bummer that you don't get to come home right now, but, of all the places in the world I have seen, I wouldn't mind being stuck in Vienna. It's a lovely city. Such a rich historical legacy.

Where is Louisa anyway?
                              I know it's a total bummer! I was looking forward to doing a little shopping and to see family. Oh well.

But you're right, Vienna is lovely. And Fall is my favorite season, and I was not looking forward to missing Fall in Vienna. It's really very nice here. Street fairs, and fall leaves, and quiet streets, and brisk cool air. It's heaven.

Hoping Louisa is okay. hopefully life just got really busy and she doesn't have time to check in.

Comment

• This is an interesting thread and it's fascinating to follow someone's experiment with breaking a weight loss plateau. Tomorrow marks the two week point since I started tracking calories and macros on "Lose It". I had a feeling I was eating too much protein, but I typically keep carbs adequately low. I am guessing based on calories tracked so far that I used to eat 1800-2100 most days. I have lost at least 40 pounds since starting Primal Blueprint in January. Currently I am averaging a loss of 5 pounds per month and I would love to step up the pace a bit. That's why I decided to experiment with my ratios. Based on this two weeks, I don't see any difference plus I am trying to hold myself to 1500-1900 calories with most days in the 1600-1700 range.

I will say that today, day 13, I am feeling extra sharp and alert and it even seems like my eyesight is clearer. Maybe that's my imagination. I am holding off on lunch since I'm not really hungry yet. Typically I am hungry after 4-5 hours past my last meal. Since going Primal, hunger is never that painful, gnawing feeling. More of an emptiness and mild discomfort.

Comment

Working...
                                X