Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whole 30, #3 -- The Goal is to remain in Ketosis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Congrats Louisa for staying strong re: giving up alcohol for these few weeks! Good luck tomorrow at the brunch!

    So can I join the Tall Drink of Water club? (That's what my grandma used to call tall handsome men, wow, "He's a tall drink of water." I kind of like the saying. lol) I could go for a Xena Princess Warrior club, but only if we remember to keep in the Princess part...

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by lissee View Post
      Congrats Louisa for staying strong re: giving up alcohol for these few weeks! Good luck tomorrow at the brunch!

      So can I join the Tall Drink of Water club? (That's what my grandma used to call tall handsome men, wow, "He's a tall drink of water." I kind of like the saying. lol) I could go for a Xena Princess Warrior club, but only if we remember to keep in the Princess part...
      It was "Warrior Princess" actually, the order being meant to emphasize the "warrior" over the "princess." Now THAT woman lead a primal lifestyle (excepting her poor diet of course).
      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
        It was "Warrior Princess" actually, the order being meant to emphasize the "warrior" over the "princess." Now THAT woman lead a primal lifestyle (excepting her poor diet of course).
        OOooo, yes of course. "Warrior Princess" : )

        And LMAO at the rest.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by lissee View Post
          OOooo, yes of course. "Warrior Princess" : )

          And LMAO at the rest.
          I remember the episode where she hadn't eaten in like three days, so she sat down at a restaurant and ate like three plates of spaghetti (or some other pasta thing), but of course, with her magical "warrior princess" powers, she didn't get the least bit bloated or gain a pound.
          "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by lissee View Post
            Congrats Louisa for staying strong re: giving up alcohol for these few weeks! Good luck tomorrow at the brunch!

            So can I join the Tall Drink of Water club? (That's what my grandma used to call tall handsome men, wow, "He's a tall drink of water." I kind of like the saying. lol) I could go for a Xena Princess Warrior club, but only if we remember to keep in the Princess part...
            Hi, Lissee: Thanks for joining in. I read your footnote: Great weight loss so far and your final goal is very reasonable and do'able -- especially for your age. Whether we are cool glasses of water or Warriors -- it's all good to me: I like the sound of your grandmother! Being tall'ish certainly has its advantages --- we look good wearing a garbage bag with cuts out for our arms -- seriously -- belt it, and pair with heels --- we're ready to go! Let us know how you are progressing with your food plan and exercise and how you're feeling through all of it -- that's what is most important. Here's to my brunch this morning and staying on track./louisa
            ----------------------------------------
            F, 48, 5'10"
            Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
            Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

            Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Louisa655 View Post
              Hi, Lissee: Thanks for joining in. I read your footnote: Great weight loss so far and your final goal is very reasonable and do'able -- especially for your age. Whether we are cool glasses of water or Warriors -- it's all good to me: I like the sound of your grandmother! Being tall'ish certainly has its advantages --- we look good wearing a garbage bag with cuts out for our arms -- seriously -- belt it, and pair with heels --- we're ready to go! Let us know how you are progressing with your food plan and exercise and how you're feeling through all of it -- that's what is most important. Here's to my brunch this morning and staying on track./louisa
              : ) It's true, when you're tall, you can certainly pull off a lot more. I also like how you can see over a crowd, it helps to not feel claustrophobic. lol

              Thanks for the kudos on the weightloss. : ) I've been very pleased that the weight is finally coming off, and staying off. It's a first for me in a very, very long time. And thanks for the validation that my weight goal is doable. I think that in my heart, I'd like to weigh in that range. But you know, that's the brave, hopeful side of me. Before I found MDA, I kind of thought maybe 180 is where I would end up, but now I've kind of caught the vision and see the possibilities. It's exciting.

              Will definitely touch base re: meals and exercise. Thanks for the offer. : )

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by lissee View Post
                : ) It's true, when you're tall, you can certainly pull off a lot more. I also like how you can see over a crowd, it helps to not feel claustrophobic. lol

                Thanks for the kudos on the weightloss. : ) I've been very pleased that the weight is finally coming off, and staying off. It's a first for me in a very, very long time. And thanks for the validation that my weight goal is doable. I think that in my heart, I'd like to weigh in that range. But you know, that's the brave, hopeful side of me. Before I found MDA, I kind of thought maybe 180 is where I would end up, but now I've kind of caught the vision and see the possibilities. It's exciting.

                Will definitely touch base re: meals and exercise. Thanks for the offer. : )
                Hey Lissse, I just wanted to say great work so far and keep it up. I'm the same height as you and started at 210. I now fluctuate between 145 and 150 and have kept it off too. Your goal is spot on and don't you let anyone tell you differently.

                It is easier when you are tall to "carry" some extra weight and wear it well. It's also easy to let those extra ten you are carrying become 20 and then 40 and so on. Extra is still extra no matter what size the frame. The biggest benefit for me has been the fact that my knees don't hurt anymore.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Okay, I haven't been taking any supplements up to this point.
                  I have been having tiny little pinchy muscle cramps on occasion and I thought maybe I needed some potassium, but a friend suggested magnesium and I see, Louisa, you are taking magnesium.
                  So my questions are why are you taking magnesium and does anyone know if it's true that a magnesium supplement will stop the little pinches?
                  Last edited by Nycteris; 09-02-2012, 01:53 PM. Reason: spelling error
                  SW 260 lbs
                  CW 194 lbs as of February 13, 2013
                  GW 150 lbs
                  PB start date: June 16th, 2012

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                    Hey Lissse, I just wanted to say great work so far and keep it up. I'm the same height as you and started at 210. I now fluctuate between 145 and 150 and have kept it off too. Your goal is spot on and don't you let anyone tell you differently.

                    It is easier when you are tall to "carry" some extra weight and wear it well. It's also easy to let those extra ten you are carrying become 20 and then 40 and so on. Extra is still extra no matter what size the frame. The biggest benefit for me has been the fact that my knees don't hurt anymore.
                    Thanks Paleobird! I'm feeling better and better about my goal every day. And it's true that it's very easy to carry extra weight when you're taller. It's one thing I've been thankful for. Of course, then you hit that tipping point and then you're just huge and tall, which is not really a good combination... It's nice to hear that you were also above 200 when you started, and that you were able to successfully whittle it all down.

                    I've been so very grateful to find the paleo/primal way of eating. I never really ate junk food (HFCS gives me headaches) and I just wasn't into the processed crap very much. But looking back, I see that I've been insulin resistant for years (a decade at least) and then I'm gluten & wheat intolerant, and that really messed things up. The pounds just packed on over the years and no matter what I did, they just stuck. So finding this way of eating which makes me happy, is healthy, AND is helping me lose the weight has been such a VERY huge thing for me.

                    So re: ketogenic eating, I've been trying to follow my cravings in kind of an intuitive way of eating. I tracked my calories today and yesterday, and my calories are up and down which is fine, I'm eating when I feel hungry, so I ate 1950 calories yesterday and only 1327 today. But yesterday my macros were 75% fat, 19% protein and 6% carbs and today, 78% fat, 10% protein, and 12% carbs. I have a very subtle craving for the ribeye steak sitting in my fridge, I'll cook it up tomorrow (it's too late to eat it tonight), and today my protein was low so the craving is in line with needing more protein. Also, I had blueberries w/creme fraiche today (was delicious!) and it pushed my carbs higher than I wanted, but the decadent goodness of the combination was worth the extra carbs.

                    Anyway, I was wondering, is eating more than 70% fat okay? I mean today it was almost 80%... I feel good, I feel strong. I do have that craving for a good steak, but that only started at 8:00 pm tonight. Just wondering what you all think.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Nycteris View Post
                      Okay, I haven't been taking any supplements up to this point.
                      I have been having tiny little pinchy muscle cramps on occasion and I thought maybe I needed some potassium, but a friend suggested magnesium and I see, Louisa, you are taking magnesium.
                      So my questions are why are you taking magnesium and does anyone know if it's true that a magnesium supplement will stop the little pinches?
                      I've found that for me when I start to get odd muscle aches/cramps, or my skin prickles, if I take magnesium it goes away. But be aware that too much can make you have loose stools since the magnesium that isn't absorbed into your body then in turn draws water to your colon...

                      Just take it slow at first to find your threshold. If your "pinches" are like the aches or prickles I sometimes get, then yes, it can possibly help.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Hi everybody!
                        I just joined Mark's and I'm really enjoying the conversations here. Can one of you clue me in as to how to measure for ketosis? I know what ketosis is but I think I should be checking for it. I have completely changed my diet since January-no grains, no lectins, no fruit or sugar, grass fed beef, goat cheese or French cheese (cuz its grass fed), some butter (from grass fed cows--Kerrygold)....anyway my weight loss has not been good. So I am looking for ways to keep myself motivated and continuing to change. I think tracking ketosis might be a good thing since my carbs are about 20 or so per day.....Carol

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          I take magnesium every other day or so, and it does take away any muscle cramping.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by lissee View Post
                            Thanks Paleobird! I'm feeling better and better about my goal every day. And it's true that it's very easy to carry extra weight when you're taller. It's one thing I've been thankful for. Of course, then you hit that tipping point and then you're just huge and tall, which is not really a good combination... It's nice to hear that you were also above 200 when you started, and that you were able to successfully whittle it all down.

                            I've been so very grateful to find the paleo/primal way of eating. I never really ate junk food (HFCS gives me headaches) and I just wasn't into the processed crap very much. But looking back, I see that I've been insulin resistant for years (a decade at least) and then I'm gluten & wheat intolerant, and that really messed things up. The pounds just packed on over the years and no matter what I did, they just stuck. So finding this way of eating which makes me happy, is healthy, AND is helping me lose the weight has been such a VERY huge thing for me.

                            So re: ketogenic eating, I've been trying to follow my cravings in kind of an intuitive way of eating. I tracked my calories today and yesterday, and my calories are up and down which is fine, I'm eating when I feel hungry, so I ate 1950 calories yesterday and only 1327 today. But yesterday my macros were 75% fat, 19% protein and 6% carbs and today, 78% fat, 10% protein, and 12% carbs. I have a very subtle craving for the ribeye steak sitting in my fridge, I'll cook it up tomorrow (it's too late to eat it tonight), and today my protein was low so the craving is in line with needing more protein. Also, I had blueberries w/creme fraiche today (was delicious!) and it pushed my carbs higher than I wanted, but the decadent goodness of the combination was worth the extra carbs.

                            Anyway, I was wondering, is eating more than 70% fat okay? I mean today it was almost 80%... I feel good, I feel strong. I do have that craving for a good steak, but that only started at 8:00 pm tonight. Just wondering what you all think.
                            Yep, there was just some kind of a line that was crossed for me mentally when the nurse moved the weight on the bottom bar of the scale over from the 150 spot to the 200 spot. I just said, no, this is not where I am headed. I remember being able to move that weight back to the 150 slot very fondly. When you are tall and heavy people refer to you as "a big girl". God, I hated that.
                            It sounds like your macros are good and your body is signaling you when it needs something clearly. I average out at 70/20/10 but not every day is exactly that. Eat that steak.

                            Regarding muscle cramps. Most cases can be cured simply by drinking some more water and adding a bit more salt to your diet. IF that doesn't fix it THEN maybe play around with some supplements but it is really easy to get the balance of your electrolytes all out of whack. It's not just about grams its about ratios.

                            Primalperson1, you can buy something called Ketostix at any drugstore, usually kept where the diabetic testing supplies are. They are a urine test strip. 20 carb grams per day already is pretty low. Careful not to eat too much protein and you should be there.
                            Last edited by Paleobird; 09-02-2012, 05:36 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Thanks Paleo bird!
                              How much protein should I aim for? I'm between 75 and 120 g's per day now and that seems fine to me. My carbs are between 20 and 50 and I'm OK there, too.

                              I think I'll go get the ketosticks. MY DH has done Atkins on and off for years, so I remember those ketosticks now. My friend is doing the Whole30 and she just started checking daily, so I am on her heels. I've got to get this weight loss going. I have 20 lbs to lose and I want to move it along.....I feel stuck and I don't like it! Thanks for the comments!

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by primalperson1 View Post
                                Thanks Paleo bird!
                                How much protein should I aim for? I'm between 75 and 120 g's per day now and that seems fine to me. My carbs are between 20 and 50 and I'm OK there, too.
                                Sounds like you are good on carbs. That is half the battle. Most people have trouble keeping them that low. Protein requirements are based on your size so I would need to know height, weight, and goal weight. Excess protein can keep you out of ketosis.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X