No announcement yet.

EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OH...Elk is wonderful! I could eat it all day. Have you eaten Moose? Bison is really good too. Thanks for the link. We have deer but I'd be reluctant for the same reasons you are PB.
    A Woman's Place Is In The Revolution.

Comment

• My dog is a really good tracker but I live an awfully long way from any open land with deer,
      there is sometimes the matter that the gas to get it, costs more than buying it. thinking about it too, the venison you get from NZ would be farmed? that is alot milder in flavour than wild venison. it doesnt have that sorta tang that gets described as gamey.

i dont mind guns but it is the person with the gun which is often the issue. i also am very leery of those open hunting blocks where anyone else may also be there with a gun. especially since my dog is the same size as a small fallow deer and a nice golden brown.

Comment

• Originally posted by kimberley View Post
        Thank you! It is so very frustrating to know you are doing everything right but are not seeing results. I actually had a doctor accuse me once of eating more calories than I reported. I DO weigh and measure and count everything I consume and have done so for years! Once upon a time I was a runner--marathon, half-marathons, lots of weekly miles and weight-training, but I certainly never had the "runner's body" that most people assume all runners have. Since hitting menopause 2 years ago, I have had a helluva time controlling my weight in spite of all my efforts. I have so many days when I just want to give up trying, but I won't allow myself to do that.

So thank you for saying I am NORMAL and not damaged, defective, or doing it wrong!
        Doctors are huge idiots when it comes to weight loss and nutrition and they are even bigger idiots when it comes to women at that certain age. Even all the low-carb doctors out there are total idiots about women. We get to figure it all out on our own, unfortunately.

Originally posted by seaweed View Post
        do you know if it is beef or sheep tallow?
        The coconut pemmican I made used beef tallow from US Wellness meats. It seemed like the absolute easiest way to get decent grass-fed tallow without a lot of hassle.

About the hunting. I would like to go hunting one day. My mother named me Diane after Diana (Artemis), the Goddess of the Hunt. My mother actually hunts, but I never have. Only fished.
        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• About the hunting. I would like to go hunting one day. My mother named me Diane after Diana (Artemis), the Goddess of the Hunt. My mother actually hunts, but I never have. Only fished
          i so need a female hunting buddy! i have just been looking at a you tube of someone bow hunting a deer with a dog like mine. Vizsla pointing sika deer - YouTube this is something i would like to do. all our beef is grass fed. i just ask the butchers at the supermarket for a bag of beef fat and render it myself. you can cut the fat off a leg of lamb and do the same. the rinds that get left behind are ever so tasty. me and the dog fight over them lol
          Doctors are huge idiots when it comes to weight loss and nutrition and they are even bigger idiots when it comes to women at that certain age. Even all the low-carb doctors out there are total idiots about women. We get to figure it all out on our own, unfortunately.
          worse than that, it isnt a one things works for all either. i am sure so much depends on how overweight you were when you were growing up, your genetic set point, how overweight you have been when you were older, for how long, long term nutritional issues, exercise history ad infinitum. n = 1 and even then it is frog in a boiling pot as the creep is so subtle that sometimes you cant tell what is or isnt effecting you without lots of guess work and theories. i sometimes feel like giving up too but then i would have to give up all the things i love doing as i would be too fat to move in the way i do!

Comment

• Originally posted by meeme View Post
            OH...Elk is wonderful! I could eat it all day. Have you eaten Moose? Bison is really good too. Thanks for the link. We have deer but I'd be reluctant for the same reasons you are PB.
            That website only has moose once in a while but yes it is good, like beefier venison.

there is sometimes the matter that the gas to get it, costs more than buying it. thinking about it too, the venison you get from NZ would be farmed? that is alot milder in flavour than wild venison. it doesnt have that sorta tang that gets described as gamey.

i dont mind guns but it is the person with the gun which is often the issue. i also am very leery of those open hunting blocks where anyone else may also be there with a gun. especially since my dog is the same size as a small fallow deer and a nice golden brown.
            Good point about the NZ stuff being farmed. I think all the ElkUSA stuff is hunted though. Not sure. My dog is a brown/tan mix too and I wouldn't want to put him at risk like that.

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post

About the hunting. I would like to go hunting one day. My mother named me Diane after Diana (Artemis), the Goddess of the Hunt. My mother actually hunts, but I never have. Only fished.
            This is why I got a female doctor. I love the classic statues of Diana and her trusty hounds.

i so need a female hunting buddy! i have just been looking at a you tube of someone bow hunting a deer with a dog like mine. Vizsla pointing sika deer - YouTube this is something i would like to do. all our beef is grass fed. i just ask the butchers at the supermarket for a bag of beef fat and render it myself. you can cut the fat off a leg of lamb and do the same. the rinds that get left behind are ever so tasty. me and the dog fight over them lol
            The crunchy bits left over after rendering bone marrow were soooo good.

So the nutritional analysis of Pemmican is in from Sparkpeople. I divided the batch into 16 ice cube tray little blocks. Figuring from 300 grams of rendered fat and an equal amount by weigh of pulverized venison for the batch and dividing by 16 we get:

per cube: 243 calories
            0g carb
            18g fat
            19g protein

I added garlic salt and turmeric to it for kick and it came out really yummy. The post Mark did on pemmican made it sound like survival food if you had to but not really something tasty. Well, mine is tasty, because that's just how we roll.

Comment

• Good point about the NZ stuff being farmed. I think all the ElkUSA stuff is hunted though. Not sure. My dog is a brown/tan mix too and I wouldn't want to put him at risk like that.
              pure $ value, if we are talking replacement hound, i could prob afford a heli trip with a guide where they basically shoot it for you and have change and keep the deer! one totally raw fed fancy pants hunting hound adds up in value very quickly lol

The crunchy bits left over after rendering bone marrow were soooo good.
              how do you get the marrow out? i am assuming you rendered it raw?

just hit the leaping tall buildings feeling here. and it feels sooo good. my gym performance didnt suffer at all and i just ran up the hill out the back better than usual.

Comment

• Roasting bones will begin to liquify the marrow...I did 20 min at 450---standing the bones on end in a glass baking dish...yum!

I notice that male deer are usually more gamey...also depends on whether the deer "hangs" before butchering.
                Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
                http://thewoodsygal.com/

Comment

• is there anywhere they sell pemmican already made....you guys are making it sound super yummy but I do not have time to attempt to prepare this....I wanna try it so bad though! maybe I can pay someone to mail it to me! lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Lawyerchick12 View Post
                    is there anywhere they sell pemmican already made....you guys are making it sound super yummy but I do not have time to attempt to prepare this....I wanna try it so bad though! maybe I can pay someone to mail it to me! lol
                    U.S. Wellness sells it:
                    U.S. Wellness Meats — Our Animals Eat Right So You Can Too.

Comment

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                      P.S. I remember when women were not allowed to have a credit card in their own name.
                      You must know my ex-husband....lol. For the first half of our 25 year marriage, my name was not on the checking account even though my paycheck was deposited into it every 2 weeks!

Comment

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post

You are right about doctors. I'm an RN, now lots of doctors...the saddest part is that so few women doctors are clueless too!

Re: hunting. I grew up in a family without much money but we never went hungry. We had a huge garden every year, spent all summer canning, raised our own chickens, and we ate lots of wild game and fresh fish. The last time I went hunting was with my mother who taught me how to field dress a deer. I think I was 14. I love fishing too! I'm thinking I should take up hunting and fishing again now that I am back in TX.

Comment

• Originally posted by seaweed View Post
                          worse than that, it isnt a one things works for all either. i am sure so much depends on how overweight you were when you were growing up, your genetic set point, how overweight you have been when you were older, for how long, long term nutritional issues, exercise history ad infinitum. n = 1 and even then it is frog in a boiling pot as the creep is so subtle that sometimes you cant tell what is or isnt effecting you without lots of guess work and theories. i sometimes feel like giving up too but then i would have to give up all the things i love doing as i would be too fat to move in the way i do!
                          Oh totally. I spent 9 months doing the suggested Primal Blueprint fitness of less cardio, more weights and sprinting and the whole "you can be fit on way less exercise" route. Supposed to be a miracle weightloss scheme, right? Ha! 9 months and not much to show for it except I like the greater strength, that's for sure. But no weight loss, no miracle 6-pack abs, which I pretty much thought was a laughable prospect for an older woman to achieve with so little effort anyway, and plenty of bad stuff to show for it like chronic inflammation, chronic muscle soreness, a feeling that it was all just too much to be dialed up to 11 all the time. So I decided to try very low heart rate running and bicycling, 1 - 2.5 hours a day and no sprinting, no strength training and no high heart rate cardio. After 3 weeks I'm starting to see the scale just barely move. It takes soooo long to try something new and see if it works.

just hit the leaping tall buildings feeling here. and it feels sooo good. my gym performance didnt suffer at all and i just ran up the hill out the back better than usual.
                          I love that feeling! I feel so good almost all the time now.

Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
                          The only trouble with the US Wellness pemmican is that it's sort of moist and the meat tastes cooked. I like the taste of it, but it really isn't real pemmican.

Originally posted by kimberley View Post
                          You must know my ex-husband....lol. For the first half of our 25 year marriage, my name was not on the checking account even though my paycheck was deposited into it every 2 weeks!
                          I'm too young to have experienced this myself, plus I've never shared a checking account with anybody. I just remember that women being able to get their own names on a credit card was an advancement. I also remember my mom really liked watching One Day at a Time and The Mary Tyler Moore Show and some of the others like that on TV. Things were so different back then and even though I was young at the time, I could see how things were changing. I don't think young women really understand how different everything is now.
                          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
                            thank you! I will see if they ship to Canada

Comment

• My mother had to have her father co-sign for her credit card when she was a professional in her 20s working in a university library. My friend's mother had to get her father to co-sign her mortgage when she wanted to buy a house as a single 30-something woman with a good paying teaching job. These things are not far in our past at all. My grandmother was born before women got the vote. I think young women too often forget how recent and fragile those freedoms are. Too many women my age are clueless and take those things for granted.
                              “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

• I spent 9 months doing the suggested Primal Blueprint fitness of less cardio, more weights and sprinting and the whole "you can be fit on way less exercise" route. Supposed to be a miracle weightloss scheme,
                                you see if i actually stick to the primal blueprint. avoid all those primal "treats", nuts and fruit like the plague, and if i cheat and have GF cake, it needs to only be once in a blue moon, it works. we are talking 3 meals a day, stuff like BAS, coffee with cream etc and maybe a sensible dessert once a week which IF i get in the right headspace is doable as. altho i do think the coffee with cream is what makes it doable lol my understanding of the pb fitness routine is move slowly lots ( i walk a good 4 miles a day over rough terrain at what i guess would be maffetone approved ), lift heavy weights ( i go to the gym and go hard with as big a weights as i can do 1x a week, lots of compound movements ), and sprint occasionally ( i do the odd sprint up the hill out the back or down the beach with the kids ). I am sure Mark has also said somewhere that 80% of your body comp is nutritional and I know the 6 pack is a function of body fat %ages. So for me, if i text book it, dont slip in the primal junk food, it works.
                                Last edited by seaweed; 09-27-2012, 12:02 PM. Reason: I cant spell!

Comment

Working...
                                X