Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • thanks for that link on pemmican. I have never tried this...we have oven dried venison jerky before. I dont even know what pemmican is...but it sounds right up my alley! Also, rendered venison bones scare me...are they NOT gamey like venison fat? We always trim off the venison fat because it doesnt taste very good IMO...however, perhaps the marrow is different? Deer season opens this weekend...we need to restock!
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
      This guy seems to have "written the book" on pemmican making.

      http://www.traditionaltx.us/images/PEMMICAN.pdf

      I'm going by his recommendations for drying the meat except doing it in a dehydrator (less messy). But he is very insistent about doing it at a lower temperature so as to DRY the meat not COOK it. He says the taste, texture, and nutrition are all better if it is just dried.

      I'm roasting the bones so I can extract the marrow. Then he says you can either do the stove top rendering method which requires a lot of stirring, or just put it in a baking dish in the oven for about a day on a low heat. That sounds easier.

      Some pemmican purists don't like to add spices but I have every intention of spicing these up. Not sure with what yet but I'll work that out.
      thanks PB! I never really understood what pemmican even was...this was a good little read.

      Comment


      • The low temp drying is probably similar to how much better a steak is when you cook it super low temp in the oven and then eat it super rare.

        Yeah, coconut pemmican was just melted tallow mixed with shredded dried coconut. The tallow barely pooled into a liquid if I left an indentation in the melted mixture. Otherwise the consistency was fairly dry. I might hate it, but I thought it was worth a shot. I thought the coconut would sort of hold it all together on backpack trips. Perhaps I should just bring tallow all by itself in a well-sealed container.
        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
          If you are one of the lucky ones who does see the pounds melt off all the way to perfect weight without hardly having to try hard, then you are lucky. If you aren't, then you don't have to beat yourself up wondering what on earth you are doing wrong, why you aren't having the success others are, why are you being so perfect and it's still not working and all that stuff. That's just the way it is for a lot of people. Those people tend to slink off the discussion forums and quit their diets and don't tend to write about their experiences, hence a lot of people will wonder what's wrong with them when actually nothing is wrong. Or worse, like that Griff guy, they get attacked on forums and driven away because the success they had wasn't "good enough" for everybody else.

          Weight loss is very very slow for the majority of people. If it's slow for you, you are NORMAL, not damaged, defective or doing it wrong. Just keep going, keep yourself focused on what has been successful, get outside help if you suspect a real metabolic problem and basically stay the course. That was the main point.
          Thank you! It is so very frustrating to know you are doing everything right but are not seeing results. I actually had a doctor accuse me once of eating more calories than I reported. I DO weigh and measure and count everything I consume and have done so for years! Once upon a time I was a runner--marathon, half-marathons, lots of weekly miles and weight-training, but I certainly never had the "runner's body" that most people assume all runners have. Since hitting menopause 2 years ago, I have had a helluva time controlling my weight in spite of all my efforts. I have so many days when I just want to give up trying, but I won't allow myself to do that.

          So thank you for saying I am NORMAL and not damaged, defective, or doing it wrong!

          Comment


          • Also, rendered venison bones scare me...are they NOT gamey like venison fat? We always trim off the venison fat because it doesnt taste very good
            usually the fat is off the lumps of deer i get given. i got some on the last one and rendered it and it was very nice. i dont find venison gamey tho so that could be it. i have rendered lard off wild hogs too. only young mild tasting ones but it still was white.

            Yeah, coconut pemmican was just melted tallow mixed with shredded dried coconut
            do you know if it is beef or sheep tallow?

            finally feeling good this morning. off to the gym so a good test. got a flask of pork broth for a post workout meal. i think i have nutted it out that it was eating too many calories to prevent cravings for the wrong things wearing me out lol

            Comment


            • Originally posted by solstice View Post
              thanks for that link on pemmican. I have never tried this...we have oven dried venison jerky before. I dont even know what pemmican is...but it sounds right up my alley! Also, rendered venison bones scare me...are they NOT gamey like venison fat? We always trim off the venison fat because it doesnt taste very good IMO...however, perhaps the marrow is different? Deer season opens this weekend...we need to restock!
              The premise behind pemmican is that you separate the two elements of meat, the fat and the lean, then prepare them, the lean dried then pulverized and the fat rendered and strained. Then when you put them back together you get these little fat and protein bombs that will keep almost indefinitely. The bones I used were grass fed beef. The marrow did render out nicely leaving me with a heap of bones which are now yielding bone broth in the crock pot. A nice by product of rendering is the crunchy little bits left over when you have strained off the pure fat. I think they are called "cracklins". I just had beef marrow cracklins for dinner. Happy tummy.

              Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
              The low temp drying is probably similar to how much better a steak is when you cook it super low temp in the oven and then eat it super rare.
              Yes, the venison taste was very clear in the final product. I don't understand when people say venison tastes "gamey" as if that is a bad thing. I think the low temp drying is important. The only other time I tried this I did it by Mark's post on the subject at a much higher heat and the result was edible but only if you were really hungry.

              Originally posted by seaweed View Post
              finally feeling good this morning. off to the gym so a good test. got a flask of pork broth for a post workout meal. i think i have nutted it out that it was eating too many calories to prevent cravings for the wrong things wearing me out lol
              Yes. Much better than protein powder shakes.

              Comment


              • we eat a lot of venison...3 to 4 deer per year. So, I can tell between a gamey and non-gamey deer. I will eat any of it...but there is a distinct taste difference...both taste like deer, but one gamey one can taste...um...worse!
                Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
                http://thewoodsygal.com/

                Comment


                • Originally posted by solstice View Post
                  we eat a lot of venison...3 to 4 deer per year. So, I can tell between a gamey and non-gamey deer. I will eat any of it...but there is a distinct taste difference...both taste like deer, but one gamey one can taste...um...worse!
                  Hmm. I guess I don't get to eat deer often enough to know the difference. We have silly laws here in California about being able to hunt but not to sell what you killed so, I end up buying mine flown in from New Zealand when they have it at my local Asian market. When they do I buy a bunch and freeze it. That is what I am using up right now since my new little lamb is going to be arriving Saturday. I need to clear out the freezer space.

                  Comment


                  • i've YET to try lamb! Hubby isnt on board yet...but soon I will make the purchase!
                    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
                    http://thewoodsygal.com/

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                      Hmm. I guess I don't get to eat deer often enough to know the difference. We have silly laws here in California about being able to hunt but not to sell what you killed so, I end up buying mine flown in from New Zealand when they have it at my local Asian market. When they do I buy a bunch and freeze it. That is what I am using up right now since my new little lamb is going to be arriving Saturday. I need to clear out the freezer space.
                      Doesn't that mean that the solution is for you to hunt your own deer?
                      Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

                      Griff's cholesterol primer
                      5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                      Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                      TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                      bloodorchid is always right

                      Comment


                      • I really have to make pemmincan; I have a freezer full of pastured beef and we rendered lots of tallow. Thanks for the link; the instructions look very detailed.
                        Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by solstice View Post
                          i've YET to try lamb! Hubby isnt on board yet...but soon I will make the purchase!
                          Real good pastured lamb is phenomenal. Drag him on board if necessary.

                          Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
                          Doesn't that mean that the solution is for you to hunt your own deer?
                          I'm not sure this city girl is quite THAT Primal yet.

                          Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
                          I really have to make pemmincan; I have a freezer full of pastured beef and we rendered lots of tallow. Thanks for the link; the instructions look very detailed.
                          I found his pictures were very accurate too and gave me a good idea of what to expect.

                          Comment


                          • we eat a lot of venison...3 to 4 deer per year. So, I can tell between a gamey and non-gamey deer. I will eat any of it...but there is a distinct taste difference...both taste like deer, but one gamey one can taste...um...worse!
                            it could be if it is a male or female deer, time of year so what they are eating or if they are rutting. i find different species of deer taste different too.

                            I end up buying mine flown in from New Zealand when they have it at my local Asian market
                            how crazy is that. you need to find someone who hunts and either give them cash or barter.

                            I'm not sure this city girl is quite THAT Primal yet.
                            it helps to either have a dog who can find deer, a big gun and/or someone with a big gun who knows how to find them. that is the difficult bit. the rest is just disection and biology. great fun tho even if you get nothing as it is a real good excuse to hardcore bush bash. i have seen some real cool youtubes of people bow hunting deer with dogs in the bush too.

                            Comment


                            • i've YET to try lamb!
                              missed this! you havent lived lol you can do some mean greek marinated lamb recipes or middle eastern stuff with it. Greek Grill-Out | theclothesmakethegirl the hubby will love it.

                              Comment


                              • My dog is a really good tracker but I live an awfully long way from any open land with deer, All the places I hike around here are either local, state or national parks. Unlike some states where you walk out your back gate and are in the woods. Northern California has some nice woods but SoCal has a lot more desert-y areas.

                                I'm also a little leery of "big guns". I wouldn't get grossed out by the butchering. I often thought about becoming a surgeon as a kid. But what would scare me is the thought that I would just wing the poor thing and cause it to suffer instead of a clean kill.

                                My other alternative place for purchasing deer is an online retailer from Colorado called Grande Natural Meats. They sell elk, goat, bison, deer, moose, etc. I really like them. Their website is ElkUSA.com if anybody is looking for game meat.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X