EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seaweed View Post
    what do you define as a lot of water? the only morning i felt heaps better was when i had been out and drank prob a whole liter of water on my own. i've been trying to have a glass of water by my desk all day to make sure i keep drinking but it is hard. it's not a habit i have anymore.
    most often i have 100 oz or more per day.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

• Originally posted by Leida View Post
      Oh, forgot to add, I found the way to stop idolizing fruit that works for my twisted mind. Well, first I do my homework examining my cravings for fruit and realizing that 99% of it is the yearning to recapture the childhood feeling of happiness and vacations and summer before everything went haywire. But the best is that I imagine that all the fruit in the house is made of WAX! Yep, those perfect fakes they sell in house decorating store. Yippee! Did the trick.
      hilarious!! lol.

the only thing that worked for me with fruit was cold turkey. i used to eat 3-4 servings of fruit each day. now apples and pears taste far too sweet, so it's berries once or twice per week and last night i had just 1/2 of a local peach. b/f got the other 1/2, plus another. i always have fruit with cream so i don't overeat it and it slows down the insulin response.
      As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

• Originally posted by jacmac View Post
        Can I ask how people get their fat intake up to 70%.
        I am half way through a whole 30 and figure when I am finished that I will transition across to eating moar fat.
        thanks
        for breakfast this morning i had 4 left-over home-made jalapeno poppers, wrapped in bacon and stuffed with cheese. my fat is at 75% right now. there will be broth with kerrygold butter later, some meat and some grass-fed cream too.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Oh, forgot to add, I found the way to stop idolizing fruit that works for my twisted mind. Well, first I do my homework examining my cravings for fruit and realizing that 99% of it is the yearning to recapture the childhood feeling of happiness and vacations and summer before everything went haywire. But the best is that I imagine that all the fruit in the house is made of WAX! Yep, those perfect fakes they sell in house decorating store. Yippee! Did the trick.
          Well, golly, if we're going to get all psychological, how about fear of death?

The end of the piece of the fruit is a tiny reminder that life's sweetness is transient and we all go "over the Bridge of Sighs and into eternity".

But maybe eating a little fruit isn't so bad if you're simply not eating enough. Don't believe in low calories. I think you simply adjust by down-regulating your metabolism.

Comment

I guess, something finally clicked off in the system, and I dropped 3 lbs from the last week.
            not nothin' eh? well done.

Now, the notes: I feel much better. Hunger is nowhere near the 'regular'.

<<snip

went to the amusement park with my folks totally forgetting post workout meal.

<<snip

Satiation is almost immediate on the low volumes of food. I chopped up a whole cantaloupe for my folks without experiencing adverse reaction, I drove in a car holding the core of my daughter's fresh unfinished apple that smelled like hells and did not feel like eating it. Well, it's good for now, let's hope it lasts.

On the negative side, recover takes longer and I feel much more sore after the training. Steam room is closed for maintenance, so I do not know when I can check if the steam can help me recover.
            you might just have to back off a week or two until you are more adapted. patience, grasshopper.

Cheers, keeping fingers crossed that I can have another good week of no damaging foods.
            cheers, indeed.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

• Originally posted by Lewis View Post
              But maybe eating a little fruit isn't so bad if you're simply not eating enough.
              unless it's causing cravings and insulin swings making hunger unreasonable and unmanageable. which is what is likely going on here.

eta: it would take slightly over 8 oz. of blackberries to get the equivalent calories from ONE tablespoon of butter. that's 16 nc for the berries vs. zero for the butter.

Don't believe in low calories. I think you simply adjust by down-regulating your metabolism.
              which becomes a never-ending spiral of broken-ness.
              Last edited by noodletoy; 09-17-2012, 11:18 AM.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

• unless it's causing cravings and insulin swings making hunger unreasonable and unmanageable. which is what is likely going on here.
                +1
                I am likely very sensitive to sugar (or, maybe fructose specifically). I cannot mount a scientific explanation, but that's my second time at trying no fruit approach (this time much higher on fat) and I see the same stupefying effect of balanced appetite, even energy and no mood swings. In addition to painless weight loss. Last time I lasted 40 days before getting bad depression. This time, I will make sure to utilize more fat and organ meats and keep up with the 5 HTP, and see how long I can make it. In the beginning of this low carb attempt, I was under 30 g carbs, but tried to have a little blueberries (less than 1/2 cup), and picking choke cherries as I walked the neighborhood (yes, that bad of an addiction). Nothing happened to me till I stopped berries. I know it sounds crack-pot, but maybe it is a part of my OMG Fat Switch a-la Scott F's theories of seasonal fat gain triggered by fructose. But, honestly, I want to just concentrate on balancing fruit-and-mood and mindful eating. If I can avoid the endless swings between despair and euphoria, feast and fast, I am okay handing in the fruit plate. It is such a straightforward connection, that I gotta be a fool not to see it.

Which does NOT mean other people can't eat fruit. Or that fruit is all bad. It is triggering something in me specifically.
                Last edited by Leida; 09-17-2012, 11:40 AM.
                My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

• most often i have 100 oz or more per day.
                  that's like 3 litres? i am lucky to drink a litre of water and prob 4 mugs of coffee/tea so i prob should make the effort to have more. when i say coffee/tea only 2 of them will be caffeinated. i also was reading about sodium as i have low blood pressure already so i prob should also have more salt. i've got the pink himilayan salt at the moment too. yumm!

Comment

• Good grief, the stock I had yesterday has nothing like those ingredients! It's much more simple. However having defended the stuff, today I'm bloated and have gained almost 1kg. Feels terrible! I'm guessing the stock is the culprit. I do have some pure chicken broth in the freezer, so I'll add salt to that and see what happens.
                    Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

• Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
                      [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3]unless it's causing cravings and insulin swings making hunger unreasonable and unmanageable. which is what is likely going on here.
                      On, IIRC, 1200 kcal per day?

That's a dangerously low intake as most competent authorities attest. Not but what there's a "let's under-eat" mentality everywhere evident on MDA.

Comment

• No, it is not 1200 cals a day. It is dangerously low when it is below BMR. My BMR is 1250-1270, and I am staying above that on all days on average, going high on training days and the weekends, and a bit lower on the recovery days. So, no, I am not undereating, I eat when I am hungry. The difference is that I can now stop when I am full instead of continue munching. I also do better at not eating away my feeling. My body will figure out where it needs to be as long as I learn to eat food that doesn't drive it into a 'let's save fat for popping out 20 more children in the dessert during the drought' mode. Multiple experiments with eating more, both intended and not intended show the same thing every time - when I eat more, I gain fat with no improvement to strength or vitality. I may not know much, but I know myself. I am finally doing good. Even for a short time, but it is still doing good.
                        Last edited by Leida; 09-17-2012, 01:47 PM.
                        My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                        When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

+1
                          I am likely very sensitive to sugar (or, maybe fructose specifically). I cannot mount a scientific explanation, but that's my second time at trying no fruit approach (this time much higher on fat) and I see the same stupefying effect of balanced appetite, even energy and no mood swings. In addition to painless weight loss. Last time I lasted 40 days before getting bad depression. . . . It is triggering something in me specifically.
                          I'm like that as well, Leida. Fructose is killer. I don't really crave it any more, but I remember how it used to give me some kind of a lift, and the smell of fruit arouses longing for that. Can happily live without the big crash that usually followed, though. I prefer the gentle peaceful warmth of being a fat burner. So far I'm pretty fragile in that state: it's like a soap bubble that can be popped by a plethora of things I haven't got figured out yet. Too many calories? Maybe. Too much protein? Maybe. Not enough fat? Maybe. Gah.

The salt thing is weird too. I've never liked salt. Never was fond of potato chips, never added extra salt to my food, don't cook with salt. I'm astounded at how much salt I can eat now. I put it in everything I drink, coffee, tea, broth, water. Last night, I drank a shot glass full of warm water with about an eighth of a teaspoon of salt in it and slept better than I have in quite a while. Woke up peacefully and felt rested at 4:30 am and was not thirsty. I should have gotten up then -- when I did get up at 8:30, I felt dazed and confused, like I'd slept too long.

Comment

• Good grief, the stock I had yesterday has nothing like those ingredients! It's much more simple. However having defended the stuff, today I'm bloated and have gained almost 1kg. Feels terrible! I'm guessing the stock is the culprit. I do have some pure chicken broth in the freezer, so I'll add salt to that and see what happens.
                            mine is the organic rapunzel vege stuff but it doesnt taste that good so i will hang out for some bones. i may even have some lamb bones in the freezer.

Last night, I drank a shot glass full of warm water with about an eighth of a teaspoon of salt in it and slept better than I have in quite a while
                            i should try this. the dog woke me up at some nasty hour and wanted to go out then proceeded to go for a wander so i have to run around in the freezing cold in bare feet to retrieve him which meant i didnt get back so sleep so i am dazed and confused too.

Comment

• I think there is something in homemade bone broth from real bones that you just can't get from bullion cubes. I know that Phinney and Voleck focus on the sodium, but I think those other minerals and substances are just as important. The minerals from the bones, plus the collagen and gelatin and whatever else from any tendons, skin, connective tissue. It is all helpful.
                              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                                I think there is something in homemade bone broth from real bones that you just can't get from bullion cubes. I know that Phinney and Voleck focus on the sodium, but I think those other minerals and substances are just as important. The minerals from the bones, plus the collagen and gelatin and whatever else from any tendons, skin, connective tissue. It is all helpful.
                                And it tastes heaps better, too. Today I have a wicked headache, too! Serves me right for turning to a crap solution. This n=1 can be quite painful at times .
                                Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

Working...
                                X