No announcement yet.

EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh, I know all about water, and it is not water. It is the persistent eating too much after supper with all the unpleasant consequences. I am fat because I eat too much, not because of some complicated 'condition'. So, yeah, I need to keep my eating down, but there is nothing new about it. That 'stop when satisfied' portion was always the main challenge of my body control enterprise.
    Last edited by Leida; 09-10-2012, 07:30 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

• ah! i work nights, so late-night eating was tough for me to eliminate. plenty of nights i went to bed hungry. i beat it though, by eating better choices during the day, and ignoring the habit of hand-to-mouth while i cruise the net, unwinding after work.
      As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

• leida, am wondering if the quark isn't doing you any favors? fresh dairy like that still has quite a bit of lactose -- sugar. is there some other kind of animal protein you'd have for the first meal?
        As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

• Hello All!

PB thank you so much for starting this thread!! I am circling back to this WOE after the 'safe starches' craze that hit the boards, as well as surgery taking me out of the loop for a bit. I am on day 5 of this, and already can feel a difference in mood and energy. A bit of the keto stinkiness with exercise and morning breath, but not as bad as when I first went paleo.

Fats in my diet are from butter, coconut oil/milk, and meats/eggs. Tracking (as others have said) is downright enlightening, I can't believe how much I was eating before! Plus, I have to shift completely out of the 'eat after dinner' phase. My HSIS macros are:

Carbs: 30.0 g
          Prot: 60.0 (55-65)g
          Fats: 115-145g

I have had one day with going over on carbs (damned guacamole, but it was good!), but keeping protein in check has been a challenge. I keep the 'meat' proteins calculated, and along come the veggie proteins and slap on an additional 5 g! Getting the fats above 125, haven't been able to accomplish it yet.

Off to research this 'fat bread' you are raving about!

Comment

• you may want to switch your tracker to figure net carbs for you. carbs minus fiber = net carbs.

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Avocados, raw, California

a whole avocado is only 3 nc.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

• I eat quark when I train, casein is good for lifting. I have been off and on dairy with no impact.

Comment

• i was a personal trainer for many years and knew/know lots of bodybuilders and power-lifters. they are LAST people on earth i take nutritional advice from and i was anorexic back then!

your thinking you need casein to lift seems to contradict what you wrote upthread about not wanting big muscles, just strong ones? you can get more complete protein from muscle meats and organs, sorry.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

• I think you have to just roll with any weight fluctuations until your body finally adjusts. Then you will be able to fast without agony. It's the lack of agony that is the big benefit of this whole thing. If you focus solely on weight loss and refuse to consider the effects some foods my have on achieving adaptation, you will never get to the point where you can fast without hunger and agony.

I haven't lost (or gained) any weight overall since resuming low carb. Alas, I think I'm at some evil homeostasis that will never budge. At least I have better energy than before. Maybe that's all I can hope for is just to feel healthy. Maybe I'll never look like one of those hot crossfit or volleyball ladies. Maybe the outside will never match how the inside feels. It has been a dream of mine since childhood to know what it's like to be beautiful, but alas I think I'm going to die without knowing what that's like.
                  Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• Nope, I want big muscle. Well, as big as they can get. What I don't want is thin/willowy. I want the firm body which means maximum muscle, minimum body fat. Whey is said to promote muscle building because of casein, plus to be honest I like quark, because I do tire of eggs and meat. I eat liver at least once a week, I eat seafood & eggs almost daily, so I doubt I am not getting complete. It is not the case of 1 cup of quark making me fat. It is the case of 'another snack and another snack' with tea after supper. I prefer being hungry during the day, since my sleep is not the greatest even when I am fed, but when I am hungry it is pretty much non-existent. And I have to work to support my family, so I need sleep. Valerian doesn't help, even sleeping pills do not help when I do take them (normally I do not).

Plus, there are tidbits about slimmer women eating more dairy and less meats. Pork in particular blamed for porkiness. Enough to drive one insane.

Before low carb I could minimize it by eating cabbage, but now my 'snacks' are all high fat, so they are clocking 100+ calories each. I had the same effect from peanut butter back when I tried Anabolic Diet, pre-primal. Did not consume dairy back then. On UD2.0, my most successful weight loss, I ate skim quark and skim milk on the carb-up days, and, during the second time, when I managed to rop to the old-time low, I believe I had quark whenever. The difference was I was sticking to 1000-1200 cals 5 days a week and keeping to 30-35% fat or so, not nearly hitting 2000 with 60-70% fat like now.

I was hungry then, I am fed now. I can freeze my poor kefir grains again (they do the stint in the freezer on the regular basis for months at time), and go on without quark after I finish the batch, but if I don't control myself, that would mean I would eat something else. The root cause is the eating for me, even if it fits the macro profile perfectly.

I set up the 500 pieces puzzle, I got out my crochet, I've read up on the relaxation techniques, and still I find the opportunity to stuff things into my mouth. Mind f'ing boggling. My next step is transferring the toothbrush downstairs and force-brushing my teeth even when I longingly glance into my tea cup & the accompanying dish-lette that is somehow empty already....
                    Last edited by Leida; 09-10-2012, 09:03 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                      I think you have to just roll with any weight fluctuations until your body finally adjusts. Then you will be able to fast without agony. It's the lack of agony that is the big benefit of this whole thing. If you focus solely on weight loss and refuse to consider the effects some foods my have on achieving adaptation, you will never get to the point where you can fast without hunger and agony.
                      when i went low-carb it was 20 nc per day, most of it from veggies. no fruits, no berries, no fresh dairy. the withdrawal was pretty sucky and i slept loads more than usual. some nights could not keep my eyes open past 8:00. i ate avocado, which helped.

if the diet still contains high-sugar foods, even in smallish quantities, the body will never stop looking for a quick hit of glucose and that yuk feeling will never pass.

I haven't lost (or gained) any weight overall since resuming low carb. Alas, I think I'm at some evil homeostasis that will never budge. At least I have better energy than before. Maybe that's all I can hope for is just to feel healthy. Maybe I'll never look like one of those hot crossfit or volleyball ladies. Maybe the outside will never match how the inside feels. It has been a dream of mine since childhood to know what it's like to be beautiful, but alas I think I'm going to die without knowing what that's like.
                      i look at your pix and see a very fit, trim woman. i think you need new eyeballs.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

• i slept loads more than usual.
                        Gods, I would count that as the BIGGEST benefit of ANY diet. I get the reverse, I can't sleep, and I am continuously exhausted, and, at times, dizzy.

Comment

I think you have to just roll with any weight fluctuations until your body finally adjusts. Then you will be able to fast without agony. It's the lack of agony that is the big benefit of this whole thing. If you focus solely on weight loss and refuse to consider the effects some foods my have on achieving adaptation, you will never get to the point where you can fast without hunger and agony.

I read your posts with interest. Is it possible you are a mesomorph? Your Body Type - Ectomorph, Mesomorph or Endomorph? | Muscle & Strength My son is a mesomorph and has complained since childhood that he's fat...but when he's at a good weight he's not fat, he also is not slender. Just wondering, hope you don't mind. I learn a lot from you, Thanks.
                          A Woman's Place Is In The Revolution.

Comment

• Heh, I am an Endomorph, that's a given.

EDIT: Anyway, I will freeze both the grains and the batch of quark.
                            Last edited by Leida; 09-10-2012, 09:45 AM.

Comment

• It seems Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt is experimenting with this. It'll be interesting to see how it goes for him:

Experiment: Optimal Ketosis for Weight Loss and Improved Performance | DietDoctor.com

Comment

I bought some triple cream goat brie. Just thought I would inject a little sense into this talk about cheese. Coconut cheese? Nut cheese? Not cheese. Abominations. But I agree that maybe there is too much cheese lately. That's why I'm very grateful for liver pate and pesto.

P.S. I remember when women were not allowed to have a credit card in their own name.
                                I'm casein intolerant so I'm looking forward to learning how to make alternatives...at the same time I agree with you, and wish I could partake. It was tough at first but I'm ok with it now.

I wanted to make the liver pate but haven't found any liver, yet. We have one real butcher shop here and it's only open 3 days a week. If they don't have any good liver this week I will request it for next week. Found some huge knuckle bones but no shanks...they are roasting...also got some nice ox tail slow cooking...yum.

I'm still loosing weight and sleeping better than I have in years. My blood pressure is coming down. I dug out my skinny cloths that have been in the drawer for 5 years...woot!! I noticed that when I walk I don't have pain and my hips swing again...double woot!! I've missed my breezy walk!! Swish, swish....and no pain.
                                A Woman's Place Is In The Revolution.

Comment

Working...
                                X