EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Miss Understood View Post
    Tracking calories this past week has been enlightening. Previously I just followed the "eat till you're satisfied" method. I had no idea some meats were so many calories. I had about 5 oz of beef short ribs yesterday and SP pegged that at over 500 calories. A quarter pound of grass fed hamburger is more like half that. Truly, if I hadn't been tracking, I wouldn't have expected yesterday to be a high calorie day, but I ended up at over 2200 calories. I might get down to 1500 some days, but 1200 is not happening. I know everyone is different, but I don't see how some of you are content on 1200-1400 calories. I guess if I skipped one meal I could get to that level, but I'm used to eating three meals even if one of those meals is just bulletproof coffee some days.
    Yes. Tracking can be very enlightening. You can't know where to adjust something if you don't know where things stand.

Originally posted by RaeVynn View Post
    My macros yesterday... and, yes, I'm still dropping the pounds faster than I thought possible:
    Yay! Isn't it fun when it clicks?

Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
    I've been tracking this week on SP too and I've found it very enlightening. It could be that I'm not measuring correctly ( this is the first time I've counted calories and tracked my intake) but I am consistently under my target total calories. I have been trying to eat fat first so maybe that's why. The first meal of the day for the past few days has been some sort of hot beverage with fat (tea with cream) and bone broth. Then I have 2 other meals, lunch is somewhere around 1pm and dinner around 6pm. My weight hasn't budged at all.

This week I've exercised somewhat less than usual as my son has been sick so we've been staying in more than usual. Normally we hike in the woods daily and sprint once a week. This week I mostly went out on short walks with my dogs and did abbreviated versions of my body weight exercises.
    Yes, stress/perhaps sleep deprivation of your son being sick and not getting out on top of that could factor in.

Originally posted by homunculus View Post
    I kept reading all the threads that said to eat more carbs etc and decided to eat more myself despite feeling really well on low carb. That just resulted in binge eating and feeling unwell all the time and even my depression resurfacing. I'm going back to low carb, now just gotta read the whole thread. Thanks Paleobird!
    A lot of people have had this experience when they listened to the higher carb advocates. For a young guy with single digit bodyfat who is weight lifting like a maniac, a higher amount of carbs is fine but that experience can't be generalized to everybody. I'm glad you figured out what works for you.

Comment

• For the people who have made Free the Animal Fat Bread, have you tried making it in any other form than a loaf? While I have never really liked bread in general, fat bread garlic knots sound very good. I'm just wondering if the bread would hold up to cooking in that kind of shape.
      Primal Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by Quies View Post
        For the people who have made Free the Animal Fat Bread, have you tried making it in any other form than a loaf? While I have never really liked bread in general, fat bread garlic knots sound very good. I'm just wondering if the bread would hold up to cooking in that kind of shape.
        I dunno about garlic knots. I think it might need some kind of baking device around it. The batter isn't glue-y enough to twist like that. I think it would do well as muffins. I plan to try that on my next batch.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
          I dunno about garlic knots. I think it might need some kind of baking device around it. The batter isn't glue-y enough to twist like that. I think it would do well as muffins. I plan to try that on my next batch.
          Well, if the muffins work, maybe I could just put butter and garlic on them. I'm having trouble meeting my fat needs without going overboard on protein, I may have to go with fat bread some days.
          Primal Journal

Comment

• Fat bread+mascarpone cheese=ketogenic bliss.

Comment

• I must search for this mascarpone.
              Primal Journal

Comment

• Oh, I love the fat bread.

I'm thinking it would work well as muffins... I may have to try that next. My first loaf is starting to get thin...

Comment

• Originally posted by Quies View Post
                  I must search for this mascarpone.
                  Imagine the taste of ricotta but with a texture half way in between cream cheese and butter...... Salivating yet?

Originally posted by RaeVynn View Post
                  Oh, I love the fat bread.

I'm thinking it would work well as muffins... I may have to try that next. My first loaf is starting to get thin...
                  I added some cinnamon and nutmeg to my current loaf and it is delicious. It does take a while to make it through a loaf. You just can't eat that much at once.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                    Imagine the taste of ricotta but with a texture half way in between cream cheese and butter...... Salivating yet?
                    You had me at ricotta.
                    Primal Journal

Comment

• We managed to get through a loaf in one dayBut there are four of us!

we are making another batch tonight and will make them as muffins now thanks for the idea.
                      link to my journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread97129.html

Comment

• Hi paleobird and everyone, do anyone of u guys have this problem that I had?

I have been constantly tracking my diet since I started primal, and my usual calories intake is around 1200cal and fat intake is around 50-60% (mainly from nuts, fresh milk and cheese), 30% protein (from milk cottage cheese and lean meat), and 10% carbo (which is around 40g of total carbo and mainly from the fresh milk I drank). Exercising wise I usually do jogs, tennis weight lifting. Ultimately I aim to achieve a calorie deficit.

When I am on this type of diet, I actually notice that I am losing weight but at the same time gaining body fat? I actually look fatter even though I lost around 2kg in 1 month. Is there something wrong with my body or it's just my imagination?

Comment

• I've been eating this way for a week now and am feeling really good. My lovely almost-21 year old daughter who likes to torture herself when she loses weight just called and asked me if I'd unofficially particpate in some 90-day Food Patrol challenge with her. I told her I wasn't willing to change what I was doing right now, but I'll be her accountability buddy and I'll participate doing the good fat/mod protein/lower carbs thing. I hope the Food Patrol isn't some CW nonsense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Isabel1989 View Post
                            Hi paleobird and everyone, do anyone of u guys have this problem that I had?

I have been constantly tracking my diet since I started primal, and my usual calories intake is around 1200cal and fat intake is around 50-60% (mainly from nuts, fresh milk and cheese), 30% protein (from milk cottage cheese and lean meat), and 10% carbo (which is around 40g of total carbo and mainly from the fresh milk I drank). Exercising wise I usually do jogs, tennis weight lifting. Ultimately I aim to achieve a calorie deficit.

When I am on this type of diet, I actually notice that I am losing weight but at the same time gaining body fat? I actually look fatter even though I lost around 2kg in 1 month. Is there something wrong with my body or it's just my imagination?
                            Out of interest, what are you basing that calorie intake on, seems remarkably low, well below your basal metabolic rate I would guess.

Comment

• Originally posted by Isabel1989 View Post
                              Hi paleobird and everyone, do anyone of u guys have this problem that I had?

I notice two things - a lot of dairy (with lactose, which seems to be quite insulinogenic) and possibly quite a bit of O-6 (nuts - depending on how much of them, and which nuts - O-6 content is quite variable there). The net of this is that you may be persisting in a low-level inflammatory state, which is preventing the lean out I would expect at that intake and output level. Poor man's version is that your body perceives stress (inflammation) and therefore hangs on to fat, and that is exacerbated by the insulin release from the lactose.

Note - this is a possibility, not a diagnosis. But you might try emphasizing the cheese and meat, more butter, less milk and cottage cheese, and evaluate. Among other things, you might reduce the carbs and, without the insulin, find a fair amount of water release when glycogen stores decline. If you do go lower carb, it's important to keep your sodium up, or you will lose potassium as the body rebalances and kidney function accommodates. This is described in Phinney and Volek - Amazon.com: The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-Saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and Enjoyable (9780983490708): Stephen D. Phinney, Jeff S. Volek: Books

Comment

• After a considerable period of adaptation, though, it seems the sodium can be dialed back. I was using salt for a long time and (thought it really saved my hide at first) my BP ended up around 155/90-ish in time, so I started taking magnesium and potassium instead and only get sodium from food instead of adding it. Now my BP is back to 120/70-ish and I feel great.

Now I get most of my sodium from bacon and sauerkraut. Ohhhhh, yes. Yes I DO!
                                Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Working...
                                X