No announcement yet.

EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just came off a fast also. I thought I would screen shot this, as I will probably never see this again.

65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

• Originally posted by ennaejay View Post
      Just chipping in to say Thanks, paleobird. Been following this for a couple of days and this thread is like the missing link in my head. It's making more sense now.. super cool. I appreciate your expertise & all the great links that ppl have added along the way. You rock my face off! I added more fat to my break-fast and found I wasn't "munchy" after my meal, super cool. I hope more folks chime in..
      Welcome. Glad it could help. I don't think I've ever rocked anyone's face off before. Cool.

Originally posted by Daydreamer View Post
      Dear posters of this thread.
      I want to thank all of you for making me want to try real Low Carb/High Fat Paleo.

I've never felt so good about food in my life, it's absolutely amazing.
      I began with a fast, when I introduced some "bulletproof" coffee/green tea with Coconut Oil, that lasted around 38 hours, and then began to eat something like 60 to 65 % Fats, 30 % Proteins, and 5 to 10% Carbs.
      Went for many walks and felt absolutely amazing, peaceful...

Even if I'm glycogen depleted, I look much better, I feel much less inflamed, less bloated, my gut seems to be happy and I feel good about food.

Hope I won't have adverse effects of being in ketosis for too long since I'm just a young 19 yo man who needs to re-grow muscles after a severe hypogonadism, but I feel very very good doing that...

Just a question, even if one glass of Kombucha is around 14 kcal, like 4 grams of carbs, is it possible to feel slightly "strange" after drinking it ? Like a short carb high... It's been quite often now.
      Yes it is a wonderfully serene feeling. Just make sure you eat enough. We don't want you getting too skinny again. You were looking pretty hot in the latest photos, BTW. I don't know about the kombucha. Some brews have a trace amount of alcohol in them. You may be reacting to that.

Originally posted by gopintos View Post
      Yal I dont know that I do, or just shrug it off as something else.

After this fast would be a good time to experiment, huh? Just add in one carby thing at a time? I realize most things are multi-taskers, but I could add back in my yogurt & see what happens, etc. Trouble is, I don't like just yogurt, it needs a banana or blueberries or nut butter or something, and I usually alternate those things each day, thus the trouble of narrowing it down. So maybe I should make a conscious effort to pay attention to it and limit those things introduced back in?
      You are your own N=1. Experiment and report back.

I just came off a fast also. I thought I would screen shot this, as I will probably never see this again.
      That's enough to give a cardiologist a heart attack!

Comment

• Originally posted by Daydreamer View Post
        Dear posters of this thread.
        I want to thank all of you for making me want to try real Low Carb/High Fat Paleo.

I've never felt so good about food in my life, it's absolutely amazing.
        I began with a fast, when I introduced some "bulletproof" coffee/green tea with Coconut Oil, that lasted around 38 hours, and then began to eat something like 60 to 65 % Fats, 30 % Proteins, and 5 to 10% Carbs.
        Went for many walks and felt absolutely amazing, peaceful...
        Yay, Daydreamer!

LOL. That is awesome.

And thanks sbhikes and other peeps for all the Maffetone info. Very interesting. Yet more to add to my long reading list ...
        I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Comment

• The Big Book Of Endurance by Phil Maffetone is the up to date one, available on the Amazon website

Comment

• I am not doing well at all. I was getting progressively more hungry and feeling disoriented. I ended up in a forced fast on Sunday because the cleaners were in, and I couldn't go cook lunch till about 1 pm. I was laying the gravel pad, and had to stop all the time and just stand and stare for minutes. Then, yesterday, I couldn't stop eating, and eating, and eating. I even skipped the gym, and worked in the yard, doing light stuff like sawing off the brunches and moving bulbs, and mowing, but the moment I hit the house, I wanted to eat. I was afraid to eat pork, because it will have too much protein, and still ate it. In the end I ate 1 apple and a cup of blueberries and stopped the endless eating spree. I didn't even want anything sweet, just food. Maybe it's the dairy that messes me up. I was adding coconut milk to my home-made quark, to bust up fats. I tried cheese and creamed coconut. I wanted food instead. I made a roast overnight, but now I don't know if I can have that for supper, because I had quark and coconut milk for breakfast & plan on 3 eggs & coconut butter for lunch. I can eat coconut oil by the spoon & coconut milk, but I don't feel satiated at all, like other people here. I even ate drippings and bacon. I feel like I mount calories really high but I don't feel good & full or satisfied with my food. What's wrong with me? That always puzzles me. Other people feel full, and I have like a pit in my stomach. Does anyone else had the same experience and how you overcome it? I really want to see it through and re-educate myself. I understand that giving up all the time is not going to cut it, so I am looking for successful solutions. Unfortunately, not having fruit in the house is out of the question. It's like the cravings are not really a problem even. The best I can describe it is unsatisfaction? Meaning, I eat incorrectly?
            Last edited by Leida; 09-05-2012, 06:20 AM.
            My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
            When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
              You can find lots of his info free on his website. Here's his two-week test. He talks a little about carb intolerance here.
              Phil Maffetone, www.philmaffetone.com - 2 Week Test
              Thanks for the link, sbhikes! Sent this to my brother. This is a good quick summary and maybe a good way to get people to try low- carb and get them interested in this way of eating!

Comment

• I bought the Big Book of Health and Fitness. It's also listed as "up to date" according to Maffetone. Lots of typos, but I suppose you're never going to get a real publisher to put out a book with such contrariness and so little diet book tone of voice.

Leida, you sound like you are having carb withdrawl. My own experience was the first week I was eating around 2000 calories and was constantly hungry. I felt weak in the knees and tired. The second week I was able to do more days around 1500 and a few around 2000 calories. I was still always hungry and feeling weak in the knees. Middle-end of the second week I didn't feel weak in the knees anymore and felt a lot more energy. By the third week (this one) I was much less hungry, it was much easier to stay within 1500 calories, I felt clear-headed, vibrant, alive, full of energy, been doing all kinds of exercise because I feel so good. I went for a hike this weekend without breakfast and ate a small breakfast on the trail at lunchtime. I think I'm actually starting to lose weight once again. I probably jinxed it by saying that.
                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• So, sbhikes, did you just keep eating fat predominantly and did not fool with carbs? Were you controlling protein?

Comment

• Originally posted by Leida View Post
                    I am not doing well at all. I was getting progressively more hungry and feeling disoriented. I ended up in a forced fast on Sunday because the cleaners were in, and I couldn't go cook lunch till about 1 pm. I was laying the gravel pad, and had to stop all the time and just stand and stare for minutes. Then, yesterday, I couldn't stop eating, and eating, and eating. I even skipped the gym, and worked in the yard, doing light stuff like sawing off the brunches and moving bulbs, and mowing, but the moment I hit the house, I wanted to eat. I was afraid to eat pork, because it will have too much protein, and still ate it. In the end I ate 1 apple and a cup of blueberries and stopped the endless eating spree. I didn't even want anything sweet, just food. Maybe it's the dairy that messes me up. I was adding coconut milk to my home-made quark, to bust up fats. I tried cheese and creamed coconut. I wanted food instead. I made a roast overnight, but now I don't know if I can have that for supper, because I had quark and coconut milk for breakfast & plan on 3 eggs & coconut butter for lunch. I can eat coconut oil by the spoon & coconut milk, but I don't feel satiated at all, like other people here. I even ate drippings and bacon. I feel like I mount calories really high but I don't feel good & full or satisfied with my food. What's wrong with me? That always puzzles me. Other people feel full, and I have like a pit in my stomach. Does anyone else had the same experience and how you overcome it? I really want to see it through and re-educate myself. I understand that giving up all the time is not going to cut it, so I am looking for successful solutions. Unfortunately, not having fruit in the house is out of the question. It's like the cravings are not really a problem even. The best I can describe it is unsatisfaction? Meaning, I eat incorrectly?
                    I had this feeling when I first started PB about a month ago. It started in the second week and lasted about 1.5-2 weeks. It really freaked me out and I made a post entitled "Hungry and scared". I had to really add fat. Like I drank a cup of heavy whipping cream (maybe it was like 2) with a scoop of protien powder. It has gone away as I am not as freaked out. I think it was a severe carb withdrawl.

Comment

• Ye gods, I hope I don't have to do that. I will try eating more coconut oil. If I have to drink cream, I might as well just give up now. But I really miss food.

Comment

• Leida, I cut myself some slack but I tried to have a little restraint. I didn't have any fruit or whatever to try to feel better. That is totally counter-productive. I sort of limited my protein, but my goal isn't seizure control. I just wanted to return to how I felt very low carb. But I did try to get my fat level higher than the usual 50%. I was able to average around 65% fat for the week.

Here's an example:
                        B
                        2 cups of coffee, lots of cream
                        Sausage, beef tongue and mushrooms cooked in butter

L
                        About 1/4 cup macadamia nuts
                        At least 3 Tablespoons of coconut manna, maybe more
                        6 Dried Moroccan olives

D
                        Steak burrito bowl (homemade - beef, onions, peppers, lettuce, tomato, avocado, salsa, cilantro, cheese)
                        8oz red wine

The thing is, during the adjustment, despite eating way more calories than I wanted to, I didn't gain any weight. I felt kind of fat for a little bit there, but the scale didn't say anything.

I have many pounds I can lose, though. Leida, you are very thin and you probably won't notice any miracle weight loss. But if you can adapt, it might calm your obsession with food.

Comment

• I don't really expect any weight loss, I just don't want to gain while I am on the W30 and can't check the scale. I don't drink alcohol at all, so I thought I can have a bit of berries instead. I guess not. I think quark might be a problem, but I already had had some today and set the next batch ... I am hoping today to try to stick with

B (already had): ~ 1 cup of quark with ~ 1/2 cup coconut milk
                          3 eggs + 3 tbsp of coconut oil for lunch, 2 Brazil nuts for a snack
                          4 oz of the cross-rib roast, 300 g of cabbage with a drizzle of vinegar (or cook it in the rib broth, no sure yet) and 17 g of creamed coconut for dessert

It's about 80 g of protein for the day, but I am not sure I can stick to 4 oz of roast, let alone reduce it/drop it for cabbage in butter or something. I guess I can try that, but I do feel like having some meat!

Comment

• [QUOTE=OneDeltaTenTango;945068]As sbhikes notes, you are misinterpreting the use of the Maffetone equation. 180-age is not max heart rate, but the top end of heart rate to stay in an aerobic, fat burning zone. This is not much different than move slowly ala Sisson. Mark defines that as <= 75% of max heart rate.

No, I wasn't misinterpreting the Maffetone equation. I wouldn't use any heart rate equation because it is all too general and it can be a bit anal. What I was correcting was someone saying your maximum heart rate is 180 - your age.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leida View Post
                              I don't really expect any weight loss, I just don't want to gain while I am on the W30 and can't check the scale. I don't drink alcohol at all, so I thought I can have a bit of berries instead. I guess not. I think quark might be a problem, but I already had had some today and set the next batch ... I am hoping today to try to stick with

B (already had): ~ 1 cup of quark with ~ 1/2 cup coconut milk
                              3 eggs + 3 tbsp of coconut oil for lunch, 2 Brazil nuts for a snack
                              4 oz of the cross-rib roast, 300 g of cabbage with a drizzle of vinegar (or cook it in the rib broth, no sure yet) and 17 g of creamed coconut for dessert

It's about 80 g of protein for the day, but I am not sure I can stick to 4 oz of roast, let alone reduce it/drop it for cabbage in butter or something. I guess I can try that, but I do feel like having some meat!
                              You should just let yourself gain. It will be temporary. I felt like I was gaining but it totally was temporary. The scale didn't really move--went up only a pound, but I felt puffy for a while and now I feel lean and I see a better appearance in the mirror, even though the scale has only gone down a pound.

I read this guy called coach calorie who says that most women don't eat enough calories to lose weight. What he says sort of makes sense. He says you should eat the maximum number of calories you can and still lose weight. He says start at 2000 calories and eat that much for at least a week. If you aren't losing weight, ADD 500 calories. Keep adding until you start losing weight. If you see weight gain after 3 weeks, then back off 500 calories. But it has to be consistent gain for at least 3 weeks.

I think he tells women this because too many women go too long eating ridiculously small amounts of food while exercising like maniacs. Their metabolisms are so slowed down. This revs them back up, I guess. Anyway it gave me some piece of mind that it would be okay if I ate around 2000 calories for a while, that it would probably not cause any real harm. And it didn't.

At this point I can eat 2000 calories now and then, but if I ate that much every day, I'd be going to bed feeling uncomfortably full and waking up sick to my stomach.

Comment

• Regarding the 180 formula. This forum post on his website explains some of the limits of the formula and also explains the other things that go along with the formula because the formula isn't really used in total isolation.
                                Phil Maffetone, www.philmaffetone.com - Forum

In my case, I consider myself a rather ordinary person, not a special case. I'm sure that the formula is a good place to start. Yes, you do go quite slow, but consider that the inability to go fast at this heart rate shows you how poor your aerobic base of fitness really is. Already I have learned that my fitness is pretty good until I have to climb a hill, and then I always push right into the anaerobic zone. This push push push feeling has been quite the bane of my existence for a long time, preventing me from doing things like trail running and making me feel often that I'm overtrained.

Here's the full text of his formula. Phil Maffetone, www.philmaffetone.com - 180-Formula

Comment

Working...
                                X