Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
    I think all those thyroid and serotonin and insulin restance scares are truly just misinterpretations of reality. Anyway, if you try low carb and truly adapt--not just get stuck in that zone of misery--and feel really good, then who cares what your serotonin, thyroid and pancreas are doing. You can't feel this healthy and happy and also be sick. And the contrary is also true that you can't be be healthy on carb levels that don't leave you feeling healthy.

    I am reading Phil Maffetone's Big Book of health and Fitness and he's got a lot to say about all this heavy weight lifting that's pushed around here. It is good to read something on fitness that actually jives with my personal experience and observations. So-called chronic cardio is another one of those half truths leading people astray. Basically we should all be walking slowly, hiking and even jogging and any heavy weight lifting should be natural, not isolated movement for hypotrophy and building big puffy muscles. All that does is interfere with fat burning and give you metabolic disorders. That totally explains to me why certain folks preach the potato so much. Through their stressful training anaerobically to fatigue they're triggering similar metabolic reactions I got just being a fatso with insulin resistance.
    Very true. A lot of the "Low carb will make<body part> fall off!" alarmist "studies" are ones that never really were low carb in the first place, just lowER than the SAD, and/or didn't last long enough to get fully into ketosis. People reporting feeling yucky five days in is normal.

    Originally posted by healthy11 View Post
    Just thought I'd share a couple of upcoming recipes on my high fat low carb menu

    Baked Salmon with Macadamia Pesto
    Macadamia Pesto Recipe | Noob Cook Recipes
    [KITCHEN CRUSH][/url]
    Macadamia nut pesto? Where? I must try this. Thank you.

    Originally posted by Wrenwood View Post
    I am 55, 5'4" and currently weigh 164 lbs down from 185 a year ago. Not sure what my ideal weight is but about 5 years ago I got down to 135 and people were asking if I'd been sick. I looked rather drawn and unhealthy below 140 - my natural shape is very much an hourglass but I would like to add some muscle too.

    I am going to try to do the calculations on how much fat/protein/carbs but I don't mind if anyone wants to chime in with more directions as I am not exactly a numbers person. Thanks!
    At your height, you could easily do 135 or even 130 if you lose it the right way. That drawn look is from crash CW style dieting usually.

    Originally posted by Sanas View Post
    This is great, this thread. I curtsy with gratitude in your direction, Paleobird. So simple, the way you have united the CICO and the EAT MOAR FAT camps! and obvious -- after you did it. (Now, could you please do the Republicans and the Democrats?)

    I'm really fascinated by the effects of ketosis on brain function. The feeling of calm, the content, the clarity -- I so want to experience that. I remember from the time I did the Atkins diet for three weeks how it felt like I had beautiful free-flowing hot water in my veins (I tend to be a cold, socks in bed kind of person). I've felt almost like this again, so I shall keep on keeping on.

    Am I right in thinking that being in ketosis depends not on total calories, but on keeping carbs low? Maybe 38 grams of carbs is too high, even though that's what I calculate? What do y'all think?
    Sorry but politics is out of my control.
    Yes, the brain effects are amazing. But, when you consider that the brain is made up of mostly fat, understandable.
    Your actual carb number will be different from anyone else's. All these formulas are just a place to start, not absolutes.

    Originally posted by Sigi View Post
    Well. Guess who's sitting here, eating her first ever pot of home-made Paleobird Paté Par-Excellence for dinner! I'm dead impressed with myself. Who knew it would be so easy? Kept it simple, just added a couple of rashers of bacon to the recipe for extra saltiness/flavour. Next time I'm thinking mushrooms, or perhaps some truffle oil ...

    Thanks for the inspiration, Robin!

    And a question: How long will this stuff keep in the fridge? I made four little pots tonight (Sunday evening) - if I eat one a day over the next few days will it last okay, or should I freeze one or two pots? I'm always nervous about keeping offal for very long, especially given my experience at how fast stuff like liverwurst can "turn" and smell off to me.
    You're welcome. It will keep for at least a week or two in the fridge but I put mine in little containers that have lids. If yours don't you might want to do the fat drizzle over the top to seal out the air.

    Originally posted by patski View Post
    Where does one find lebne kefir cheese?

    Also: my liver purchases have royally been pissing me off lately. I usually fry up my liver in bacon or onions or sometimes both. But lately, I try and cut myself a piece, and there's tendons INSIDE this particular piece. OMG! Totally un-edible and highly frustrating!
    How does one cut out tendons that are INSIDE liver?
    I may just make a wackload of pate. I can't use cream though. It might turn out ok with bacon and lard, no? Hmmm...
    Labne kefir cheese is something I get at a little ethnic bodega run by middle eastern people. My Jewish friend tuned me on to it so you might be able to find it someplace that stocks Kosher stuff as well. There are tendons inside the liver? Really? I've never run across that. Anybody else? I think the pate would work with any fat, lard, bacon drippings, go for it. Experiment and report back.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 09-02-2012, 10:33 AM.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Leida View Post
      However, I was experiencing faint dizziness on Friday and it went away after having some fruit on Sat. Bad or good?
      Good. You don't want to be dizzy, do you?

      However, while I guess there's little harm in having a little fruit as you adapt, and it's certainly better than falling and breaking your nose or something, have a look at this post by Dr. Rades:

      The most common cause of virtually all the symptoms listed [including dizziness] above is an imbalance in electrolytes. ...
      The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. » Tips & tricks for starting (or restarting) low-carb Pt II

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Lewis View Post
        Good. You don't want to be dizzy, do you? Have a look at this post by Dr. Rades:

        The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. » Tips & tricks for starting (or restarting) low-carb Pt II
        That is an excellent article. I really recommend anyone wanting to go substantially lower carb/higher fat give that a read. Thanks, Lewis.

        Comment


        • About the liver having tendons - not possible, AFAIK. However, I have encountered livers from mature animals that had holes in the slices where blood vessels had gone, and these holes were surrounded by white tissue, which can be a bit tough if not cut out. There is another possibility that I shudder to mention. One time many moons ago, I bought most of a liver from my local butcher. I noticed a piece of "string" in it; so followed it through the consecutive slices. A worm! Arrrrgh! Butcher didn't think it was, but after my years of dosing various farm animals and pets for parasites, I know cows do not have some special immunity and I was 99% sure that's what it was. Turned me off liver for a while, but I'm back eating my (processed) liver pate until I can make Paleobird's recipe. It looks delish!

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Paysan View Post
            About the liver having tendons - not possible, AFAIK.
            anatomically impossible for livers to have tendons. i make pate without cream, only because i don't often have it at my house. (the cream lives at the b/f's house.) i poach the livers and just whizz up with butter, seasonings and a splash of cognac. if you can't use butter, any kind of animal fat will work -- duck or goose fat would be especially great. it keeps a week or two, but if i make several pounds of livers at a time, i portion it and freeze, which works great.

            have been trying to catch up on this thread, lol, phew. finally.

            last summer i had middle-aged lady hormonal kaplooeyness and gained almost 10 pounds that i could not shake. got some of it off after having an iud removed and beginning some chinese herbs. cut my protein, upped my fats this past thursday and friday and saturday was down 1.5 pounds from thursday. it was the lowest weight i've seen since last year.

            did not weigh today because we had sashimi with soy sauce and lots of fish roe last night, so didn't want the sodium water weight sads.

            i have noticed that i've been running very hot since friday. however, this does seem like very small amounts of protein. typically i eat twice per day and was probably eating twice as much. right now i am shooting for about 70 gms, jeebus. not much food. but i will stick with it and know my appetite will adjust.

            i began this whole journey with atkins 3 years ago, so i too count net carbs. i don't consume foods with sugar alcohols, so don't know/worry about that fuzzy math.

            now that i feel more myself, "more balanced," i feel more capable of tackling this in a concentrated way. my brain and moods were so effed from the synthetic hormones and yadayada. honestly, i do think a good bit of this protein game is gender-based. i wonder if women are simply not designed to consume as much as men, even with all other things being equal.

            thanks for this thread.

            Last edited by noodletoy; 09-02-2012, 03:23 PM.
            As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

            – Ernest Hemingway

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Lewis View Post
              Good. You don't want to be dizzy, do you?

              However, while I guess there's little harm in having a little fruit as you adapt, and it's certainly better than falling and breaking your nose or something, have a look at this post by Dr. Rades:



              The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. » Tips & tricks for starting (or restarting) low-carb Pt II
              This is a great article... read it awhile ago and just re-read it. Thanks for posting it. I supplemented both magnesium and potassium today even before reading it because I walked ten miles and don't want to get cramps tonight. I've been careful about salting my food and drinking enough water which is always challenging for me (the water part).

              Comment


              • avocado, miso soup or bone broth with a bit of salt will help balance your electrolytes also. all too often, people reach for sugar instead of thinking it might be something else. either way, the sugar is only a very short-term fix and will not get you down the road to ketosis.
                As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

                – Ernest Hemingway

                Comment


                • I just made bone broth...so will be drinking some this evening with salt. I agree with noodletoy... reach for salt and drink more water instead of sugar for dizziness.

                  Comment


                  • Yeah the bone broth is miracle food. I have been having a cup everyday first thing in the morning, and sometimes another cup after work instead of wine.

                    I'm loving the ability to fast again. I lost it during the potato months. I only partially fast because I have bone broth and coffee with a large amount of heavy cream in the morning before my first meal. Today my first real meal was after 4.5 miles of hiking up a steep mountain in the hot sun. It wasn't much of a meal, just a pemmican "puck" and a couple of coconut manna macadamia balls. Then I didn't eat again until 3:30 after I got home. I felt strong all during the hiking, both up and down. Even the hot sun didn't bother me much.
                    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                      Yeah the bone broth is miracle food. I have been having a cup everyday first thing in the morning, and sometimes another cup after work instead of wine.

                      I'm loving the ability to fast again. I lost it during the potato months. I only partially fast because I have bone broth and coffee with a large amount of heavy cream in the morning before my first meal. Today my first real meal was after 4.5 miles of hiking up a steep mountain in the hot sun. It wasn't much of a meal, just a pemmican "puck" and a couple of coconut manna macadamia balls. Then I didn't eat again until 3:30 after I got home. I felt strong all during the hiking, both up and down. Even the hot sun didn't bother me much.
                      Same here... I can fast again, too! Like you I have coffee with cream in the morning.

                      Comment


                      • for a few weeks i'd been having rice at work every few days. safe starch, eh? i didn't gain, but i felt bloated and icky after a very small serving of it. i certainly didn't lose, lol.

                        and yes, i like not feeling hungry for long stretches. i ate dinner at work (standing up) friday at about 5, then didn't eat again until saturday at 3ish. even more than the fasting, i like how this seems to regulate my appetite better. we were at a spanish place for lunch and got a plate of house-cured meats. i could not get in much, that's for sure. late dinner of raw fish and fish roe around 8, and then my first meal today was at 10. 2nd meal was at 5. am feeling better than i have in quite a while.
                        As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

                        – Ernest Hemingway

                        Comment


                        • i work 3 mornings per week, and usually have my first meal there. am wondering if i should try making it a fat bomb-- like that coconut cream with cocoa powder? my days at work are super active and i never sit down, so i don't know if that kind of thing is best 1st on those days or later? those days my next meal break is at 5ish. guess i need to see. tuesday is a double, so i guess that'll be the day.
                          As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

                          – Ernest Hemingway

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
                            [SIZE=3]avocado, miso soup or bone broth with a bit of salt will help balance your electrolytes also. all too often, people reach for sugar instead of thinking it might be something else. either way, the sugar is only a very short-term fix and will not get you down the road to ketosis.
                            Yes, a short term fix that becomes a need.

                            Originally posted by healthy11 View Post
                            I just made bone broth...so will be drinking some this evening with salt. I agree with noodletoy... reach for salt and drink more water instead of sugar for dizziness.
                            Yep. I need to make another batch of that stuff.

                            Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                            I'm loving the ability to fast again. I lost it during the potato months.
                            Hah!

                            Originally posted by healthy11 View Post
                            Same here... I can fast again, too! Like you I have coffee with cream in the morning.
                            I like coconut cream.

                            Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
                            for a few weeks i'd been having rice at work every few days. safe starch, eh? i didn't gain, but i felt bloated and icky after a very small serving of it. i certainly didn't lose, lol.
                            and yes, i like not feeling hungry for long stretches. am feeling better than i have in quite a while.
                            Doncha just love those safe starches?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                              Doncha just love those safe starches?
                              Yep, 'safe starches' are my friend. They didn't start me down the sugar highway again, they didn't mess up my IBS healing, they didn't start me feeling hungry every few hours. Yep, for me they were safe alright .

                              I have a question about ketosis. Can you please check my reasoning, and let me know what you think?? I'd appreciate it!

                              • Ketones are a by-product of metabolising fat
                              • Eating a high-fat, moderate-protein, low carb diet will teach my body to burn fat as its preferred fuel - but weight loss will still require a caloric deficit
                              • Measuring serum ketones (not urine overflow) should indicate whether my body is burning fat
                              • Low serum ketones indicates that I am not burning fat


                              OK, here's the question. If I'm not yet in deep ketosis, as evidenced by the serum ketones, and I fast for 24 hours, why would my ketone levels drop to a 'normal-diet' kind of level?? I don't know what my weight is doing at that time - I was travelling. I did the same thing yesterday (inadvertently fasted for 19 hours) and had a very minimal loss, like 200g in 2 days. My ketones were .3mmol/L last night.

                              My hypothesis is that my body has switched into panic mode (I'm quite overweight, so there's no shortage of fat to burn) and is going into starvation mode where it uses protein/muscles for fuel instead??
                              Last edited by Jac; 09-02-2012, 05:45 PM.
                              Started Feb 18 2011

                              Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

                              Journalling here

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Jac View Post
                                Yep, 'safe starches' are my friend. They didn't start me down the sugar highway again, they didn't mess up my IBS healing, they didn't start me feeling hungry every few hours. Yep, for me they were safe alright .

                                I have a question about ketosis. Can you please check my reasoning, and let me know what you think?? I'd appreciate it!

                                • Ketones are a by-product of metabolising fat
                                • Eating a high-fat, moderate-protein, low carb diet will teach my body to burn fat as its preferred fuel - but weight loss will still require a caloric deficit
                                • Measuring serum ketones (not urine overflow) should indicate whether my body is burning fat
                                • Low serum ketones indicates that I am not burning fat


                                OK, here's the question. If I'm not yet in deep ketosis, as evidenced by the serum ketones, and I fast for 24 hours, why would my ketone levels drop to a 'normal-diet' kind of level?? I don't know what my weight is doing at that time - I was travelling. I did the same thing yesterday (inadvertently fasted for 19 hours) and had a very minimal loss, like 200g in 2 days. My ketones were .3mmol/L last night.

                                My hypothesis is that my body has switched into panic mode (I'm quite overweight, so there's no shortage of fat to burn) and is going into starvation mode where it uses protein/muscles for fuel instead??
                                It seems like there are a lot of people particularly women who are coming around to realizing that just because a starch may be safe, as in it's not going to kill you, doesn't mean it is needed or even wanted in your diet. For someone with metabolic and digestive issues, even more so.

                                From my experience with fasting, the first 24 hours are the hard ones and the second day is a breeze, on top of the world euphoric even. I think that first day is when the metabolic alarm bells are ringing, OMG, there's no glucose what are we going to do OMG, OMG! The second day the body says, Oh, waddaya know, we have this fat here we could be burning, let's see if we remember how to do that. Ooooh, fat is yummy. Happy body.

                                So I think you would have to stay at it for another day to see the ketone readings go up.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X