No announcement yet.

EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you ladies are lifting heavy or are very athletic, I would suggest going with the high end of the range on protein.

Also Dr J K's recommendations are not carved in stone. Dr Phinney of The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living recommends 1.5 grams for every kilo of goal weight. That might be a more do-able target for some people.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leida View Post
      I just put my plan through the calculator today, and it came up with:

1450 cals 110 fat 31 TC (24 NC) 90 g protein

I am reluctant to let go of 300 g of salmon for supper to decrease protein in two. The rest of protein comes from 3 eggs. No egg whites. Is it really that bad to be higher on protein? If I half the salmon, I can get protein to the desired range, and my cals will go to 1200, but I can beef it up to 1300 with coconut milk/creamed coconut. I will keep both options in mind.
      Just had a look at your journal, and I agree with Paleobirds suggestion of 1.5gm protein per kg.
      What are your physical stats, and what calculator did you use to get those macros?
      "Continue being a man and you will be excellent. Pussy will rain from the sky. " - Legbiter
      Couldn't resist immortalizing this quote.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
        If you ladies are lifting heavy or are very athletic, I would suggest going with the high end of the range on protein.

Also Dr J K's recommendations are not carved in stone. Dr Phinney of The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living recommends 1.5 grams for every kilo of goal weight. That might be a more do-able target for some people.
        That's very do-able! I just started reading the book, so haven't reached that part yet. I got my lamb's liver for your pate... going to make it for dinner tonight! Thank you for the list above... very helpful.

Comment

• Originally posted by gopintos View Post
          My n=1 this week, was cutting back on red meat. I had already thought I needed to do that before I started reading all this.
          So I havent really lowered the protein, well working on it & I did somewhat, but mostly just a different kind of protein with more chicken and fish, and adding fat (which all added some calories but that is okay) So anyways, I had a gain from the weekend, family dinner day, so I gained come Monday morning. So in the last four days, I have lost 4 pounds. Did I say that in this thread already? So Monday morning was up, but Tues, Wed, Thur, and today - down 4 pounds. I know not all fat, but I think at least 2 pounds of it is.
          What I was doing was that I was doubling my protein intake and simultaneously halving the fat. I went from f/c/p of 120/80/120 on nonworkout days and 80/150/120 on workout days to a daily 50/120/200 (which eventually got to 250/150/250 with nuts). Maybe if I used butter with that chicken breast, but I didn't. I also agree with Choco on the point that a lot of standalone oils/fats are kind of processed, so I'll just go back to fatty cuts of meat.
          My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

• Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
            What I was doing was that I was doubling my protein intake and simultaneously halving the fat. I went from f/c/p of 120/80/120 on nonworkout days and 80/150/120 on workout days to a daily 50/120/200 (which eventually got to 250/150/250 with nuts). Maybe if I used butter with that chicken breast, but I didn't. I also agree with Choco on the point that a lot of standalone oils/fats are kind of processed, so I'll just go back to fatty cuts of meat.
            I agree with Chaco on that point too. In order to make chicken breast keto, you would have to soak it in butter. You would be better off eating some lamb shoulder or beef brisket. It seems to be just me but I really think chicken skin is nasty. It's not the fat that bothers me, obviously, it's the texture. Eww. So chicken is pretty much off my diet. Also there is the O3/O6 issue with chicken so it just doesn't seem worth the trouble to me.

Comment

• This thread has been very timely for me, as it has encouraged me to get back to where I started with paleo/primal.

When I started, it was on similar macro ratios with the exception that I've been around the 1.5 multiplier for protein all along.
              Right from the first week I experienced the high energy, mental alertness and weight loss. 6ft male, went from 88kg and 97cm trousers to 77kg and 87cm trousers in 3 or 4 months.

But then I increased my work load at the local non-paleo gym, and got involved with a group of non-paleo hikers. It was about this time I started hanging around the paleo forums as well, which as we know can be fraught with danger. Between these influences, and starting to plan some high altitude treks, I started fiddling with my carb and fat levels to the point where I started losing track of where I was at in terms of strength and vitality. And also felt confused on how to get back to where I had been.

So as of yesterday I'm back to @ 100-120gm P sub 50gm C and @ 300gm F
              "Continue being a man and you will be excellent. Pussy will rain from the sky. " - Legbiter
              Couldn't resist immortalizing this quote.

Comment

I agree with Chaco on that point too. In order to make chicken breast keto, you would have to soak it in butter. You would be better off eating some lamb shoulder or beef brisket. It seems to be just me but I really think chicken skin is nasty. It's not the fat that bothers me, obviously, it's the texture. Eww. So chicken is pretty much off my diet. Also there is the O3/O6 issue with chicken so it just doesn't seem worth the trouble to me.
                I don't care about the content of chicken fat as long as there are no antibiotics and shit involved, and I like the skin, especially when it's crispy, like chicharrones. I also love chicken feet and chicken liver, which still have chicken fat, so I'm still going to eat poultry every once in a while. Especially if I get off my lazy ass and make my own coconut milk, I'll drown my chicken breasts in some Thai curry.
                My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

• This is my favorite way to enjoy boneless skinless chicken thighs. Just made it last night and had leftovers for lunch ... still full at 3:30!

Easy Recipe: Bacon-Wrapped Smoky Chicken Thighs | Balanced Bites | Holistic & Paleo Nutrition Education
                  "For the great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie—deliberate, contrived, and dishonest—but the myth—persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic ... we enjoy the comfort of opinions without the discomfort of thought."
                  ---John F. Kennedy

Comment

• Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                    I don't venture into the realms of baking... due to sodium content(baking soda).

But I have considered it... and it might be tops for those "emergency" situations.
                    I keep thinking if I could stabilize an egg white foam with the coconut flour somehow it might work without leavening.
                    Like a souffle... but one that hopefully wouldn't FALL.
                    Try this recipe from LowCarbFriends: Ingredients: 1/2 a 3-oz bag
                    UNFLAVORED pork rinds
                    2 eggs
                    1/4 cup heavy cream
                    3 splenda packets
                    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
                    1/2 teaspoon vanilla

How To Prepare: Crumble pork rinds until the
                    resemble fine bread
                    crumbs.

Beat eggs well then mix
                    with the remaining
                    ingredients and beat again.
                    Add crushed pork rinds to
                    the egg/cream mixture and
                    allow to sit for 5 minutes.
                    Mix will thicken to a "gloppy"
                    phase.

Meanwhile, heat skillet or
                    griddle with butter or oil,
                    and when hot, fry pancakes
                    until golden brown on both
                    sides. Serve with lots of
                    butter and low-carb syrup.

If you don't tell someone
                    who eats them, they will
                    never have a CLUE that
                    these delicious french toast
                    pancakes are made with
                    pork rinds. THESE ARE
                    UNBELIEVABLE!! You WILL
                    be surprised at how
                    delicious these are!

Comment

• Originally posted by gempdx44 View Post
                      This is my favorite way to enjoy boneless skinless chicken thighs. Just made it last night and had leftovers for lunch ... still full at 3:30!

Easy Recipe: Bacon-Wrapped Smoky Chicken Thighs | Balanced Bites | Holistic & Paleo Nutrition Education
                      Looks really good... thanks!

Comment

If you ladies are lifting heavy or are very athletic, I would suggest going with the high end of the range on protein.
                        I was thinking exactly this just today. I'm pretty active. This week: Sunday, hike; Monday, bike commute, jogging 3 miles at lunch; Tuesday, bike commute, body pump class; Wednesday, very sore, took walk; Thursday, still sore, body pump class; Friday, still sore but jogged 5 miles anyway. I guess I'm pretty active and I don't feel like I'm eating too much protein. I never use protein powders. All my protein comes from meat.
                        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

The heaviest thing I lifted today was my big pan of pork out of the oven
                          65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

• Originally posted by Picaro View Post
                            This thread has been very timely for me, as it has encouraged me to get back to where I started with paleo/primal.

When I started, it was on similar macro ratios with the exception that I've been around the 1.5 multiplier for protein all along.
                            Right from the first week I experienced the high energy, mental alertness and weight loss. 6ft male, went from 88kg and 97cm trousers to 77kg and 87cm trousers in 3 or 4 months.

But then I increased my work load at the local non-paleo gym, and got involved with a group of non-paleo hikers. It was about this time I started hanging around the paleo forums as well, which as we know can be fraught with danger. Between these influences, and starting to plan some high altitude treks, I started fiddling with my carb and fat levels to the point where I started losing track of where I was at in terms of strength and vitality. And also felt confused on how to get back to where I had been.

So as of yesterday I'm back to @ 100-120gm P sub 50gm C and @ 300gm F
                            Yep. Exactly. Back to basics. Back to the reason the PB worked in the first place.

Comment

• I just wanted to jump in and say thank you so much Paleobird for starting this thread! I've been following it for the past few days since you started it, and it's been very helpful to me.

I can't eat eggs (make me nauseous) and so for the past couple of months, I've gravitated toward salami type meats and/or cheese for breakfasts (kind of a European thing I'm finding). I usually can't eat much for breakfast (steak, or tuna salad, or whatever) it usually makes me feel ill. But in the past I've been able to eat 300-350 calories in sliced meats and cheeses and I've felt good. Also, I've usually been trying to leave the carbs for the evening so that it doesn't spike my insulin too early in the day.

So anyway, this thread kind of crystallized things for me. Helped me realize that for me, like so many others, a more ketogenic way of eating, really is better for me. Perhaps my body had been trying to tell me this for months? I've adjusted my macros accordingly to up the fats and drop the protein even further.

So thanks for starting the thread! We'll see how things go moving forward.

Edit: Oh, and thanks to the person who posted the chocolate coconut milk pudding recipe! I've been looking forward to trying it ever since you mentioned it!
                              Last edited by lissee; 09-01-2012, 02:36 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trojan View Post
                                I'm taking notes girl!

I'd love to dip into Ketosis for a few days to speed my fat loss along, just unsure how to get there.
                                Same here Trojan. I'm scouring the posts for something that says exactly what Ketosis is, how to get there, how long it takes and how you know when you're there.

Comment

Working...
                                X