Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Goldie View Post
    Wow, my body type looks almost exactly like yours, including the tummy structure. I'm two inches shorter but about four pounds lighter, which sounds about right. I eat about 1300 cals/day but with no exercise (no kids either).

    This may be TMI: but if I'm a very good girl and follow Primal 95% for a couple weeks with no snacking, I get a pretty consistent *ahem* good bowel urge within 10 minutes of breakfast, days in a row, usually followed by a pound or two of fat loss and a smaller stomach and a little more self-confidence. I wonder if this is a sign of ketosis, or just efficient body fat burn.

    Urban forager, with some practice, you can "eyeball" your calories by sight. Take a few pictures of a typical day's food. Find a good calorie counter (I use fitday.com), and enter it in to see where you are. Adjust the portions or whatever to find a the calorie level you want. Prepare another day of food, again taking pictures. Now line up the pictures to get an idea of how big the lumps on the plate should be.
    5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
      Dang, I am jealous! I'm at a 225x5, so I guess it's a similar lift. Different body types indeed!
      And I am jealous of your deadlifts number! I made some goals with my trainer a few weeks ago (justbefore my thumb injury, go figure) and my goal is 240 for the DL. You are practically already there!
      Last edited by gempdx44; 08-31-2012, 07:48 AM. Reason: typo
      "For the great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie—deliberate, contrived, and dishonest—but the myth—persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic ... we enjoy the comfort of opinions without the discomfort of thought."
      ---John F. Kennedy

      Comment


      • 240 lbs on the deadlift before this year is out is my goal too. My PB was 205 so far.

        What other goals do you gals have?

        Mine are:

        SQT: 180 (PB is 155 lbs)
        BP: 95 lbs
        OHP: clean 70 lbs lift, I can do a push press now, but I want a clean 70 lbs lift!
        BBR: 110 lbs with no hip action
        My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
        When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by gempdx44 View Post
          And I am jealous of your deadlifts number! I made some goals with my trainer a few weeks ago (justbefore my thumb injury, go figure) and my goal is 240 for the DL. You are practically already there!
          Haha, thanks. I also have a finger injury right now after going bowling, so I won't be making any gains these next few weeks, for sure. As of right now my max is 265x1, but I am aiming for 2x bodyweight by the end of the year, which means probably losing another 10 lbs to 140 and increasing my DL to 280. Since I started seriously doing deadlifts in March, for which my 1rm was 230-235, I am getting pretty anxious xD
          My chocolatey Primal journey

          Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Leida View Post
            240 lbs on the deadlift before this year is out is my goal too. My PB was 205 so far.

            What other goals do you gals have?

            Mine are:

            SQT: 180 (PB is 155 lbs)
            BP: 95 lbs
            OHP: clean 70 lbs lift, I can do a push press now, but I want a clean 70 lbs lift!
            BBR: 110 lbs with no hip action
            *****************

            Hi Leida,

            My end of year goals are:

            Achieve body fat % of 20%. (currently 23-24%)

            Bench Press: 135 pounds
            Back Squat: 185 pounds
            Front Squat: 135 pounds
            Deadlift: 240 pounds
            Pullup/Chinup:at least one pullup or chinup, unassisted

            It's funny, out of all these I am most scared of the pullup/chinup! I feel like I am so far from even being able to do 1. My trainer won't allow kipping, so no assistance from momentum, LOL.
            "For the great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie—deliberate, contrived, and dishonest—but the myth—persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic ... we enjoy the comfort of opinions without the discomfort of thought."
            ---John F. Kennedy

            Comment


            • The thing that helped me the most with the chin up and pull up was weighted negatives. I started with 5 lb plate (I loked like an idiot), and then went to 10 lbs plate. By the time I could do 12 30 sec negatives with 10 lbs plate, was when I first did full chin-up. Pull-up took longer since my tricep was never the super-star. Don't be afraid, think about one of the best thrills you gonna get in life. I still get it every time my chin flies over that bar! Chin and pull-up is a no-nonsense achievement.

              Wow, those some sweet numbers!!! I can't even dream of the BP with the biggest plate 115 lbs is my wildest fantasy You are super-talented!
              My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
              When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                Haha, thanks. I also have a finger injury right now after going bowling, so I won't be making any gains these next few weeks, for sure. As of right now my max is 265x1, but I am aiming for 2x bodyweight by the end of the year, which means probably losing another 10 lbs to 140 and increasing my DL to 280. Since I started seriously doing deadlifts in March, for which my 1rm was 230-235, I am getting pretty anxious xD
                I just glanced at your journal, I am guessing you are still in your twenties? Now I'm really jealous. You are getting such a great head start with healthy eating and exercising. I spent my twenties, thirties, and the first half of my forties eating a "healthy whole grains" diet and doing chronic cardio and wondering why my weight kept going up and I always looked puffy!
                Thank goodness for Paleo/Primal and weightlifting - honestly, without these two changes I would look a lot more like the average 45 year old woman I see around me - puffy and carrying an extra 30-40 pounds.
                "For the great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie—deliberate, contrived, and dishonest—but the myth—persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic ... we enjoy the comfort of opinions without the discomfort of thought."
                ---John F. Kennedy

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Leida View Post
                  The thing that helped me the most with the chin up and pull up was weighted negatives. I started with 5 lb plate (I loked like an idiot), and then went to 10 lbs plate. By the time I could do 12 30 sec negatives with 10 lbs plate, was when I first did full chin-up. Pull-up took longer since my tricep was never the super-star. Don't be afraid, think about one of the best thrills you gonna get in life. I still get it every time my chin flies over that bar! Chin and pull-up is a no-nonsense achievement.

                  Wow, those some sweet numbers!!! I can't even dream of the BP with the biggest plate 115 lbs is my wildest fantasy You are super-talented!
                  Aw. Thank you! But I think YOU are the talented one. Right now I can bench 90-100 pounds but can't do a single pullup.
                  Isn't it funny how we all develop strength differently? My trainer also claims I have strong legs for a gurl ...
                  "For the great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie—deliberate, contrived, and dishonest—but the myth—persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic ... we enjoy the comfort of opinions without the discomfort of thought."
                  ---John F. Kennedy

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Goldie View Post
                    I'm 55, 5'2" (157.5cm), ~107lbs/48.5kg, I wear an American size 2 in most brands. I maintain with about 1500 calories a day, 60-70% fat, around 50g carbs give or take. Does your size have any effect on how few grams of carbs you need to be in ketosis? I always have plenty of energy (a coworker told me I'm naturally caffeinated!)

                    I'm usually the one holding the camera so I don't have many pics of me, but hubby caught me by surprise in the backyard last weekend:

                    DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN

                    New forum crush in 3, 2, 1
                    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

                    Predator not Prey
                    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

                    CW 315 | SW 506
                    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66


                    Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

                    Comment


                    • Oxide, thanks for the tip about taking pictures of what I eat. This morning I started measuring and writing down what I eat. I'll have to experiment and see what method works best for me.
                      Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

                      Comment


                      • Aw. Thank you! But I think YOU are the talented one. Right now I can bench 90-100 pounds but can't do a single pullup.
                        Isn't it funny how we all develop strength differently? My trainer also claims I have strong legs for a gurl ...
                        Here is to meeting our goals! hhe, trust me, I did my share of hanging around that bar looking like a ragdoll, and making the whole jumping up and pulling up, and the negatives with the 5 lbs plate probably made the Top 10 funniest things in my gym. Chin-ups and pull-ups will come. It will click. In all likelihood, if your bench is this high, it is a body working together thing, rather than muscular strength. I am trying to line up the trainer, and didn't get a call back for 2 weeks, that's so infuriating! I really want someone to observe me and get a form check. With both OHP and BP I gained a few lbs on the lifts once I readjusted the form. Anyway, sorry to go chatting like that
                        My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                        When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

                        Comment


                        • I spent my 20s looking like this


                          Funny thing is I used to have a racing bike back then and rode all the time.

                          So, regarding the whole HSIS method...

                          Wow, it is really super hard to eat that much fat! My target with the whole HSIS method is 108-162g and that's actually quite a challenge. I overdo it on protein, too. I know that PB's typical day is two meals, one very small more like a snack, and a bigger meal at dinner. My hat is off to you, PB, to be able to eat that much fat on so few meals. I can barely reach my target snarfing three meals a day and overdoing it on total calories.

                          What I wonder is if I can actually achieve these HSIS targets, will it actually help me lose weight. Only one way to find out. Oh man, do I gotta take my kitchen creativity to a whole new level...
                          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by gempdx44 View Post
                            Aw. Thank you! But I think YOU are the talented one. Right now I can bench 90-100 pounds but can't do a single pullup.
                            Isn't it funny how we all develop strength differently? My trainer also claims I have strong legs for a gurl ...
                            Naw, I agree with Leida; 135 is a really amazing to be able to hit. Right now mine are at 95 lbs (a decrease from 105 half a year ago).

                            Originally posted by gempdx44 View Post
                            I just glanced at your journal, I am guessing you are still in your twenties? Now I'm really jealous. You are getting such a great head start with healthy eating and exercising. I spent my twenties, thirties, and the first half of my forties eating a "healthy whole grains" diet and doing chronic cardio and wondering why my weight kept going up and I always looked puffy!
                            Thank goodness for Paleo/Primal and weightlifting - honestly, without these two changes I would look a lot more like the average 45 year old woman I see around me - puffy and carrying an extra 30-40 pounds.
                            Haha thanks! I am noticing the puffy changes too - I only get puffy on days when I go bezerk on the fruit carbs - 400g or so. I guess I am pretty lucky. I think a lot of it has to do with putting my mom's diet into consideration. She used to harp on me for eating so much fiber from wheat products and question why I didn't want to eat the fat from the pork she always cooked with various vegetables. There was never that much junk in the house either - so I guess I"m coming full circle back to childhood days. If only she would see how beneficial lifting weights are now...
                            My chocolatey Primal journey

                            Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

                            Comment


                            • Today's keto-ish breakfast:
                              Four eggs cooked in mixed oils, drank oils from bowl - so yummy.
                              One pound of bacon.

                              I realize this is a lot of protein, but I'm most likely only eating once today, so aside from that brief glucose spike I'll be burning fat for the next 23-ish hours.
                              Crohn's, doing SCD

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                                I think the thyroid thing is totally overblown and an urban legend that won't die. There are a lot of hormonal changes that happen in your body when you cut the carbs. This does not mean that they are bad changes. The thyroid hormones change but that doesn't mean you have hosed your thyroid. It just means your body is making sure it doesn't eat it's own muscle to get a carb fix. It's part of how it relies on fat for energy instead. You WANT your body to do that. It's really very similar to how your insulin hormone is also lower on a low carb diet. It's just what happens.
                                ^this --- and......... my doctor is a Paleo preaching MD and crossfitter herself! I have hypothyroidism and am currently trying to find my sweet spot on Armour Thyroid. She has never told me there is any connection between VLC and thyroid issues. She fully supports my low carb lifestyle and encourages me to continue on. I'd say there is nothing to be concerned about. I shoot for 10% carbs.
                                1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                                2. Eat to heal
                                3. Move to live
                                4. Embrace today
                                5. Live with intention
                                6. Respect my body
                                7. Cultivate joy
                                8. Find my passion
                                9. Meditate on peace in my soul

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X