EAT MOAR FAT! I'm finally GETTING it.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Okay I mentioned this thread to hubby who is committed to loosing weight and eating primal but likes to have me help him; he doesn't want to research it himself. Here's the thing...... I have never counted a calorie or carb or even measured my food. In fact doing so sounds incredibly tedious, one more step before I put the food on the plate. He says he's willing to change his macros if I help him find out what they should be. He also thinks it would be good for us to see where our calories are coming from. After reading this thread I've decided I could stand to loose a few pounds myself.

Any suggestions where I should start? Here's a little background we've been primal for 2 yrs. I've lost 22 lbs.; Hubby's lost 40.
    I'm 52 5'2" 120lbs. He's 49 6'2" 230 lbs.
    Sounds like both of you are pretty close to your goals. Well done on the collective 66 shed pounds.
    Have you ever done any looking around at the online calorie/macro tracking sites? There are a bunch of them. I use SparkPeople. I highly suggest that before trying to change anything, you just do a couple of weeks of a "where do we stand?" analysis. Sort of a diagnostic test. Then you will have a better idea of what needs to change. This close to your goals, you are getting down to the fine tuning stage.

Comment

• Originally posted by tomi View Post
      You look amazing, Goldie!
      Yeah, "Goldie" is really pretty. Not a bad looking human she has either.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
        LOL PB!

Thanks, all. I have had the good fortune of growing up with a mom who cooked 60-70% primal before it had a label. I've raised my kids the same way, and all three are very fit and active. Son was on a Navy SEAL team for 4 years, older daughter is runner and rock climber, younger daughter is a Crossfitter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
          Ditto!
          1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
          2. Eat to heal
          3. Move to live
          4. Embrace today
          5. Live with intention
          6. Respect my body
          7. Cultivate joy
          8. Find my passion
          9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
            WHAT, seriously? I am 5'4", 150, and a size 10, kind of close to size 8. How much do you deadlift?
            I just started deadlifting, and got up to sets of 10 at 135 before I sprained my thumb. Not much, I know. I was backsquatting 150 before my injury, also. Again, nothing huge. I have just always been very "solid" my whole life. At my heaviest, which was 180 pounds, I wore a 10 or 12.
            "For the great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie—deliberate, contrived, and dishonest—but the myth—persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic ... we enjoy the comfort of opinions without the discomfort of thought."
            ---John F. Kennedy

Comment

• Thanks Paleobird, I will check out SparkPeople. That makes sense to see where we stand and then go from there.
              Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• Originally posted by gempdx44 View Post
                I just started deadlifting, and got up to sets of 10 at 135 before I sprained my thumb. Not much, I know. I was backsquatting 150 before my injury, also. Again, nothing huge. I have just always been very "solid" my whole life. At my heaviest, which was 180 pounds, I wore a 10 or 12.
                Dang, I am jealous! I'm at a 225x5, so I guess it's a similar lift. Different body types indeed!
                My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie View Post
                  LOL PB!

Thanks, all. I have had the good fortune of growing up with a mom who cooked 60-70% primal before it had a label. I've raised my kids the same way, and all three are very fit and active. Son was on a Navy SEAL team for 4 years, older daughter is runner and rock climber, younger daughter is a Crossfitter.
                  Yes, I consider myself fortunate to have grown up in a very health conscious house as well. The worst thing I ate growing up were some "heathy whole grains" and tofu. Physical activity was always a part of family life. Going Primal for me was not really that big a switch. It's just a refinement of the way I have always eaten.

Comment

• Paleobird - thank you.
                    I am 7kg down, and have 19kg to go. I am currently 79/80 kg. Age = 48, height= 1.7m, and am in the process of getting back into jogging/walking 1/2 - 1 hour per day. Am just upping the time out on the road. I do strength training 2/3 times per week. I have looked at my calorie intake and have readjusted for tomorrow and will begin again. ( I have been eating huge calories !!!!!)I realise that for my height, my weight could be quite fine at 65kg, but would like to try in the long term for 60kg.
                    anyway thank you. You are truely an inspiration with your advice and your wisdom.
                    have the best day, and I shall head off to bed for the night !
                    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

• I have Jan Kwasniewski's book from ages ago. My parents found him when I was around 15. Being Polish, and Mom being into health stuff, I'm wasn't surprised.

Mom read it, and they both started eating in Jan's fashion. They lost weight, and I distinctly remember them saying how much more energy they had.

Then Ma was all like "YOU NEED MOAR FAT! DAT IS WHY YOU HAVE CRAMPS!", so I ate scrambled eggs in butter every day. It helped.

Until my body was like "NO MOAR EGGS" and I vomited on the way to class one morning

I wish I could read Polish better than I can! Or somehow get the book translated?

I remember Ma making this egg type 'cake' that she cut into squares from the book. It was very filling and kind of sweet but mostly savoury.

Unfortunately, they didn't stick with it.

When I start Crossfit regularly again, I'm going to seriously track what I'm eating on WOD days and off days to see how I do. This thread is wonderful. I don't have weight to lose, and I *think* I can handle carbs fine. Back to the drawing board!
                      A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

• any comments on vlc and thyroid issues for women - I think I have seen posts that there could be a link posted before?? It kinda scares me - but then I am a wuss and easily scared by "you could do permanent damage" stuff..

I am experimenting on myself and, according to a formula based on body weight that was posted on this thread, at 66kg I should be eating 66g protein, 33g carbs and 132g fat a day?? I am a bit "off" today then at 96g protein, 43g carbs and 72g fat. MOAR fat, as you say. BUT its lower protein and higher fat than I have been doing so lets see.

If it might give me satiety, energy, potential weight loss/maintenance (if I watch calories) and no cravings, I'm up for a month or so to see what happens - that should be long enough right?

Comment

• Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
                          Paleobird - thank you.
                          I am 7kg down, and have 19kg to go. I am currently 79/80 kg. Age = 48, height= 1.7m, and am in the process of getting back into jogging/walking 1/2 - 1 hour per day. Am just upping the time out on the road. I do strength training 2/3 times per week. I have looked at my calorie intake and have readjusted for tomorrow and will begin again. ( I have been eating huge calories !!!!!)I realise that for my height, my weight could be quite fine at 65kg, but would like to try in the long term for 60kg.
                          anyway thank you. You are truely an inspiration with your advice and your wisdom.
                          have the best day, and I shall head off to bed for the night !
                          It's an interesting thing with goal weights, you can't know how they will look on you till you get there. I am 5'4" and have recently reached 60kg and I've found it's plenty skinny enough. Even though it's the same weight I was at 18 I'm pretty sure I have more muscle now, therefore my bodyfat % must be less. Anyway, I dont want to actually look like a teenager any more. Gwamma, you are taller than me, and you also do strength training, so I suspect you would not need to go this low. You are probably closer to your goal than you realise, keep up the good work.
                          Annie Ups the Ante
                          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• You look amazing, Goldie!
                            +1

Okay, I think is 25-30 g is net carb, then I do not have to count stuff. I will see if I chicken out this Saturday and still do a carb-up, leaning towards Cyclic -Ketonic rather than full-time ketonic. I did not follow the supper meal plan yesterday, swapping canned salmon with spinach for leftover chicken breast pieces fried with bacon bits and a bit of cheese sprinkle to crispy 'em up and the brown butter & sunflower seed zucchini, so I do not know my ratios, but I am pretty sure they are decent enough. Feeling good so far, no dizzy spells, no artificial hunger.
                            Last edited by Leida; 08-31-2012, 06:23 AM.
                            My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                            When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

• I think the thyroid thing is totally overblown and an urban legend that won't die. There are a lot of hormonal changes that happen in your body when you cut the carbs. This does not mean that they are bad changes. The thyroid hormones change but that doesn't mean you have hosed your thyroid. It just means your body is making sure it doesn't eat it's own muscle to get a carb fix. It's part of how it relies on fat for energy instead. You WANT your body to do that. It's really very similar to how your insulin hormone is also lower on a low carb diet. It's just what happens.
                              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                                I think the thyroid thing is totally overblown and an urban legend that won't die. There are a lot of hormonal changes that happen in your body when you cut the carbs. This does not mean that they are bad changes. The thyroid hormones change but that doesn't mean you have hosed your thyroid. It just means your body is making sure it doesn't eat it's own muscle to get a carb fix. It's part of how it relies on fat for energy instead. You WANT your body to do that. It's really very similar to how your insulin hormone is also lower on a low carb diet. It's just what happens.
                                thanks for the reassurance sbhikes!! Change is scary I guess, whatever it is.

Comment

Working...
                                X